Airlines reduce carry-on bag size..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw this article today and thought I would pass it on.

I don't know how much they will be enforcing this but thought a heads up might be warranted.

Here is a paragraph from the article..

-- George Hobica of Airefarewatcdog was taking a routine jaunt through airport security when he noticed something troubling. American Airlines had cut its carry-on restrictions to a max width of 14 inches, down from the former 15. Apparently Delta and United have also followed suit. --

Click Here to read the full article

Lemme tell you the checkin peeps at Cancun are tough on carryons. We got nailed on a carryon one. Well be it our friend carryon did strain the limits but didn't get a look on the way down.

The prior restrictions did not seem to deter the morons who would spend 5-6 minutes blocking the airplane aisle trying to cram a suitcase (that obviously would not fit, even with the old measurements) into the overheads. It was like watching a very young child trying to put a square block in a round hole. At some point you felt like screaming "You idiot, can't you see that is not going to fit?" But we don't, do we? So I would not spend too much time worrying about this as long as airlines don't start charging for last minute gate checked bags that don't fit because the bins are full.

I use an "international carry-on" sized bag that's smaller than US domestic carry-on allowances. It meets every airline's requirements, and usually fits fine in puddle-jumpers. It's the brand most used by flight crew so ought to be pretty recognizable to gate personnel.

Naturally, I constantly get told I can't carry it on, it won't fit, etc.

There is always someone with their extended family inside a giant duffel that they use to crush and mangle everything else in the overhead bin until finally forced to gate-check it.

The prior restrictions did not seem to deter the morons who would spend 5-6 minutes blocking the airplane aisle trying to cram a suitcase (that obviously would not fit, even with the old measurements) into the overheads. It was like watching a very young child trying to put a square block in a round hole. At some point you felt like screaming "You idiot, can't you see that is not going to fit?" But we don't, do we? So I would not spend too much time worrying about this as long as airlines don't start charging for last minute gate checked bags that don't fit because the bins are full.

You often hear loudspeaker announcements telling people that the carryons fit in better if the handle end is put in first. It really does make a difference.

I was one watching someone near me trying to jam the carry on in as you describe, and it obviously was not going to go. The loudspeaker had repeated the "handle end in" announcement several times. I think the speaker was watching this idiot, too. I finally stood up, offered to help, turned it around, and slid it in easily. She said, Wow! I didn't know that would make a difference." I said it was a secret the airlines were trying to keep from us.

You often hear loudspeaker announcements telling people that the carryons fit in better if the handle end is put in first. It really does make a difference.

Really? Flights I am on they are always 'yelling wheels in first!!'

I was one watching someone near me trying to jam the carry on in as you describe, and it obviously was not going to go. The loudspeaker had repeated the "handle end in" announcement several times. I think the speaker was watching this idiot, too. I finally stood up, offered to help, turned it around, and slid it in easily. She said, Wow! I didn't know that would make a difference." I said it was a secret the airlines were trying to keep from us.

Really? Flights I am on they are always 'yelling wheels in first!!'
It depends on your bag's dimensions & the jetliner's overhead storage bin space; put it in anyway that fits and still have bin compartment door closure. . .

We have to gate any overhead sized carry on at my local airport, so we only travel with under seat ones.

The he gate checking system is just designed for loss. Not to mention it shortens connections.

-- American Airlines had cut its carry-on restrictions to a max width of 14 inches, down from the former 15. Apparently Delta and United have also followed suit.

Figured that was only a matter of time. Somebody had crunched the numbers at some point of how much money they could save if the domestics adopted the international carryon size limits, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Just more fuel on the fire to hate the airlines. Now ranked as the most hated industry in the world by consumers, in 2014 they beat out used car salesman, ranking lower than them for the first time.

Up here in the great white north I wish they would enforce the rules regarding carryons. I've seen some monster suitcases brought on, nobody seems to care about the rules. There was a YouTube clip where on a newer "HD" 777 there wasn't enough room on board for all the carry on so they had to be stowed below. Only the ground crew didn't feel like walking up and down the stairs so they dropped the bags to the ground 20' below....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom