Airlines reduce carry-on bag size..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted about this in General Travel since it affects all routes. It still pisses me off as the airlines caused the carry-on problem with their greedy luggage rules & fees, and now I may have to buy a new roll-on.

You often hear loudspeaker announcements telling people that the carryons fit in better if the handle end is put in first. It really does make a difference.
Never heard that one. :idk:

We have to gate any overhead sized carry on at my local airport, so we only travel with under seat ones.

The he gate checking system is just designed for loss. Not to mention it shortens connections.
:confused: What?

Not sure what you are questioning:

The overhead bins on the regional jets we have at our airports won't almost fit any rolling bags, so they make anyone with them gate-check them. So we choose to only fly with things that can go under the seats after being so annoyed with previous gate check experiences.

Designed for loss: half the time the attendants don't give people the opposite end of the tag, and many times people are new to flying and don't know to ask for it. Therefore you have nothing to claim your bag with. Additionally, they have you just put your stuff on the jet bridge, and proceed, with it unattended, onto the plane. It would be very easy for another passenger to grab something out of a bag, because everyone usually spends a few seconds routing in their bags to take whatever they wanted on the plane. It wouldn't look unusual at all for someone to be going through a bag. Third- I've OFTEN gotten to airports where someone says their bag isn't there at the end of the flight. Usually the flight attendant will assume it was left in the previous city, so that must happen often enough they aren't surprised by it. So it isn't a permanent loss, I hope, but most people put stuff in their carry on because they want it with them that day. (Not to mention the tossing from the jet bridge thing. They sometimes use a mechanical lift, but it isn't uncommon to just see them throw the bags. I expect that with my luggage, but not with my carry on. There is a reason I put stuff in the carry on!)

It shortens connections because you have to wait for them to get all the carry on bags back up to the bridge. This usually takes 5 minutes for them to even start. Most of the time we are off the plane, waiting for the bags to even show up.

All of it. When you leave words out and add odd ones, I am left to guess - and if I could read minds, I'd be married. :D
We have to gate any overhead sized carry on at my local airport, so we only travel with under seat ones.

The he gate checking system is just designed for loss. Not to mention it shortens connections.

That makes more sense, thanks...
The overhead bins on the regional jets we have at our airports won't almost fit any rolling bags, so they make anyone with them gate-check them. So we choose to only fly with things that can go under the seats after being so annoyed with previous gate check experiences.
We get those and that need too. I just put anything breakable and the most valuable in my backpack, gate check the roll-on holding onto my checked stub, and I'm fine.

Designed for loss: half the time the attendants don't give people the opposite end of the tag, and many times people are new to flying and don't know to ask for it. Therefore you have nothing to claim your bag with. Additionally, they have you just put your stuff on the jet bridge, and proceed, with it unattended, onto the plane. It would be very easy for another passenger to grab something out of a bag, because everyone usually spends a few seconds routing in their bags to take whatever they wanted on the plane. It wouldn't look unusual at all for someone to be going through a bag. Third- I've OFTEN gotten to airports where someone says their bag isn't there at the end of the flight. Usually the flight attendant will assume it was left in the previous city, so that must happen often enough they aren't surprised by it. So it isn't a permanent loss, I hope, but most people put stuff in their carry on because they want it with them that day. (Not to mention the tossing from the jet bridge thing. They sometimes use a mechanical lift, but it isn't uncommon to just see them throw the bags. I expect that with my luggage, but not with my carry on. There is a reason I put stuff in the carry on!)

It shortens connections because you have to wait for them to get all the carry on bags back up to the bridge. This usually takes 5 minutes for them to even start. Most of the time we are off the plane, waiting for the bags to even show up.
It's easy enough to make sure you get the checked stub, and then you can wait by the bag until the handler grabs it if you wish, but I've not seen anyone getting things out of one. Maybe we're more accustomed to the expectation and/or in a hurry to get onboard? I've never seen a gate checked bag not show up at the other end, altho it could happen. My view is to put the stuff you need most in the backpack, then the stuff next in importance in the roll-on - but expect it to be treated like checked bags.

i was confused by your post as well. I understand now that you explained.
I now travel with an international sized carry on. Ii has fit in the overhead on all the regional jets recently flown from SWF. I got tired of having to gate check my carry on so I got a more useable bag. Always got a claim check when that happened. It's going to be intresting when airlines start to charge folks who try to carry on oversized bags when they have to be checked. The drama of air travel is never ending.

All of it. When you leave words out and add odd ones, I am left to guess
I did that post on my phone. Clearly I shouldn't. It makes me look drunk.

It's easy enough to make sure you get the checked stub

I've never seen one offered- we always had to ask. If you'd never done this before, how would you even know to ask? People don't know what they don't know.

My view is to put the stuff you need most in the backpack, then the stuff next in importance in the roll-on
I don't like having two carry ons. I'm small and it is hard enough to handle my suitcase when I get somewhere. So it is either roll on or backpack. Now I go with backpack instead of roll on. When I lived near a real airport, I always used a roll on. In my observation, most people only have one carry-on, their roll on, except ladies often also have a purse.

I have flown on some of the regional jets. I know the routine. What is interesting is that the agent hands me the tag, I put it on the bag. It is my responsibility to tear the tag and take the "checked" tag with me.

About 1/2 the time I see the gate checked bag being put on the plane and watch it being taken off the plane. Not a huge issue for me and I haven't had any problems with claiming my bag. I suppose it could happen but to date it hasn't. I am far more concerned with a checked bag making it on the plane than any gate checked bag on a regional jet.

I always carry a lock with me for my carryon bag. If I'm forced to gate check it, the lock goes on. That would slow down anyone trying to go through it. I often put the lock on even when it makes it on board, too.

It's going to be intresting when airlines start to charge folks who try to carry on oversized bags when they have to be checked. The drama of air travel is never ending.

That's already a reality on Frontier.

I always carry a lock with me for my carryon bag. If I'm forced to gate check it, the lock goes on. That would slow down anyone trying to go through it. I often put the lock on even when it makes it on board, too.

Child's play: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=opening+a+locked+suitcase

Yeah, but if someone is in the gateway picking a lock, they look a bit more suspicious than someone unzipping a pocket.

Yeah, but if someone is in the gateway picking a lock, they look a bit more suspicious than someone unzipping a pocket.

Did you even look at the link I posted? Worry more about the employee inside the luggage hold, stacking the bags coming off the conveyor belt from the tarmac.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom