Yellowstone in May, Scored FREE Exit Row Seats on United

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I know that the airlines are always looking for ways to gouge flyers on services that we used to get for free, and charging for seat selections is just part of the profit game, but I recently booked four flights in the most restrictive Basic Economy fare which doesn't allow roll-ons and always charges for seat selections - except I reserved Exit Row aisle seats on three legs at no charge! I only missed on the fourth because those rows were already reserved. I thought that the three major airlines always charged extra for Exit Row seats, even with fares that allowed some free seat selections in the rear half? The flights are on commuter jets operated by United Express contractors, so I wonder if real United flights are allowing the same.

I've been wanting to return to Yellowstone for another tour and had looked before in May before school vacations start, but it didn't look possible with my cheap travel style. I couldn't find three or four nights together at the cheaper Old Faithful cabins my family enjoyed before the 2017 eclipse, and while airfares were reasonable, car rentals were selling at $800+ for four days! Then one day last week I saw something interesting about the park and on a lark checked again...

> I found three nights together at that cheap lodge! That'll work for me. $348.

> I found a rental car for four days for less than $300 instead of over $800! It's thru a new service that I'd never heard of - Turo, skirting a lot of issues booking with car rental companies, they leave the car at the airport and the keys in the gas cap cover and send me a text, but to save $500 I'll take the adventure. I kept checking regular car rentals tho and also have a backup with a real company for $500.

> I found roundtrip fares to Cody (60 miles from Yellowstone Lake) of $322. They went up $100 after I bought, but I got mine! I have a large amount of miles with United, but at this price, I'll save those. I added $21 for basic trip insurance, may not be great but might get me a refund if I have to cancel, and not a big expense. The other two reservations include free cancelation if something comes up. It's the most restrictive Basic Economy, but I get a free checked bag by paying with my United Visa.

All in all, it sounds like an affordable adventure. I fly in Saturday morning. There's a three-hour layover in Denver but I have two Clubroom passes. I used those on my Utah trip, and they even serve soup and sandwiches for free! Get there at 1pm, get my car, shop for a cheap coffee maker and some provisions, and spend the night in Cody. Leave early the next morning to start exploring the park, check-in to the lodge later in the afternoon, and stay for three nights. I depart at 1pm returning on Wednesday, a three-hour layover in Denver with the other Club pass, back by 9pm! I'll leave the coffee maker for the cleaning person as I have on many trips.

The weather will still be chilly I guess. I checked that week for the last five years and highs ranged from 30° to 70° and lows from 15° to 40° in West Yellowstone, and I'll get higher than that in some areas so I'll pack longjohns, hoodie, heavy coat, etc just in case. My cabin has a sink, but we share a shower hut so I may just do sponge baths the first couple of nights. 🥶 My old-coot hiking is even more restrictive than ever, but I'm hoping my new Cardio doc can restore full circulation in my problem calf before then. I may well beg her or my Nurse Practioner for a Handicapped Parking hanger as that'd help some.

Sounds like you have quite the adventure planned. Have a blast!

Just out of curiosity, do you do any landscape or wildlife photography? Based on the temps you mentioned, I am guessing your trip will be late spring sometime. The critters, everything from Elk & Bison to Bears and maybe Wolves will be wandering around looking to replenish after a long winter. The photography chances MAY be outstanding.

We did Yellowstone in mid September 2021- I really enjoyed it, and we had shoulder season weather similar to what you are expecting. We had everything from an inch of snow to mid 70's in our 4 days there.

The kayak on Lake Yellowstone was a lot of fun, we went with a group and kayaked the shore to a secluded spot for lunch. It was nice to see the geysers from the lake perspective. Bison never get old- we had a really cool encounter at one of the smaller geyser viewing platforms where a lone male came out of the mist, and slowly worked his way closer to us, just grazing. We were the only people there, and it was really special.

We stayed at one of the newer lodges. I liked it, but my in laws did not enjoy. It was fairly spartan, and dining options were extremely limited. They only had one buffet open at night, and the line was crazy long, but it was included with the room rate. I would have rather got a loaf of bread and PB & J, but it was nice to get a hot bowl of soup on the colder nights.

I have been hearing more about Turo lately, it is like AirBnB for cars- privately owned and "shared". Will be interesting to learn more as more people try it out.

