Does airlines charge you for carrying on or checking a Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read this on undercurrents.

Frequent Undercurrent contributor Lawrence Schnabel had plans to fly from Los Angeles to North Carolina for a dive trip, only to find that his baggage charges would be about the same as his ticket.

“I flew on Delta for a dive trip in North Carolina. I had planned to take a 13 cu-ft., eight-pound pony bottle because the dives would exceed 100 feet in depth. I have never been charged extra when I pack my pony in my dive bag but Delta’s Web site said any scuba tank would be charged $175 to transport. I phoned Delta to see if this included pony bottles. Yes, indeed -- and the Delta rep said the $175 fee was each way, $350 total! As the North Carolina dive shop had no ponies to rent, I shipped mine via UPS but paid $91 because I needed it to arrive in four days.”

Other airlines also slap a high price on a pony bottle. American Airlines charges $100, United charges $175. Head to Asia and the charges rise as high as $250. And yes, these fees are for each flight leg.

So if you want to tote a tank, check the airline’s policy before you go. Or, says Schnabel, “You can risk packing the pony in a dive bag and pray the check-in person does not bring up the exorbitant charge. But you may have nowhere to store it at the airport if you’re asked to pay up.” Forget about bringing it as a carry-on item -- airline reps told us no air tanks, even small ones, are allowed through the security line.

I guess they do?

2018 rules form AA

American Airlines SCUBA Diving Equipment Policy
You can take your SCUBA gear on board your American Airlines flight. You can travel with:

1 scuba tank
1 scuba regulator
A tank harness
A tank pressure gauge

If you are traveling with a regulator valve, it needs to be completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder needs an opening to allow a visual inspection inside.

Cost - $150

Maximum weight and size - 70 lbs.

That does not sound right. If it is in your check in bag why would they charge (beyond what they may charge for the bag. I have taken many trips on a number of different airlines and this has never been an issue.

This is very concerning. We have traveled all over the Caribbean on Delta with a 13cf pony and have never been charged. I always remove the valve and place the tank in my checked luggage. One time the tank was confiscated in Atlanta on a return flight because there was a blue plastic plug threaded into the port, but later they shipped the tank to us free of charge. Since then I cover the port with clear plastic and a rubber band.

Throw the pony in your checked bag. TSA isn't going to care about what an airline's fee policy might be for a pony bottle, as long as it's open and accessible for inspection it's going to pass through without a problem. Obviously those travelers who are used to putting the pony bottle in their carryon bags need to know about these changes in policy because that's going to matter.

Southwest is still free for tanks.

Looks like United, American and Delta are out to screw us scuba divers.

United Airlines SCUBA Diving Equipment Policy 2018- Flying with SCUBA Diving Equipment 2018 - SCUBA Diving, Diving, SCUBA tanks, Flying with Diving Equipment, Flying with Scuba Gear - Airline-Baggage-Fees.com

I read this on undercurrents.

Frequent Undercurrent contributor Lawrence Schnabel had plans to fly from Los Angeles to North Carolina for a dive trip, only to find that his baggage charges would be about the same as his ticket.

“I flew on Delta for a dive trip in North Carolina. I had planned to take a 13 cu-ft., eight-pound pony bottle because the dives would exceed 100 feet in depth. I have never been charged extra when I pack my pony in my dive bag but Delta’s Web site said any scuba tank would be charged $175 to transport. I phoned Delta to see if this included pony bottles. Yes, indeed -- and the Delta rep said the $175 fee was each way, $350 total! As the North Carolina dive shop had no ponies to rent, I shipped mine via UPS but paid $91 because I needed it to arrive in four days.”

Other airlines also slap a high price on a pony bottle. American Airlines charges $100, United charges $175. Head to Asia and the charges rise as high as $250. And yes, these fees are for each flight leg.

So if you want to tote a tank, check the airline’s policy before you go. Or, says Schnabel, “You can risk packing the pony in a dive bag and pray the check-in person does not bring up the exorbitant charge. But you may have nowhere to store it at the airport if you’re asked to pay up.” Forget about bringing it as a carry-on item -- airline reps told us no air tanks, even small ones, are allowed through the security line.
in the US, airlines don't inspect checked or check carry-on bags. That is the exclusive domain of TSA.

TSA has specific rules for transporting compressed air cylinders, the tank must be open for inspection (no valve or any obstruction). TSA has no rules for transporting scuba regulators or other related diving equipment. So a hearty BS on
airline reps told us no air tanks, even small ones, are allowed through the security line
I've done this multiple times

Unless the airline specifically asks you what is in the bag, hint you only have to answer that it contains no prohibited items (again see TSA regulations), whatever is in there is none of their business. Unless of course it exceeds their weight or size restrictions.

Much ado about nothing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom