Air integrated computers w/ transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. I think I misinterpreted what you meant the first time around.

R..

People who recommend carrying an installed SPG to back up the wireless computer never truly explain the exact use of the backup installed SPG. Yes, it shows air pressure. So what? Unless you have a backup computer or a whole set of backup devices, you're not going to keep on trucking if your computer is kaput.

Let's assume that your computer didn't go kaput but only the pressure transmitter. Then the installed SPG would come in handy. But then ask yourself how often your dive computer and transmitter just decide to die?

The whole point of using wireless air integrated computer is so that you don't have to drag another hose/another console along. If you have no faith in a wireless computer then don't even spend money on it in the first place.

People who recommend carrying an installed SPG to back up the wireless computer never truly explain the exact use of the backup installed SPG. Yes, it shows air pressure. So what? Unless you have a backup computer or a whole set of backup devices, you're not going to keep on trucking if your computer is kaput.

Let's assume that your computer didn't go kaput but only the pressure transmitter. Then the installed SPG would come in handy. But then ask yourself how often your dive computer and transmitter just decide to die?

The whole point of using wireless air integrated computer is so that you don't have to drag another hose/another console along. If you have no faith in a wireless computer then don't even spend money on it in the first place.

Have to disagree with you. Personally I've not yet had loss of signal with my Sol, but there have been reports of this and it's nice to have a backup pressure reading. Pressure is an indication of the amount of gas available, which is a critical piece of info. Also part of having a backup is to decrease anxiety which is important when diving. My backup gauge is a small one on a short Miflex hose, so it's really low profile.

It's been useful when in line to jump off the boat and the the computer is not yet reading the pressure. Rather than waiting for the signal and holding up the line I can glance at the SPG and jump in.

The reason for AI is not to do away with a hose, but 1. to display the pressure in the computer display and 2. to assist with real time gas management via the Remaining Bottom Time calculation of the computer. Also, after the dive SmartTrack computes the SAC.

It's been useful when in line to jump off the boat and the the computer is not yet reading the pressure.

This is something you should establish during your gear check, not when you're in line and ready to jump.

Pressure is an indication of the amount of gas available, which is a critical piece of info.

That's why you check before you go in the water, and you check it occassionally when you're underwater. If you had checked your gauge five minutes ago and it was 2500-psi, suddenly your transmitter is kaput, it doesn't mean that all your gas is gone. You should more or less know your air consumption rate and know approximately how long a tank would last you at which depth anyway. My tanks usually last me close to an hour. 30-minutes into the dive and my thingiemabob died, I'd know that I will have at least another 20-minutes before my gas runs low. Not that I'd try to milk the dive but it's not going to throw me into a fit of panic either.

Also part of having a backup is to decrease anxiety which is important when diving.

If it makes you warm and fuzzy, then by all means.

My backup gauge is a small one on a short Miflex hose, so it's really low profile.

It'd still be another unwanted, unnecessary piece of gear for my own preference.

It's been useful when in line to jump off the boat and the the computer is not yet reading the pressure. Rather than waiting for the signal and holding up the line I can glance at the SPG and jump in.

I'd rather check my computer linkage on the deck.

The reason for AI is not to do away with a hose, but 1. to display the pressure in the computer display and 2. to assist with real time gas management via the Remaining Bottom Time calculation of the computer. Also, after the dive SmartTrack computes the SAC.

That's your reason. Mine is for the the convenience of one less hose. YMMV.

:eek:npatrol:

Sales talk and a lot of fluff. One of the main reasons Shearwater is eating into your slice of market-share.

LOL, the bigger reason is Shearwater's stuff is better and simpler to use. And their customer service is without equal. Oh, and they'd never come to a board and self promote like this without quantitative reasoning.

:)
No I don't work for Shearwater. But I do own a predator.

Cute how Liquivision never came back to substantiate their claims.

Maybe he'll grace us with more condescending yet devoid of substance posts after DEMA and the big Lynx reveal?

but there have been reports of this

There are reports of a lot of things. Bigfoot, Nessie, OgoPogo. I think a lot of these reports of wireless computer failures come from the "we don't need no stinkin' 'puters" crowd who've never even used one.

AFAIK, there's never been any independent study of their reliability (or lack thereof). All we have is anecdotal evidence. If we look at my diving background (Just over 500 logged dives) I've seen 1 computer failure and 3 "plain-old pressure gauge" failures so from that tiny sampling the computer is MORE reliable.

As they say at the end of the ad: "Your mileage may vary."

-Charles

Well, we were waiting for in-water testing to be completed before making any claims. Now that in-water testing is over, the claims are here:

- The Liquivision Lynx ultrasonic tank transmitter has an effective range of 100m/330ft (though in ideal conditions a maximum range of 300m/1000ft is possible)
- You can monitor the tank pressure of yourself and up to 9 other divers, as long as they are within the effective range of 100m/330ft (if you change the display to group mode you can simultaneously view all 10 tank pressures on one screen along with your basic dive info)
- You can find any 'lost' diver as the Lynx will give you a directional arrow to the signal source of any diver (it has three ultrasonic receiver sensors allowing it to triangulate the signal origin); it will also give you an approximate distance to the diver
- You can suspend a transmitter from the boat, and use it to locate the boat even if the boat is way out of visible range
- If the boat captain is using the boat messaging system, he can use a laptop and type text messages which you receive on your wrist unit; the boat captain can view the location of all the divers on his laptop as well as the tank pressure remaining of all the divers underwater
- Very limited Lynx shipments will begin before Christmas with major volumes starting in January
- The Lynx offers air/dive time remaining and all other usual features of air integrated computers
- It also has a tilt compensated digital compass
- Wrist unit including one transmitter is $1399
- We also offer package deals for dive instructors and dive tour guides that want to dive master with 9 other students/tourists, in this case the combo is one wrist unit with 10 transmitters, at a discount

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Back
Top Bottom