Airline size restrictions and Akona AKB144

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brookieman10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm flying with Continental and have an Akona Roller Back pack. I'm afraid that the size seems to easily exceed the 62" After cramming in 2 pair of fins BCs and wetsuits the bag has blossomed.

Do people regularly check the Akona roller bags in without paying extra for excessive size?

This was the bag recommeded to me but ...... :06:

It's not necessarily the SIZE that is a factor, but the WEIGHT. For example, Delta doesn't start thinking about excess weight charges until you exceed 70 pounds. However, non-North American carriers have a much lower threshold.

Sometimes, if we are packing multiple sets of gear for a family trip we'll put in a soft duffle to handle any "excess" that may occur in one or more of the bags. If a bag comes up too heavy, we pull out the duffle & re-distribute the heavier items. That way we don't get charged for overage because no single bag exceeds the maximum weight.

To be honest, you're best checking with the carrier you'll be flying with to see what their guidelines are.

Bonne chance,

Good news!

I called them today and they will allow an excessive sized bag for scuba equipement.

It will take the place of my free checked bags but at least I'll be able to safely pack our gear.

The agent was kind enough to add a comment to our reservation that NO excessive charges would apply to the scuba bag.

:07:

Wow. Very nice to hear that. My experience (not with this company) has been that I have to keep my mouth shut about scuba gear in my bags or I might get charged extra for transporting scuba gear.

Charters from Canada to mexico allow 30 kg more than the regular 20kg (40kg in 1st class). Air Transat dosen't charge me any extra for my video equipment either because I just tell them I have dive equipment.

Had no problems with the bag size. No one blinked an eye about the size. I was able to keep the weight under 47 lbs.

Flew from Canada to Belize on a mix of NWA and Cont but...... they lost the dam bag both ways. Yup missed a full day of diving in Belize and had to wait 3 agonizing days to get it back here in Canada.

I here you on the lost baggage............went to florida to visit the kids and dive (you figure out which wa smost important) and AA lost all 4 of our checked bags. When the got home 2 days later my brand new oceanic excursion bag has had the cinch straps ripped out of the top of the bags by the bagage gorillas..........now for the fight that I already know I will loose.

trip was good though :)

Sounds like this has already been worked out, but for the record, I've had no problems flying with my AK144 (international on United and domestic on Delta). I didn't check the weight, but it was probably around 50 lbs.

This thread shows the problem divers face with air travel. It seem each airline has their own set of rules about checked/carryon luggage IE Weight on international flights is diffrent from domestic flights. I am facing this challenge right now.

We are flying AA from Tampa to Miami so domestic rules apply. Checked bags 60 lb
carry on 40 lb and the standar size limits on both.

We are flying Taca from Miami to Roatan so International rules apply you would think WRONG. Taca allows checked bags at 70 lb but only allows 22 lb on carry on bags.

I called both airlines to see if
AA would let us use the 70 lb since we are going international. ANSWER NO
Taca would let us use the 40 lb carry limit. ANSWER NO

So as you see CALL AHEAD and also be advised if you decide to pay the excess baggae charge assesed is each way not one price for roundtrip.

If anyone has found a way around the RIDICULOUS 22lb carry on rule from Taca please post as I am having a hard time getting my camera travel setup under 22lb. I will not check it and may be forced to pay excess baggage charge or hope we have reasonable person at the check in desk.

Also be advised Taca has changed its checked baggage weight limits on all tickets sold after 3/18/05 you still get 2 checked bags but the combined wieght limits is now 100 lb. They have also raised the excess charge to 100.00 US each way. I purchased our tickets 2 months in advance just to avoid this issue.

IMO 2 bags with total weight of 100 lb is just unreasonable esp if your a diver since I know our dive Equipment alone is 60 lbs.

We flew AA last week. Seems they changed the weight limit on international flights, if you purchased your tickets before 2/28 you were allowed 70#, after that date only 50#. We traveled numerous times with our Akona and have never had a problem. Before that we used a Pelican 1660 and only had 1 problem with it's size, but didn't have to pay extra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom