Air2 AND octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who use Air 2's frequently use pull dumps to deflate the BCD as they ascend with the Air 2 in their mouths.

How frequently does a diver ascend while breathing from an Air2 in their mouth? Once or twice in their entire diving career in the unlikely event of an OOA emergency?

How frequently does a diver ascend while breathing from an Air2 in their mouth? Once or twice in their entire diving career in the unlikely event of an OOA emergency?
If they ascend with an Air 2 in their mouths, it is because they are sharing air with someone else during an OOA emergency.

No, it does not happen often, but when it does, you do need to be able to vent air from the BCD as you ascend, or else you and the buddy you are supposedly rescuing will have an uncontrolled ascent to add to your problems.

All you USA folks should get on the UK forums, they are a lot better fun I have to say because whatever people say, they take it without being such a p%ssy and crying hahahaha.

Don’t get offended in life, it’s not good way to be.

So folks go on those forums and make unfounded and unsupported accusations against pieces of equipment, and no one requests them to be accountable?

If they ascend with an Air 2 in their mouths, it is because they are sharing air with someone else during an OOA emergency.

No, it does not happen often, but when it does, you do need to be able to vent air from the BCD as you ascend, or else you and the buddy you are supposedly rescuing will have an uncontrolled ascent to add to your problems.

I can see where in that scenario it would be more convenient to have a pull dump but I do wonder how many divers consciously make the decision to get a BCD with a functioning pull dump, use it regularly and would think to use it under those conditions.

I can see where in that scenario it would be more convenient to have a pull dump but I do wonder how many divers consciously make the decision to get a BCD with a functioning pull dump, use it regularly and would think to use it under those conditions.
The salespeople in the two stores where I worked told customers that they should use the pull dump to deflate their BCDs in the event they were sharing air. Tell me what you would do instead in that situation.

So folks go on those forums and make unfounded and unsupported accusations against pieces of equipment, and no one requests them to be accountable?
My “accusations” aren’t unfounded and unsupported. I’m talking about the joking in between the argument.

The salespeople in the two stores where I worked told customers that they should use the pull dump to deflate their BCDs in the event they were sharing air. Tell me what you would do instead in that situation.

I would use the pull dump on my BCD because I have a pull dump on my BCD and it would be safer and more convenient to do so. That much being said I never consciously thought about the connection between a BCD mounted regulator and using a pull dump in the event of an air sharing OOA emergency- now that you've spelled it out it makes perfect sense but I do wonder how many divers have thought it through and have a pull dump, know how to use a pull dump and would use a pull dump in that situation.

If not, then the obvious alternative method would be to a) breathe from BCD regulator b) remove regulator from mouth c) vent air from BCD upon ascent d) insert BCD regulator in mouth. Rinse and repeat.

My “accusations” aren’t unfounded and unsupported. I’m talking about the joking in between the argument.

So I guess I'll be the little blue guy over in the corner holding my breath, waiting for the technical data to support your suggestion that an Air2 is unsafe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom