AI Computer vs SPG, or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike,
I need to ask did you draw down the regulator press to zero after turning the valve off or did the transmitter still have some pressure on it? It depends on how you are plumbed and if the transmitter is seeing zero pressure or not. Also if it does see zero pressure for how long.

I had it plumbed into my HP port on my Apeks XTX 200 1st stage, pointing down along with my hoses.

My instructor clearly told me, it's not DIR and that I should remove it when I'm comfortable using just the SPG.

I love data and love being able to compile it on my laptop once I get home, I'm a nerd with numbers.

When I shut down the post, I remember sucking down all my air out of the hose as per protocol of my instructor.

I also purged it as I clipped it away. I can't recall if I saw zero at the time, but I breathed out of my left post for some time, enough to set the computer to zero.

When I turned the valve back on it matched my SPG.

It was kinda of nice looking at both for comparison, if you turn off the isolator valve, the Galileo Sol will tell you what is in the right post while the SPG marks my left post.

I'm not even close to being a Tec diver, I'm doing Rec diving in Open Water, so I might keep the transmitter just a bit more and then let it go.

I'm a data hog like Mike is and my AI computer lets me keep easy tabs on my air consumption trends (my current work in progress) as well as my profile incl. average depths, times, etc. But I still run it in Gauge Mode so that I am keeping the computer between my ears busy during the dive, as well. My intent is to supplement my judgement and give me corrections to make myself a better diver, not to replace my judgement.

As far as others' experience doing valve drills with AI computers and losing sync, my particular DC has never had that problem (yet) so it may be model-specific. That's why it's important to continually use your SPG to check your air so the SPG is the habit, not the DC.

Peace,
Greg

Opinions on just using my Vyper2 as my depth gauge and bottom timer? What other devices do you all use for this purpose? GUE states proper equipment is a wrist mounted bottom timer and watch with a functional stop watch feature. My Vyper has all these features.

Opinions on just using my Vyper2 as my depth gauge and bottom timer? What other devices do you all use for this purpose? GUE states proper equipment is a wrist mounted bottom timer and watch with a functional stop watch feature. My Vyper has all these features.

Is your Vyper2 a wristmount, and does it have a guage mode feature? You will also need a seperate time keeping device. Casio makes a few watches that do a good job, my buddy turned me on to one for $60 bucks that also has an electronic compass built in.

I use a Aeris Atmos 2 computer in guage mode for my bottom timer, it's just what I had.

The DIR setup is very clear. It uses a simple SPG, and a depth gauge/timer on the right wrist. Although a lot of people use a computer which is capable of air integration for that depth gauge (Aladin Tec 2g or Vytec, for examples) few people actually use the transmitters, and their use is frowned upon, although I'm not sure the arguments that are advanced to support that are always good ones.

But the bottom line is SPG, no AI, for DIR.

The DIR setup is very clear. It uses a simple SPG, and a depth gauge/timer on the right wrist. Although a lot of people use a computer which is capable of air integration for that depth gauge (Aladin Tec 2g or Vytec, for examples) few people actually use the transmitters, and their use is frowned upon, although I'm not sure the arguments that are advanced to support that are always good ones.

:inquisition:

Ximinez: Now -- you are accused of heresy on three counts -- heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed, and heresy by action -- *four* counts. Do you confess?

TSandM: I don't understand what I'm accused of.

Ximinez: Ha! Then we'll make you understand! Biggles! Fetch...THE CUSHIONS!

[JARRING CHORD]

[Biggles holds out two ordinary modern household cushions]

Biggles: Here they are, lord.

Ximinez: Now -- you have one last chance. Confess the heinous sin of heresy, reject the works of the ungodly -- *two* last chances. And you shall be free -- *three* last chances. You have three last chances, the nature of which I have divulged in my previous utterance.

TSandM: I don't know what you're talking about.

Ximinez: Right! If that's the way you want it -- Cardinal! Poke her with the soft cushions!

But the bottom line is SPG, no AI, for DIR.

The Vyper 2 in gauge mode mode will be fine. Note that the compass is limited to a tilt angle of +-5 degrees, so is effectively useless for anything but taking a bearing while stationary (which is why the Vyper 2 was replaced by the Vyper Air about 1 year later -- the latter compass has a +-45 deg. tilt angle). Many/most of us use the Suunto SK-7 in the DSS boot (although not required, you'll also want to get the appropriate DSS boot for your Vyper 2). You don't need a separate timepiece, but lots of us have them anyway.

Guy

Last edited:
Is your Vyper2 a wristmount, and does it have a guage mode feature? You will also need a seperate time keeping device. Casio makes a few watches that do a good job, my buddy turned me on to one for $60 bucks that also has an electronic compass built in.

I use a Aeris Atmos 2 computer in guage mode for my bottom timer, it's just what I had.

My Vyper2 is a wrist mount, I may get another timing device as well and just use the Vyper as a depth gauge

A wrist mount computer, so long as it gives depth and time, is acceptable for Fundamentals. Most instructors won't insist that you go into gauge mode until you've had some time to practice working with the tables and depth averaging, and you feel comfortable with it. It's not an overnight transition for most people. I think I dove my computer as a computer for about a year after Fundies, until I bent the thing by forgetting to tell it I was on 32% and ignored what it said . . . then I realized I really didn't need it any more.

Having a method of counting seconds is VERY handy for ascent practice, though. I can't remember if the Vyper has a stopwatch function or not, but it's probably not worth replacing the gauge just to get it.

Lynn,

What watch do you recommend as a clock to count the seconds? My Galileo I believe does not have a stopwatch, so I would need one.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

MG

Lynn,

What watch do you recommend as a clock to count the seconds? My Galileo I believe does not have a stopwatch, so I would need one.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

MG

Although my name is not Lynne,

I would recommend the ScubaPro Tec2G....you can reset your depth average and the stopwatch in guage mode....Plus if you already have the SP software and IRDA you can download to the SmartTrak software just the same. :)

-Dan (not Lynne)

Lynn,

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

MG

Mike,

A watch, waterproof to 3 times your most likely max depth. I use a Timex Ironman Triathlon that is waterproof to 200m, it cost me about 50 bucks.

A reason I say you want the 3-fold waterproof rating is because many manufacturers will be very optimistic about their products, and they even say so if you look in the fine print of the manuals. My previous watch, a Casio rated to 50m, died at 45 feet in Lake Travis, Texas. The manual said I should not take it past 1/3 of it's rated depth so roughly 50 feet. Amazingly enough that little guy survived 95 feet in Hawaiian Waters (and 7 months of a deployment to Iraq). Guess it was just his time to go.

Peace,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom