AI Computer vs SPG, or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'd like to reach out to all the DIR divers to get an opinion. How many of you use an AI computer with no SPG? Or do you prefer the SPG over the AI Comp? Would you use both for redundancy? Im looking to possibly eliminate the SPG and just stick with an AI Comp but I'm really walking the line about this.

600107-oh_you_super.jpg

The DIR setup is very clear. It uses a simple SPG, and a depth gauge/timer on the right wrist. Although a lot of people use a computer which is capable of air integration for that depth gauge (Aladin Tec 2g or Vytec, for examples) few people actually use the transmitters, and their use is frowned upon, although I'm not sure the arguments that are advanced to support that are always good ones.

But the bottom line is SPG, no AI, for DIR.

$1300 for a computer that isn't as reliable as an spg and saves me from the oh so difficult task of unclipping an spg?!?! Sign me up!

The DIR setup is very clear. It uses a simple SPG, and a depth gauge/timer on the right wrist. Although a lot of people use a computer which is capable of air integration for that depth gauge (Aladin Tec 2g or Vytec, for examples) few people actually use the transmitters, and their use is frowned upon, although I'm not sure the arguments that are advanced to support that are always good ones.

But the bottom line is SPG, no AI, for DIR.

thats why i needed this cleared up. I have seen DIR or divers claiming to be strict DIR with AI computers and SPG's. It's been a confusing topic for me none the less

$1300 for a computer that isn't as reliable as an spg and saves me from the oh so difficult task of unclipping an spg?!?! Sign me up!

now contrary to that I've seen divers swear their AI comp is more reliable than any SPG. I dont necessarily believe that one bit but there's many opinions out there

If they are diving an AI computer, then its not DIR. Its "do it their own way", don't be fooled. Yea, the project tested some scubapro ones, but it was on a limited basis on a gas source that wasn't breathed. Non-applicable to 99.9% of the diving population.

DIR = no computer or AI tomfoolery.

For a hoseless remote AI, the transmitter sticks out like a sore thumb; it's also annoying & useless after doing valve drills when it doesn't re-establish the link. (Disconnect it and sell it on ebay or here on SB).

Anyway using the metric system, your bottom timer becomes your de facto pressure gauge, along with your regular analog bar spg as backup. . .:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom