Checking a YETI cooler with SCUBA gear inside, no fees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE:

I made a couple calls to the airlines and got some conflicting information. I first asked about checking the cooler (but forgot to mention that there'd be SCUBA equipment inside) and they said that standard luggage allowances would apply (50lbs and 62 linear inches). When I called back and told them I'd have SCUBA equipment in the cooler they very cautiously said that the "special items" allowances would be in effect (50lbs and 126 linear inches)...but the didn't sound very sure of themselves because they added that it would ultimately be up to the ticketing agent. So....

I went to the airport and asked the folks at the counter directly. I explained what I planned to do and showed them the American Airlines web page that specifies that SCUBA gear is "special items/sporting equipment" and he said it was good to go with no additional fees.

All that being said, I'm going to go to the airport 4 hours before my flight to check my cooler...that way if I get some unexpected surprise and they try to charge me $200 in over-size fees, I'll have time to cruise back home and re-pack in some standard luggage.

It definitely seems to be a bit of a grey area in their policy.

UPDATE:

I made a couple calls to the airlines and got some conflicting information. I first asked about checking the cooler (but forgot to mention that there'd be SCUBA equipment inside) and they said that standard luggage allowances would apply (50lbs and 62 linear inches). When I called back and told them I'd have SCUBA equipment in the cooler they very cautiously said that the "special items" allowances would be in effect (50lbs and 126 linear inches)...but the didn't sound very sure of themselves because they added that it would ultimately be up to the ticketing agent. So....

I went to the airport and asked the folks at the counter directly. I explained what I planned to do and showed them the American Airlines web page that specifies that SCUBA gear is "special items/sporting equipment" and he said it was good to go with no additional fees.

All that being said, I'm going to go to the airport 4 hours before my flight to check my cooler...that way if I get some unexpected surprise and they try to charge me $200 in over-size fees, I'll have time to cruise back home and re-pack in some standard luggage.

It definitely seems to be a bit of a grey area in their policy.
What ended up happening here? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom