Air Buddy - My thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can say is... The site honestly scares me..
I agree wholeheartedly.
My opinion is that it's probably scared more potential buyers away than it's attracted to the product.
They need to hear that :)
Rick

I agree wholeheartedly.
My opinion is that it's probably scared more potential buyers away than it's attracted to the product.
They need to hear that :)
Rick

I think they could benefit from showing advantages of their product without using poor diving practices to make the point. i.e. it wont clog with sand or get hung up on coral if it drags behind you.

I'm a bit confused.

I'll accept that the air buddy works. That is; it will deliver breathable gas when you operate it and that it has no hidden safety problems (like overpressure relief). So what is the SCUBA application that anybody sees? Would you replace one or more demand valve regulators with an air buddy? Which one(s)? Would you use it as an additional breathing gas source? Why do you need an additional source? Why would you not use a conventional 2nd stage to satisfy that need?

The air buddy is intended to cover problems that might result from the failure of your own second stage (failing closed is rather unlikely) or to provide you with a source of air after you hand off your primary to a diver who needs it.

The air buddy is intended to cover problems that might result from the failure of your own second stage (failing closed is rather unlikely) or to provide you with a source of air after you hand off your primary to a diver who needs it.

Yes, I'm sure the manufacturer would like to see the dive community receive it as an acceptable replacement for an alternate 2nds stage demand regulator.

Is anyone in this thread is saying that it is an acceptable replacement for an octo?

Like any piece of gear it does require some thought and some planning, but I would have little hesitation in surrendering my primary to a distressed diver and making may ascent, whilst controlling the distressed diver and breathing off of the air buddy.

It's my understanding that the air buddy was developed years ago when a diver became trapped by a closing overhead hatch. The hatch could not be moved open and his buddy could only touch fingers through the crack with no room to pass a reg. The crack was big enough for a hose but nothing else so the air buddy was born. Now hatches are usually removed.

An interesting story ... but one that I somehow can't seem to believe.

Like any piece of gear it does require some thought and some planning, but I would have little hesitation in surrendering my primary to a distressed diver and making may ascent, whilst controlling the distressed diver and breathing off of the air buddy.

I, too, believe I would be able to operate one without incident. But I would not remove a conventional alternate from my kit and replace it with an air buddy.

Anybody planning on making the switch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom