Yellowstone in May, Scored FREE Exit Row Seats on United

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't heard that exit rows were an extra cost but that isn't a definitive answer.
Well, this is a Basic Economy ticket which means no advance seat selection so I was surprised that I could select Exit row aisle seats at no charge on three flights. All of the other seats are extra cost. For the one flight that I couldn't, the Exit rows are about the only ones selected now. One the other three, only my seat has been selected.
Though I hope you are successful, had to laugh about the car keys in the gas cap idea as I have to think more than a few cars have been stolen through that method. The best stealing method: with the keys! Wondering how the insurance company feels about paying such a claim. Yes, taking something that isn't yours is stealing but I'm wondering about their thoughts on your due diligence.

Also wondering, don't most cars have locking gas doors now?
Yeah, I thought the same. The Host said that they could do that or have someone meet me if I preferred. When the time comes, I think I'll ask him to meet me. I may well go with the other reservation with Budget, but I'd like to see prices come down. Budget now shows sold out for those dates, but the others have only dropped from $800+ to $700+.

The cheapest cabins are sold out every night for months, and I suspect the higher priced accommodations are similar. It's a very popular park.
I'm thinking in a real emergency, you probably won't have the luxury of stopping others dumb ideas and would be lucky if not shoved through the little hole out of the plane.
The foremost need would be for everyone to exit as quickly as possible, and I would not want to slow that. I'd like to take the bag, tell the person to get out, and throw the bag over a seat, but whatever would be fastest. I wouldn't like the next step of getting off of the wing. I'd hope the slide is easy to deploy.
I'd love to do Yellowstone some day... post pics!
The formations at Mammoth Springs, the geysers and boiling pools, the caves with dragon's breath, etc are all amazing. I guess I could post a link to the Shutterfly album I load on return.

If you have any time on the day you arrive, the Buffalo Bill museum (actually several museums under one roof) is worth a stop. Frankly, it's worth an entire day.

The Buffalo Bill museum sounds very interesting. I'll have been traveling for eight hours by the time I get there counting driving to the airport, but I sleep well on flights so maybe I'll be up to it after getting out of the airport and shopping.

I've been watching car rentals in Cody as I'm not comfortable with the Turo deal. Budget sold out for a while but came back recently with more cars starting at $600+ for my four days. I'm holding a Budget $500+ option from earlier. Turo may come thru tho, maybe. They have a couple of other $300 rentals to offer there for those dates. And I have four months to worry about it. :whistling:😅

I'm more worried about the airline screwing me up as my dates are not flexible. I do hope my new Cardio doc can have my bum leg fixed early enough to be ready, but they don't hurry anything.

Now I am wondering if Exit Row seats are always free, but I am usually too late selecting to choose one? I hope the FA doesn't decide that I look too old for the job and move me. That'd be embarrassing. In the event of a real emergency escape, I hope that I can handle the job ok. I would stay until the last to help others into the row since I am on the aisle, and fight anyone who tries to take a roll-on with them.
You’re not expected to help. You’re expected to be able to operate the emergency exit, so remove the window and throw it outside the plane and then exit yourself quickly. The Exit window is heavy and awkward

It seems like airlines are always charging for exit rows now.

My parents are taking our daughter to Yellowstone the second week of June to see the baby wildlife. It's a shame that travelling and vacationing within the US is so expensive compared to elsewhere. I was going to take the whole family to Yellowstone for two weeks a few years ago and, after some research, went to Malaysia for 3 weeks, instead. Ended up costing about $2,000 less.

You’re not expected to help. You’re expected to be able to operate the emergency exit, so remove the window and throw it outside the plane and then exit yourself quickly. The Exit window is heavy and awkward
Yeah, I guess it'd be best for me to get the window out, then get myself out and out of the way.
It seems like airlines are always charging for exit rows now.
That's what I thought so I was amazed when I got mine for free. I've done one domestic trip in Basic Economy with no free seat selections, and that one was fine. My daughter, SIL, and I were scattered on the plane, but we didn't have any minor-aged kids along so no biggie. I have always selected aisle seats when I could since that one trip when I got stuck between the window and a fellow who had to use a seat belt extension, but that's a minor risk.
My parents are taking our daughter to Yellowstone the second week of June to see the baby wildlife.
That'll be great as long as they don't try to get close to any of them. I hope I see some too in May, but I wouldn't want to upset a momma anything.
It's a shame that travelling and vacationing within the US is so expensive compared to elsewhere. I was going to take the whole family to Yellowstone for two weeks a few years ago and, after some research, went to Malaysia for 3 weeks, instead. Ended up costing about $2,000 less.
Well, being from The City, you may not be accustomed to camping or any other rough accommodations. My kids and I are campers at parks in close driving range so we did fine in the economy cabins without privies in 2017 when we went up for the eclipse. Scoring any accommodations at all at Yellowstone was a challenge before Covid and has only gotten worse since. I was amazed when I found three cheap cabin nights together in late May and grabbed them as fast as I could after I found cheap air and a low-cost car. I had tried to put this trip together earlier before the cabins sold out, but was not going to pay $200/day for a car. Air fares are cheap nowadays if you can live with the risks of the airlines actually delivering, but car rental companies are especially hurting as their business is really more about selling slightly used cars, and that scene is still a mess.

Well, being from The City, you may not be accustomed to camping or any other rough accommodations.

Ha! We tend to stay in $20 per night accommodations when we travel. Usually with no AC or hot water. Have you ever tried to use a squat toilet with diarrhea? Or on a moving train for that matter?

No, no spoiled city folk here. I just can't see spending 100's of dollars per night if you're never in the room. I was looking at the Florida Keys recently because I really want to take the Archaeological diving course but damn, that place is expensive.

Ha! We tend to stay in $20 per night accommodations when we travel. Usually with no AC or hot water. Have you ever tried to use a squat toilet with diarrhea? Or on a moving train for that matter?

No, no spoiled city folk here. I just can't see spending 100's of dollars per night if you're never in the room. I was looking at the Florida Keys recently because I really want to take the Archaeological diving course but damn, that place is expensive.
I haven't been to the Keys in years, but as "recently" as 10 years ago there were still some of those mold-ridden Bates motels around that could be had for under $100.

Oh yeah, the train toilets where a bonus is a view of the tracks below. Good times.

No, no spoiled city folk here. I just can't see spending 100's of dollars per night if you're never in the room. I
Ok we're on the same page. I got YS cabins wo toilets for $116 but those are difficult to find. I just got lucky when I checked cabins, air, and car.

I haven't been to the Keys in years, but as "recently" as 10 years ago there were still some of those mold-ridden Bates motels around that could be had for under $100.
The cheapest I see on Hotels.com for Key Largo is $185/night. I used to go there now and then, but it's been several years. Kayak has Marina Del Mar Resort And Marina for $140/night. I used to stay at an odd place with a variety of rooms and travel trailers. I think it was called the Pelican or something. It's probably gone by now. I think they improved the hiway from Miami and ran all costs up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom