Does airlines charge you for carrying on or checking a Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JetBlue interestingly clearly states that scuba tanks are not permitted, empty or full, in either checked or carry on. . . .

Hmm. At least Jet Blue is clear about it.

I agree with the rest of your post. Indeed, how would the airline know there is a small tank in your checked bag (without valve, to satisfy TSA).

I think it's clear why, even though TSA permits it, Jet Blue prohibits a tank in a checked bag: to attempt to collect an extra fee from the passenger.

I think it's clear why, even though TSA permits it, Jet Blue prohibits a tank in a checked bag: to attempt to collect an extra fee from the passenger.
Could be but if I had to guess the policy is out of ignorance. They may thinking of full size scuba tanks and are unaware of the TSA policy and that some of us travel with small tanks that fit in a check in bag.

The Delta rule/fee is not new. Its been there as long as we have been traveling Delta with a checked pony. I have to assume its the “don’t ask, don’t tell” philosophy since as others have said its TSA that inspects luguage and Delta has, as Soloist said, paid the postage to return one to us, no questions asked.

Do you even have to tell them you have scuba gear?
We are going to Cozumel next month.
First time traveling with our own gear.
We will have everything minus weights and tanks.
Traveling with Delta.
Carry on will have everything minus BCDs and fins and a little more.

I never tell them, has not made a difference up till now, just make sure your carryon bag does not look like it weights a ton and they dont complain even if it is overwieght most of the time

Do you even have to tell them you have scuba gear?
We are going to Cozumel next month.
First time traveling with our own gear.
We will have everything minus weights and tanks.
Traveling with Delta.
Carry on will have everything minus BCDs and fins and a little more.
You only have to tell them if you have something "special" ( hockey stick, bicycle, golf clubs ) that does not fit within the confines of a normal checked / carryon bag. They do not want to tell hockey players they can not travel, so they need rules for special items.

If your stuff fits in your bags, you are not special, so no need to talk to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom