Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradlw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm an old diver with about 20 years of rust on my fins. I've been thinking about doing a family adventure vacation and getting my wife and kids certified while I join them as a refresher course. Kids are currently 17, 14, and 11.

Tons of questions, but this one is about computers

Family would just be using rental gear for the class. We'll see if any interest is sparked before spending on stuff for them
and I suppose really I wouldn't want to spend much on my stuff either till I know if any of them end up wanting to dive more.

I've still got all my old equipment and my primary computer was an Aladin Pro Nitrox
I had pretty much figured out a long time ago that a diver with experience and knowledge, pretty much any recreational charter type shallow dive on us Al 80 tanks that a computer doesn't really need a computer
but, I also understand that they pretty much don't teach tables anymore....and even back when I was active most charters pretty much expected or required divers to use computers

Now that I'm thinking about getting my stuff out of storage, service whatever is serviceable or replace whatever isn't.....

is there anything about the current computers (focus on the lower priced nitrox types), is there really any inherent reason that I should consider upgrading? assuming of course that I can even find anyone to replace the battery in my old unit
What features would exist now that I don't have in my fossil of a computer?

My aladin uses the ZH-L8 ADT deco model....if that helps

And if I were to upgrade to something new, which ones would you suggest I consider?

just basic Nitrox/air diving, I'm not thinking I'll ever do any more serious tech diving or trimix again.
wrist mount
not interested in the expense of air integrated stuff

The Aladin Pro Nitrox is a great computer, I used one for many years and it was my backup for some time also. This company can replace the battery or you can do it yourself following guides available on You Tube and other sites..

As long as it is still working then there is no reason to replace it with a new computer of any brands.
Change of battery is walk in the park and I had done it few times with mine and others and yet to fail.
The computer probably display ERR, if it has has not been used for several yrs, at one of the bottom corner. Normal.
I am still using the one I bought in 1997.

pretty sure my screen has been blank for several years now. Battery died a long time ago.

I just remember it being not user replaceable and there not being an obvious way to get at the battery

Lots of videos showing how it is done.
Thank you.
Interesting way to "reboot" the computer.
I used other method! There are many ways to skin a cat.

Thank you.
Interesting way to "reboot" the computer.
I used other method! There are many ways to skin a cat.
Maybe you could mention your method as the battery one sometimes takes multiple tries.

Hi
Another trick with this model:
If you set it at 50%, it functions as a gauge but will beep during the whole dive :)

The Aladin Pro Nitrox is a great computer, I used one for many years and it was my backup for some time also. This company can replace the battery or you can do it yourself following guides available on You Tube and other sites..
Getting the air out on re-assembly appears to be the hardest part of the battery swap. Lots of used units have air bubbles. Best to get enough extra oil to completely submerge the unit when replacing the membrane. It can get messy. Using a battery replacement service is a good idea.

Check the strap for signs of cracking. It is trivial to create a bungee cord strap replacement.

No reason not to renew the battery as this is a great computer for rec diving. Large screen, easy to read.

Otherwise consider asking for around $30 on eBay as is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom