Air Buddy - My thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frankly the best thing about the air buddy is for inflating life bags and SMBs without any concern of tangling.

We have those also. We call them LPI 'Jets' etc etc
gdz0108.jpg

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Attaches to standard fitting BCD hose to use for inflating lifting bags and other equipment.[/SIZE][/FONT] "

Andy's note: Not sold for inflating LUNGS. :shakehead:

I really can't grasp what the big deal is.

I didn't like the advertisement on their website, which I felt was grossly misleading.

I feel that the product is a poor safety choice, especially for novice divers. I wanted to draw attention to the product, and voice my concerns, so that other divers might stop and think before believing the claims associated with the product.

Tiny mouthpiece. Risky for a novice diver in an emergency. Hard to grip. Esily pulled/knocked out. Drowning.
But you haven't tested it, so this is only conjecture.
Incomplete mouth seal. Increased risk of water ingress and inhalation. Secondary drowning.
Requires bite to activate. Repeated use may damage mechanism. No air. Suffocation.

But then, why get confused with the facts?

Of the two people in this discussion who have tried it, none of these faults came up. People often castigate a product in search of a problem to solve. Here we have nonexistent problems in search of a product. :eyebrow: Given your cyber test: if you use this thing thou wilt surely die. First by drowning, then by second drowning and finally by suffocation. Yet, we don't have any incidents where that has happened. You wonder why we think you sound hysterical? :idk:

Please, would someone who has never dove the Bahamas tell me what it's like? Or how about fins... can someone who has never had mantaray fins on tell me how dangerous they really are? Or maybe masks... maybe someone who has never dove a Sea Ray mask tell me how it's going to kill me. I guess we need to open

The CyberDiver Gear Testing Facility
Making it up as we go along
'Cuz we don't need no steenkeeng facts!
All product tests based solely on conjecture.

I wanted to draw attention to the product, and voice my concerns, so that other divers might stop and think before believing the claims associated with the product.

The irony there is that it's probably gotten 3 times the attention now that it would have gotten otherwise.

Logic? I haven't dived with the item...but I do have eyes... and an appreciation for how less experienced divers cope under emergency conditions (and this is EMERGENCY equipment).

Perhaps you could connect your eyes to something, considering you have spent the past few days figureing that a primary is donated and air source is breathed by the donor?

Last edited:
It's nice to know that so many are experts on a piece of equipment they have never used. I purchased a used H2Odyssey 1st stage to put on a pony bottle and it came with the air buddy. I did not know what it was so called the number off the site. The person I spoke with was the inventor of the air buddy and he told me the story. I have not used mine yet but conversations with those who do own one say practice is required because it does breath different. I will try it in a pool first at the shallow end until I get the hang of it. Now back to letting you all rule the world.

After reading everything here, I find I still have the same opinion. If I am ever involved in an emergency I want everything to be brain dead simple so that I in my panic stricken, narked, addlepated state will use it correctly and have the highest chances possible of survival. I feel that a conventional octopus would best suit that need.

Nothing against the AB. If it works for you, then more power to you. I wouldn't even mind messing around with one for a dive or two, as I love fooling around with gear, but I don't ever foresee buying one.

I just found out about this....

Don't buy this Air Buddy.

Awful website, full of typos. I don't think much more care would have gone into their product development.

I've been very critical of the SpareAir before.... but this horrible device actually far exceeds the lunacy of that. It is downright stupid.

You bite on the tiny plastic nozel...and it squirts air into your mouth :idk:

Air Buddy

1a5203e0.gif

I have used my AirBuddy numerous times for breathing from and for inflating lift bags, have owned it now for several years. Never had a problem with it. In fact, I have completed dives into caverns with it sticking a pony in my belt and once recovered my anchor with just the AirBuddy at over 100 feet. I like mine.

Once you learn how to breath from it there really is no problem. The tilt valve should have a pop off if on a first stage alone.

In fact, I think I will get another.

N

Used it in an emergency...with a panicking buddy....in bad conditions? If not, hardly accurate to rate it as an AAS...

Used it in an emergency...with a panicking buddy....in bad conditions? If not, hardly accurate to rate it as an AAS...

I am not going to argue with you about something you probably have never used in a circumstance you probably have never experienced.

The AirBuddy works quite fine, if I were to use it as a an air source in place of a safe second, I would donate my regulator, I would use the AirBuddy.

You guys typically over complicate things, this is a good example, you stick it in your mouth, bite down with you lips slightly open and breath, really nothing to it.

N

Back
Top Bottom