Air2 AND octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having one less hose is the common selling point for this setup. I am not sure how having both the Air 2 and a standard octopus (the topic of this thread) fits into that reasoning.

Tech divers do not use Air 2's because
  1. they want their alternate to be of the same quality as the primary
  2. they do not want pull dumps because of their potential for failure.

3 Corrugated hose is longer than normal corrugated hose for inflator. Air 2 is less streamlined than normal inflator.

4 I don’t like a regulator with a quick release connection.

5 When a regulator is not working before a dive it is easy to replace by a spare regulator. It is easy to find a spare inflator or regulator on most trips. It would be hard to find a spare air2 (for me).

6 The inflator hose is not the same as a normal inflator hose, there is another type of connector on the inflator hose.

7 When the inflator button is causing problems and you have to disconnect the inflator hose you also disconnect the regulator parts of your inflator. When you are using an air2.

These were reasons for me to sell my aqualung airsource and replace it by a normal regulator and inflator.

I don't use the pull dump. I also dump maybe once or twice on ascent. Hardly an issue.

Dude, a thread from 2005? C'mon. The 5th Generation Air 2 might breath better than your primary reg. I don't know what your primary is, but I can tell you it is not the same as the first or even the forth generation. 5th gen has the dive/pre dive adjustment allowing you to setup the reg right, yet detune it to avoid a potential free flow. No different than most primary second stages.

The air 2 is traditionally used in conjunction with a standard regulator hose, and the standard procedure is for the two divers to lock arms or grab each other's BCDs to maintain a firm connection. That puts them face to face, doing the ascent while completely vertical. You cannot use a back dump in that position.
What is PADIs take on a divers trim while in a gas sharing episode?

5 When a regulator is not working before a dive it is easy to replace by a spare regulator. It is easy to find a spare inflator or regulator on most trips. It would be hard to find a spare air2 (for me).

6 The inflator hose is not the same as a normal inflator hose, there is another type of connector on the inflator hose.

The hose is no different than any other LP hose. The threaded fitting is different and can be swapped with a standard inflator fitting if need be. This would allow you to simply unscrew the larger inflator and screw on a standard inflator.

Why don’t rec divers dive as safely as tech divers while still rec diving? Gas sharing with a long hose and bungees back up is much easier than 2 short hoses.

This is a genuine question. I think it’s just a mindset but if anyone has good info, I’d be happy to hear

I read this old thread, and think we're heading down the wrong path. There are reasons to bash a regulator, but what is described in this thread is more emblematic of the marginal shop service at many LDS' than an indictment of the Air 2.
The Air2 is a dead simple unbalanced second stage. It's not more prone to freeflow than any other. They ARE typically detuned, which makes using them less pleasant than a standard adjustable second whose knob you can unscrew if you're actually using it.
But the real problem with ALL BCD-mounted second stages is neglect.
The regs get removed and soaked in the sink. That is less common for the BCD-mounted reg. Thus, it sits damp and less-completely washed, and salt crystals form. That, and verdigris corrosion, are why Air2 stories abound.

From a design standpoint, they're just fine.
Implementation (and pull dumps) are a different issue.
This thread has really diverged. It's been a good discussion, but there's lots of "apples vs. oranges".

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make exactly? I assume is that air2's are regulators and as such have the same maintenance and testing requirements as any other regulator.

Using a pull dump while you have an Air 2 in your mouth is not easily accomplished. The wire connecting the pin to the valve is at the Air 2, with no intermediate connections. Therefore, pulling on the hose does nothing. And if you pull on the hose to stretch the wire and open the dump, you risk pulling the reg out of your mouth. Either way, the complexity of that maneuver while supporting an OOA diver is why I no longer personally use the Air2 I bought in 1986.

I can confirm that on my SeaQuest Balance BCD I can simply pull on any part of the corrugated (2 part) hose (not on the regulator), which will then expand and pull on the internal cable and this procedure will allow gas to escape from the shoulder vent.

Back
Top Bottom