Air Buddy - My thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done so, on many dives.

Oh? I thought it was because a boy got his finger caught in a dyke... oh, no... it was because a different boy swapped his grain for a magic bean.... damn, no.... it was because the ugly sisters wouldn't let Cinderella go to the Ball.....

Nah... those are different fairytails. :wink:

It was because someone had an idea that he thought would make him some money if he was prepared to market it using false claims and spurious facts...

Andy, I can't speak to the stories and claims, all I can say is that I have used it and it served the function that I expected it to. Have you tried one, or are you just jumping to assumptions, or ... ?

I have done so, on many dives.

Sure, you tested it.

In your last 100 dives where you used a primary and an alternate air source, how often did you use a conventional alternate 2nd stage (octo) for that source and how often did you use an air buddy?

It was because someone had an idea that he thought would make him some money if he was prepared to market it using false claims and spurious facts...
Only to be debunked by more false claims, spurious facts and pseudo-logic.

I've seen hysteria, unfounded assertions and wild speculation being used to "debunk" this product. No one that has used it seems inclined to attack it from ANY angle. It's just another case of "I don't do it that way, so it must be crap" mentality run amok. Sad that.

I hate '5 Second Abs' too....along with magic pills that make waist fat melt....or special herbs that destroy cellulite. I don't buy penis extension tools from random emails either.

Does that make me close-minded and hysterical?

I guess it is just a matter of perspective. I come from a country/region where there are strict licensing laws that restrict what can be sold to the public and also consumer laws that prevent false and misleading advertising.

It's just scuba diving 'snake oil' to me.

I am guessing that the 'Air Buddy' doesn't have a 'CE' rating for Europe....and I've certainly never seen it available for sale there.

I hate '5 Second Abs' too....along with magic pills that make waist fat melt....or special herbs that destroy cellulite. I don't buy penis extension tools from random emails either.

Does that make me close-minded and hysterical?

No, it just makes you more likely to end up fat and with a small penis. :)

(sorry, I just couldnt resist)

I am a fat, wobbly skinned, minutely endowed diver, who hates gimmicks.

Logic? I haven't dived with the item...but I do have eyes... and an appreciation for how less experienced divers cope under emergency conditions (and this is EMERGENCY equipment). Here's a selection...

Tiny mouthpiece. Risky for a novice diver in an emergency. Hard to grip. Esily pulled/knocked out. Drowning.

Incomplete mouth seal. Increased risk of water ingress and inhalation. Secondary drowning.

Requires bite to activate. Repeated use may damage mechanism. No air. Suffocation.

I am a fat, wobbly skinned, minutely endowed diver, who hates gimmicks.

:rofl3:

Hey, I don't even like auxiliaries for "easy" dives. If I can ESE with ease or have a buddy who can BB competently (and that's oft the case) I don't bother. Frankly the best thing about the air buddy is for inflating life bags and SMBs without any concern of tangling. Here in Hawaii most of the places I dive there's no boat traffic, so that goes by the way and I dive minimalist, but if I carry an SMB, I often hook up the Air Buddy.

I really can't grasp what the big deal is.

Back
Top Bottom