Airline size restrictions and Akona AKB144

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took the same bag loaded with 55lbs of gear from Raleigh/Durham to Boston Logan, to San Juan to St. Thomas with no problems at all. I even brought it back again too!

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml?anchorEvent=false

Thanks for the heads up, what a pain. (Especially annoying when I just bought a new bag that's about 5 pounds heavier, and before I was just making 50 pounds.) Hope the rest of the airlines don't follow suit. In the meantime sounds like a reason not to fly American. I was about to buy tickets to Belize and probably would have wound up on American, but now I'll do one of the others, which at least so far haven't done this.

I have a Akona rolling bag in fact its the 144 and with fins, mask, BC, 2 piece 3 mm wet suit, flashlight, booties, some extra clothes, on the way to Hawaii in Feb. it weighed in at 49.5 lb. I had 1/2 lb to go.

montyb

I have recently purchased the Akona 144, have not traveled with it yet, but will make a run to the Philippines in June. I guess this question could be pointed to just about any bag, but I seek input from others. About locks and locking, I have traveled before with other bags and have used the TSA lock which allows them to open your bag and not destroy the lock, would you think it's neccessary to put locks on 'all external pockets' including where your fins go? Curious as to what other do?

I have the Akona rollerbag as well and we only lock the main compartment, but use zipties on the others. We've had our bag searched once while traveling and had nothing stolen, so that's good. Just make sure if you pack your flashlight that you pack your batteries separately and not INSIDE the flashlight. You're guaranteed to be searched if you leave the batteries in. :wink:

Damselfish:
In the meantime sounds like a reason not to fly American. I was about to buy tickets to Belize and probably would have wound up on American, but now I'll do one of the others, which at least so far haven't done this.

Last November, I went to Belize on Continental. They had a 50 lb limit, but then "forgot" to charge me after giving me my boarding pass. It pays to smile!

hmm, Continental website currently says 70#, but also has that "policies vary" out so I guess they will do whatever they want. USAir still says 70# international.

International Travel (except Canada)

International allowances, rates and excess baggage policies vary by destination and time of the year (peak and off peak seasonal travel). Please contact Continental Airlines Reservations at 1-800-525-0280 to obtain specific rates based on destination and time of travel.
Free Baggage Acceptance*

* 2 Checked Bags: Maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height) per piece

jakubson:
Last November, I went to Belize on Continental. They had a 50 lb limit, but then "forgot" to charge me after giving me my boarding pass. It pays to smile!
Continental has some "hidden" rules that aren't on their website.. If you ask for a supervisor they will look it up Its under Speciall allowances for sporting gear.. basically what continental allows is one bag with dive gear up to 100lbs without overweight charges, Its a pain in the butt at check in but if you need it do it.. Its much easier to keep the bags under 70lbs (even if the restiriction for a normal bag is 50lbs) to get it waived quickly.

On one expedition, I even was even given a special allownce instead of 1 bag of dive gear they let me get by with 3 bags under 50kg tahts Over 100 lbs(I was boarding in amsterdam from another airline)

Been on the phone today with Continental, I'm trying to nail down if I have to pay extra for my Akona 144. The story goes Continental has new baggage rules starting August 2nd, 2005. No longer 70 lbs. allowed per bag, only 50lbs per bag, OK I can handle this, then the lady said "and if it's scuba gear you are going to pay $100 extra", I about fell over after hearing that. I went on to say 'how about if I don't disclose that I have scuba gear? She says "Well if they open your bag up, you are in for trouble", an hour later I called back to get 'someone else' to talk to, they did mention the 70lbs to 50lbs new maxium weight limit, but nothing about this 'scuba surcharge', can someone set me straight about this new luggage allowance on Continental. I plan to fly in October from SFO to Houston onto either Roatan or San Pedro Sula, I will cringe if I have to pay US$100 each way just for my gear, not being over weight or over sized!

tboxcar:
Been on the phone today with Continental, I'm trying to nail down if I have to pay extra for my Akona 144. The story goes Continental has new baggage rules starting August 2nd, 2005. No longer 70 lbs. allowed per bag, only 50lbs per bag, OK I can handle this, then the lady said "and if it's scuba gear you are going to pay $100 extra", I about fell over after hearing that. I went on to say 'how about if I don't disclose that I have scuba gear? She says "Well if they open your bag up, you are in for trouble", an hour later I called back to get 'someone else' to talk to, they did mention the 70lbs to 50lbs new maxium weight limit, but nothing about this 'scuba surcharge', can someone set me straight about this new luggage allowance on Continental. I plan to fly in October from SFO to Houston onto either Roatan or San Pedro Sula, I will cringe if I have to pay US$100 each way just for my gear, not being over weight or over sized!

My feeling is, if you're friendly and have your act together when you get to the front of the line and don't dilly dally, the ticketing agents will almost always cut you some slack.

My 144 is about 60 lbs with two full sets of gear and 8 lbs. of lead (we like to bring our own soft trim weights when traveling). I haven't flown continental since 8/2 (obviously), but I haven't had any problems getting it checked with them in the past. On domesitc flights, I usually put my lead and my moderately heavy save-a-dive kit in a side pocket so I can easily take it out and put it in another bag if anyone gets cranky. Hasn't happened yet, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom