Help with redundant pressure guage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm setting up a redundant high-pressure gauge on an Aqualung Mikron, which has two high-pressure ports.

First question: I ordered this guage on Amazon that looks to have the HP Swivel Pin in it. Will I need anything other than an HP hose to add this to my Mikron?
Second question: I replacing the o-ring in my Aqualung transmitter and if you scroll down to the bottom of that hyperlinked page for the transmitter it says the o-right is a "The High Pressure o-ring located at the base of the transmitter is Size AS568-012, Viton™ material while the battery cap o-ring used is Size AS568-016, Nitrile (Buna-N) A70". Does anyone know if these are just the standard o-rings for "yoke", (not DIN) tanks?

Thanks
Marty

I don't think you will find many on here that believe in redundant pressure gauges so I will ask you, why do you think you need a redundant gauge while you're in the water? If you have done your dive planning properly and experience a transmitter failure then you just conduct your ascent as normal since you have adequate reserves. When you get on the boat, swap to the SPG in your regulator bag and you won't miss the next dive.

After that, can advise technically how to put them both on if you really must but I would urge you to really step back and analyze why you think you need both at the same time

I am a firm believer of redundancy for deep/deco dives.
However installing two SPGs on the same reg makes little sense to me...
The first and most important redundancy is to use a large tank with two valves.
The second one is to use two independent regs, one for each valve.
Only after these two redundancies are in place I can consider the idea of having an SPG (or a transmitter) on each of the two first stages...

The O-Ring Store:

The O-Ring Store ships fast.

I'm setting up a redundant high-pressure gauge on an Aqualung Mikron, which has two high-pressure ports.

First question: I ordered this guage on Amazon that looks to have the HP Swivel Pin in it. Will I need anything other than an HP hose to add this to my Mikron?
Second question: I replacing the o-ring in my Aqualung transmitter and if you scroll down to the bottom of that hyperlinked page for the transmitter it says the o-right is a "The High Pressure o-ring located at the base of the transmitter is Size AS568-012, Viton™ material while the battery cap o-ring used is Size AS568-016, Nitrile (Buna-N) A70". Does anyone know if these are just the standard o-rings for "yoke", (not DIN) tanks?

Thanks
Marty

Why do you feel like you need redundancy in your spg

Looks like I have come to the wrong place if I want to put on a redundant air gauge. What is my reason??The reason is while in the Maldives on a liveaboard far from from a place to get a new transmitter or a gauge for that matter my transmitter died. Yes I did just end my dive but for it to end the trip because I no way to check my pressure? Not good.

Yes I did just end my dive but for it to end the trip because I no way to check my pressure?
I keep an SPG & hose in my dive bag so my trip isn't fouled up -- 2 minutes to swap if necessary. I normally have only the AI on the reg so the odds of having to end a dive are half as much as when both are installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom