Does airlines charge you for carrying on or checking a Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question becomes how do they know you are carrying one unless you tell them? Have never had an airline go through my bags, security/tsa yes but not the airline

in the US, airlines don't inspect checked or check carry-on bags. That is the exclusive domain of TSA.

TSA has specific rules for transporting compressed air cylinders, the tank must be open for inspection (no valve or any obstruction). TSA has no rules for transporting scuba regulators or other related diving equipment. So a hearty BS on I've done this multiple times

Unless the airline specifically asks you what is in the bag, hint you only have to answer that it contains no prohibited items (again see TSA regulations), whatever is in there is none of their business. Unless of course it exceeds their weight or size restrictions.

Much ado about nothing
Agreed. Lots of the verbiage on airline websites is all about stuff that exceeds your normal baggage limits. Do NOT go there. There be dragons!

Think about a mountain bike. It will not fit inside a normal checked bag. There is no way to hide it. But the airline does not want to turn you away. So they develop exception rules for handling a mountain bike. And a surf board thing, golf clubs, hockey gear and even scuba gear. Stuff they really have no real understanding of. But they need some rules so that you will feel good about buying a ticket from them. They make random rules and dream up random excess charges - for things that are not normal luggage.

Normal luggage is not an issue.

My hockey team does an annual "away" tournament. As a frequent flyer I get additional free checked bags. So I drag goalie equipment and sticks. At checkin the poorly trained peeps ask me what is in all the large bags. I respond with "my luggage". The properly trained peeps simply greet me as Sir and smile.

in the US, airlines don't inspect checked or check carry-on bags. That is the exclusive domain of TSA.

What happens on the way back into the US?

That does not sound right. If it is in your check in bag why would they charge (beyond what they may charge for the bag. I have taken many trips on a number of different airlines and this has never been an issue.

I wonder if the wording on the airline web sites is intentionally ambiguous?

Delta's, for example:

One dive bag containing scuba equipment other than an empty dive tank is allowed as checked baggage. An empty dive tank is allowed and will be assessed the Scuba Equipment Fee stated below.

Are they intentionally leaving it ambiguous as to whether they are going to charge the special fee for a tank even if the tank is in a checked bag? Maybe the intent is to encourage people to check the tank by itself as checked baggage--and thereby incur the fee--even though it's perfectly feasible to pack a small tank inside a checked bag with other things?

Are they intentionally leaving it ambiguous as to whether they are going to charge the special fee for a tank even if the tank is in a checked bag?

I don't see the ambiguity. All scuba gear is allowed to be checked except a tank which must be separate from the checked bags, and incurs a fee.

I don't see the ambiguity. All scuba gear is allowed to be checked except a tank which must be separate from the checked bags, and incurs a fee.

If that were so, why not state simply and unambiguously that "scuba tanks are not allowed in checked baggage"? I cannot find that sort of language anywhere.

Being a cynic, I suspect they ARE tacitly allowed in checked baggage, but the airlines would like to discourage that, so that they can collect the special fee.

In light of the post I just reviewed the posted polices for United and JetBlue re scuba tanks. United clearly states that there is an excess fee for scuba tanks. JetBlue interestingly clearly states that scuba tanks are not permitted, empty or full, in either checked or carry on. I don't know if these policies are new but I have carried a small pony in checked in bag on both airlines many times without any issue. Well except one when it was stolen from my bag on a United flight to Bon and I made a claim with United and they paid. They never said anything about any excess fee. The United excess fee depending on where you are traveling is $150-$200 each way so it would be cost prohibitive for most of us traveling on a dive trip carrying a small pony.

Having said this, I still don't know how an airline will ever know if a small empty pony with valve removed is in checked bag and if they did whether they would charge a fee or prohibit it. I have to believe the intent of the policy applies to tanks flying separately or with the valve attached in checked bags. As to the JB policy, if TSA permits it I don't understand why they would prohibit it. Again, I have to think they mean tank with valve on.

American Airlines SCUBA Diving Equipment Policy
You can take your SCUBA gear on board your American Airlines flight. You can travel with:

1 scuba tank
1 scuba regulator
A tank harness
A tank pressure gauge

If you are traveling with a regulator valve, it needs to be completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder needs an opening to allow a visual inspection inside.

Cost - $150

Let me give a different perspective.

For hockey players, airlines have policies that treat the bag of gear and sticks as one item even though they will be presented at check in as two separate "items". Southwest, in fact, even counts both towards one of your included bags, whereas others charge $50 regardless.

Since the charge for additional bags after the first two can quickly become $75-100, could this be more of a pricing, rather than restrictive, policy so that after you use a bag or two for clothing etc., you are not hitting $100 each for a tank, a bag for your steel wing plate and another for regs etc. - which could be $300 at $100 per "bag"? Note they only list a total weight limit, not dimensions which they do for most other items, but would be difficult for multiple items.

Not that I plan on paying that though.

In 2018, I have traveled domestically to Hawaii and internationally to Aruba, & St. Kitts with fins, wet suits, masks, etc. for my son and I in one checked bag, and our BC and regs in a carry on roller bag for each of us.

So I could be wrong, but I think you would only be paying this if you are planning on taking your main tank with you - which I never plan on doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom