AL Mikron 1st Stage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drkcurrent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey All,

Just got a new AL Mikron Regulator package for the holidays and I have a question about the first stage.

What is this metal cover on the yoke? Is this the ACD?

Capture.JPG

The one I have the ACD shutter valve is smooth on top. Have you tried to put it on a tank?

That is the current version of the ACD Shutter valve. You can see it in the following video at time 5m33s:

Earlier versions of the shutter valve had a smooth face.

-Z

The ACD quietly acquired that ridge as a result of three cases of gas shutoff DURING a dive. Aqualung never admitted a design flaw, but posted an advisory about shutter valve torque.
What apparently happened is that a loose shutter valve smooth face occluded a 6mm DIN insert in a tank valve. The new ridge now prevents total face contact with the insert, allowing continued gas flow even if the shutter valve loosens.

See this thread:

Overall not a bad concept, like Rob said while they never admitted there was an issue they did implement a fix. This is one of the most often seen regulators in the warm water dive destinations I’ve been to and it’s better now.

The ACD quietly acquired that ridge as a result of three cases of gas shutoff DURING a dive. Aqualung never admitted a design flaw, but posted an advisory about shutter valve torque.
What apparently happened is that a loose shutter valve smooth face occluded a 6mm DIN insert in a tank valve. The new ridge now prevents total face contact with the insert, allowing continued gas flow even if the shutter valve loosens.

See this thread:
They never updated diagram. I just bought (a steal) a NOS early legend with the smooth ACD shutter valve, I'll order a ridged one, it'll make me feel better. Thanks for the info.

4F5E9DCE-A91C-4A69-A4F0-172170F283B7.jpeg

1D7F5A4F-0B3E-457E-AA96-44778D1140FE.jpeg

2964DA5D-BA09-4824-961F-C7C3D55AA420.jpeg

Sorry to kinda highjack, how do you undo the ACD shutter valve? Is there a hex on the underside? I've not disassembled yet and don't have manual.

Also SCT sell this tool, is it necessary?

Cheers.

Sorry to kinda highjack, how do you undo the ACD shutter valve? Is there a hex on the underside? I've not disassembled yet and don't have manual.

Also SCT sell this tool, is it necessary?

Cheers.
I will send you the service manual for the Core via WhatsApp. If yor 1st stage is FIN then you need a DIN to yoke adapter. The manual has full details for both yoke and DIN

-Z

I will send you the service manual for the Core via WhatsApp. If yor 1st stage is FIN then you need a DIN to yoke adapter. The manual has full details for both yoke and DIN

-Z
Thank you sir.

It's this one, yoke.

2928711A-930C-4004-9180-F90C60DEAE7B.jpeg

Realized I didn't have the file on my phone so pulled out the laptop and decided to post the file here in case others have a use for it.

I have not been able to locate a service manual for the ACD version of the Legend, but the directions for disassembly/assembly of the ACD mechanism should be the same.

Happy new year!

-Z

Attachments

• Aqualung Core 1st stage service manual.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 74

Back
Top Bottom