We had a really nice (and authentic) Chinese meal at Red Lotus in West Yellowstone. My wife's family are Chinese American, and we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food.

Have a great trip!

No comments on the free exit row seat selection? I really thought that they tried to charge for those? I have seen people kicked out of those for not giving a verbal answer when asked by the FA to confirm they were up to the responsibility as a nod is not sufficient. I have also seen FAs ask for volunteers to sit there when the rows were empty.

Based on the temps you mentioned, I am guessing your trip will be late spring sometime.
Sorry, I didn't make that clear. "had looked before in May before school vacations start" Yeah, I arrive Cody May 21, hit the park on the 22nd, return on the 25th.
Just out of curiosity, do you do any landscape or wildlife photography?
I always have a Canon point & shoot on my hip on trips and spare batteries in a grenade pocket. It's amateurish work to be sure, but I enjoy shooting & collecting photos, sharing them on FB albums, and storing them on Shutterfly. I post preview photos on FB from my iPhone, then work on the Canon photos later.
The critters, everything from Elk & Bison to Bears and maybe Wolves will be wandering around looking to replenish after a long winter. The photography chances MAY be outstanding.
I hadn't thought of that. We saw elk in Mammoth Springs last trip in August 2017, Bison in Lamar valley as we entered the park, and one bear at a distance driving south from Mammoth Springs, but I may do better in May before the hordes of other tourists arrive.
Sounds like fun. Nothing to add except invest in a small backpacking stove and an Aeropress. Best coffee i have ever made and very portable.
Well, cooking inside the cabins is not allowed, and I'd hate to be the rule breaker to burn one down, so I'll stick with an $11 electric from Walmart. I left one behind with a note for the cleaning person during the last visit.
The kayak on Lake Yellowstone was a lot of fun, we went with a group and kayaked the shore to a secluded spot for lunch. It was nice to see the geysers from the lake perspective. Bison never get old- we had a really cool encounter at one of the smaller geyser viewing platforms where a lone male came out of the mist, and slowly worked his way closer to us, just grazing. We were the only people there, and it was really special.
I wish I'd thought about kayaking Lake Yellowstone on the 2017 family trip. We did do some low-key river rafting north of Mammoth Springs. I took a seat at the back so no one would notice that I didn't do much of the paddling. :cool: We have the Texas bison herd at a nearby state park here, and now they're allowed to roam in the part where we used to enjoy camping. We did not once since that started and hated the flies that have invaded. You certainly don't want to crowd those beasts. There are news stories every year about people who do and get hurt for it.

I just checked- Delta does not charge for exit row seats (although some planes have an exit row in the Comfort+ section), and Southwest is first come first served. Those are the two airlines I fly primarily.

But, nevertheless, if you feel you got a great deal, good on you!

When we were there in September, several roads/loops/entrances were closed for construction. I believe it was the northeast section of the park. Not sure if it will be done by May, just a heads up.

Keep an eye on Turo. It is "AirBnB" for cars. I tried it twice and both times it was canceled about an hour before I was to pick up the car.
Oh really?! Yeah, there's not much reassurance with them. They say to call them when that happens so they can try to get another car, and they do have many others to offer there, but sounds like a hassle. It's unfair of me to also hold a real car rental reservation with a national agency that will actually get a replacement from another agency if needed, but that's part of the shopper's game. Tubo also requires that the car be returned clean. I am used to turning them in dirty.

Now I am wondering if Exit Row seats are always free, but I am usually too late selecting to choose one? I hope the FA doesn't decide that I look too old for the job and move me. That'd be embarrassing. In the event of a real emergency escape, I hope that I can handle the job ok. I would stay until the last to help others into the row since I am on the aisle, and fight anyone who tries to take a roll-on with them.

Sounds like a good trip, Don.

I haven't heard that exit rows were an extra cost but that isn't a definitive answer.

Though I hope you are successful, had to laugh about the car keys in the gas cap idea as I have to think more than a few cars have been stolen through that method. The best stealing method: with the keys! Wondering how the insurance company feels about paying such a claim. Yes, taking something that isn't yours is stealing but I'm wondering about their thoughts on your due diligence.

Also wondering, don't most cars have locking gas doors now?

I'm thinking in a real emergency, you probably won't have the luxury of stopping others dumb ideas and would be lucky if not shoved through the little hole out of the plane.

I'd love to do Yellowstone some day... post pics!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom