Airlines reduce carry-on bag size..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always carry a lock with me for my carryon bag. If I'm forced to gate check it, the lock goes on. That would slow down anyone trying to go through it. I often put the lock on even when it makes it on board, too.

Unfortunately if your bag has a zipper a thief could careless about any TSA compatible lock or any type of lock on a bag, all they need is a ball point pen to open your zippered bag. If it's a hardshell that's another 20 seconds longer.

56 seconds of video will probably be shocking for anyone who puts any faith in a locked bag with a zipper.

Sorry in advance...

That video has been around for a long time. The idea of locks is to slow someone down, and if you combine it with cable ties, it slows them down even more. The thieves are looking for the quick entry. Also, the pen method doesn't work on metal zippers.

Damn, you guys must hang out in some crappy airports if you think they are gonna get your stuff while it is sitting in the jetway to be loaded.

I don't put lock on anything anymore, it is a waste of time and money. I lost 3 TSA locks on 3 separate trips on my checked baggage. Totally useless.

i once tied the metal zipper pulls together with a plastic zip tie, the tsa cut the metal zipper pull instead of the zip tie. I guess plastic is harder to cut than metal:)

I don't put lock on anything anymore, it is a waste of time and money. I lost 3 TSA locks on 3 separate trips on my checked baggage. Totally useless.
Only a waste if you have to travel via the US. Not a problem in the rest of the civilized world where they don't bother to rummage through your luggage.

They didn't steal anything but the locks. Kind of hard not to travel via the US, I live here. I looked and it appears that Canada's busiest is Toronoto, ranked 33rd busiest in the world. Small airports are a bit more forgiving.

Only a waste if you have to travel via the US. Not a problem in the rest of the civilized world where they don't bother to rummage through your luggage.

Eh, it seems that my roll-on is already 22"x14"x9" if I don't stuff it too full. The 9" thickness has never been an issue, and I am ok for the new reduction to 14". I guess I could be mad that I wasn't taking advantage of the 15" width while I could, but at least I don't have to shop for a bag. Less than 9 days until my next adventure, taking the kids to Death Valley - 250 feet below sea level with a high of 115, Yosemite up to 2 miles high with a low of 32 possible, other parks between, then 2 nights in Vegas. This may be my biggest packing challenge ever, trying to limit myself to one 50# bag, one roll-on, and my laptop etc bag. There is a laundromat at the hotel/hardware store we stay at the night before Vegas. :cool:

That video has been around for a long time. The idea of locks is to slow someone down, and if you combine it with cable ties, it slows them down even more. The thieves are looking for the quick entry. Also, the pen method doesn't work on metal zippers.

Sounds good. I'd be out of luck though as I just looked through our closet with about 15 different piece of luggage and every single zipper is plastic. :(

Thanking my head as to how easy that was. I'm wondering if something like this: http://www.pacsafe.com/media/catalo...acsafe-c25l-c35l_15300100-15320100_pole_2.jpg would help defeat/deter/making it a heck of a lot harder to get your stuff (without causing more problems). Of course, you'd have to have it secured to your suitcase. Seems like a cat and mouse game.

Unfortunately if your bag has a zipper a thief could careless about any TSA compatible lock or any type of lock on a bag, all they need is a ball point pen to open your zippered bag. If it's a hardshell that's another 20 seconds longer.

56 seconds of video will probably be shocking for anyone who puts any faith in a locked bag with a zipper.

Sorry in advance...

Back
Top Bottom