Air2 AND octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I guess I'll be the little blue guy over in the corner holding my breath, waiting for the technical data to support your suggestion that an Air2 is unsafe?
If you look for it yourself you’ll find them. theres plenty of info out there. No point linking them all.

I can see where in that scenario it would be more convenient to have a pull dump but I do wonder how many divers consciously make the decision to get a BCD with a functioning pull dump, use it regularly and would think to use it under those conditions.
That seems like an un-necessery set of restrictions to put on making it useful.

I have a bcd with a pull dump (bp/w with diverite wing and apeks plate) and I use an air2 (scubapro). I didn't buy the wing which came with a pull dump because of the air2. It was a lucky chance that I wound up with a pull dump on my bcd. I learned to use it and switched to using it most of the time long before I added the air2. While it's great for the air2, it's also a nice way to dump small ammounts of gas without having to raise your hand up vertically to allow the air to escape easier. I almost always use either pull dump or butt dump. I do sometimes use the regular dump button but it's rare. It's a good option. Decidedly low tech. Easy to maintain and validate that it's in good repair pre-dive.

Since I was already used to using the pull dump during ascent, I didn't realize that people might have an issue breathing from an air2 and dumping on ascent until some threads on the topic came up. Despite having practiced ascents on the air2 myself.

If you look for it yourself you’ll find them. theres plenty of info out there. No point linking them all.

I linked one above that suggests otherwise.

Can you provide just one, just for fun (like on the UK forums)?

Hang on a minute.

Why wouldn’t you use your kidney dump in OOG gas sharing situation with air 2?

Using a pull dump while you have an Air 2 in your mouth is not easily accomplished. The wire connecting the pin to the valve is at the Air 2, with no intermediate connections. Therefore, pulling on the hose does nothing. And if you pull on the hose to stretch the wire and open the dump, you risk pulling the reg out of your mouth.
The only accurate description of an actual OOA ascent with an Air 2 is the one above by @RyanT . You need to remove the reg from your mouth briefly, and either vent with a button, or pull on the wire. Either way, the complexity of that maneuver while supporting an OOA diver is why I no longer personally use the Air2 I bought in 1986.

Using a pull dump while you have an Air 2 in your mouth is not easily accomplished. The wire connecting the pin to the valve is at the Air 2, with no intermediate connections. Therefore, pulling on the hose does nothing. And if you pull on the hose to stretch the wire and open the dump, you risk pulling the reg pout of your mouth.
The only accurate description of an actual OOA ascent with an Air 2 is the one above by @RyanT . You need to remove the reg from your mouth briefly, and either vent with a button, or pull on the wire. Either way, the complexity of that maneuver while supporting an OOA diver is why I no longer personally use the Air2 I bought in 1986.
I'm sorry, but you are definitely mistaken. I do it on every dive, unless I'm in sidemount of course. Maybe the wire inside your pull dump is too loose?

Edit: maybe it's a difference in pull dumps from different manufacturers. I'm using a diverite pull dump.

Hang on a minute.

Most, I think, are supposing a vertical position during this air-sharing ascent with short primary hoses.

Hang on a minute.

The air 2 is traditionally used in conjunction with a standard regulator hose, and the standard procedure is for the two divers to lock arms or grab each other's BCDs to maintain a firm connection. That puts them face to face, doing the ascent while completely vertical. You cannot use a back dump in that position.

I'm sorry, but you are definitely mistaken. I do it on every dive, unless I'm in sidemount of course. Maybe the wire inside your pull dump is too loose?

Edit: maybe it's a difference in pull dumps from different manufacturers. I'm using a diverite pull dump.

Aqualung's Air Source has an intermediate hose attachment point that allows you to do what you describe. Atomic and Scubapro do not. I can't speak to Dive Rite.

Back
Top Bottom