AI Computer vs SPG, or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats why i needed this cleared up. I have seen DIR or divers claiming to be strict DIR with AI computers and SPG's. It's been a confusing topic for me none the less

Really? I guess I have heard some crazy stuff on boats about "DIR" - everybody's an expert <sigh>. You've got 2 GUE instructors in your area, why not sign up for GUE-F and see what its really all about?

My husband uses a transmitter for his Vytec, but he is not and willingly says he is not DIR, although he took Fundies and has gotten UTD training with AG. His transmitter points down, so it doesn't get in the way of anything and it's not going to hit the ceiling. However, he has annoying frequent problems getting it to sync, and a valve drill kills that function. I, personally, have seen nothing watching him that has made me want to have a transmitter, even assuming the gauge I use permitted one.

There are a lot of people who are GUE or UTD trained, who elect after their training to deviate from the gear configuration and/or the procedures. That's certainly their decision, but those deviations are not DIR simply because someone with the training decides to use them.

I dive 2 AI computers. My G/F DIves a Computer and SPG

I will not argue wireless AI as DIR it simply isn't as I understand DIR but then again I am not a DIR diver.
As for those divers trying to do valve drills and having sync problems...
You should know the design and operation of your computer before attempting these drills.
As the transmitters turn off when you close the valve and depressurize the transmitter.
Some are designed in a way that will not allow resyncing while at depth. Other brands have their sync code preprogrammed in and can sync even when turned on at depth. This to me is a serious issue that weighed heavy in my choice of wireless AI PDC.

My husband uses a transmitter for his Vytec, but he is not and willingly says he is not DIR, although he took Fundies and has gotten UTD training with AG. His transmitter points down, so it doesn't get in the way of anything and it's not going to hit the ceiling. However, he has annoying frequent problems getting it to sync, and a valve drill kills that function. I, personally, have seen nothing watching him that has made me want to have a transmitter, even assuming the gauge I use permitted one.

There are a lot of people who are GUE or UTD trained, who elect after their training to deviate from the gear configuration and/or the procedures. That's certainly their decision, but those deviations are not DIR simply because someone with the training decides to use them.
I've had the transmitter configured pointing downward as well on my Vytec system . . .and had it still quit functioning during regular, non-valve drill dives. That particular orientation does not stick out like a sore thumb, but otoh, it's also probably the least optimal radiating position for sending the wireless signal to the computer's receiver.

I ran my Galileo Sol with transmitter on a right post valve shut down... Turned it back on at depth and it resynced...

Just my 2 cents on the questions raised about some transmitters not being able to resync on a valve drill, nothing more....

I am a computer data hog, and love to downloand the profile of the dive at the end, I still use my SPG during the dive...

Really? I guess I have heard some crazy stuff on boats about "DIR" - everybody's an expert <sigh>. You've got 2 GUE instructors in your area, why not sign up for GUE-F and see what its really all about?

I am actually signing up for GUE Fundamentals this summer. Should be a very educating course and Im looking forward to it.

I don't know what kind of diving you plan on pursuing, but if you get to the level where you're diving with stages and deco bottles, the AI computer will just hold you back, as it is only tracking the gas supply to which the transmitter is attached, meaning you would still have to monitor your stage or deco bottles with SPGs anyway. Part of the GUE/DIR approach is being able to dive the same equipment configuration for all dives, so why spend money on an unnecesary piece of equipment?

Also, as I'm sure you already know and has already been mentioned, AI computers are almost laughably expensive. If you take a Fundamentals class this summer, you'll find that the class is a much better way to spend that money.

AI computers are great, in the rec limits they give you the option to retrieve gas consumption information at different stages of a dive. As said above, it does have it's drawbacks.....

-It's an additional failure point
-Transmission is not 100%
-No way to check transmitter battery
-It's not DIR and shouldn't replace an SPG
-It becomes a crutch

With those things said, I've used an AI computer (in addition to SPG) for data tracking only post Fundies on 40-50 dives and liked being able to retrieve the info. My team always knew I had it in addition to my SPG for data tracking, and didn't bust my balls too bad for it. The dives we were doing were in open water and in very limited overhead environments. After becoming comfortable with the information and learning some info I might not otherwise have known, I took it off.

It does you very little good on a tec dive....it's just another failure point on bigger dives....and lastly, it really doesn't do much anything additional that the computer between your ears can't figure out on its own.

I ran my Galileo Sol with transmitter on a right post valve shut down... Turned it back on at depth and it resynced...

Just my 2 cents on the questions raised about some transmitters not being able to resync on a valve drill, nothing more....

I am a computer data hog, and love to downloand the profile of the dive at the end, I still use my SPG during the dive...

Hi Mike,
I need to ask did you draw down the regulator press to zero after turning the valve off or did the transmitter still have some pressure on it? It depends on how you are plumbed and if the transmitter is seeing zero pressure or not. Also if it does see zero pressure for how long.

Kberg,
I don't know what AI wireless PDC you have looked at or experienced but many will allow you to use multiple transmitters and monitor multiple bottles with different gas mixtures.
As for the price vs value, some of these computers will allow both extended bottom times and safety margins that you just don't get with tables.
I really don't mean to argue the value of a course or piece of hardware both are of value under certain circumstances.
Althought I do understand the concept of diving configured the same way or the same as your divebuddy, Other divers interests may take them down a road where an AI wireless PDC suits them better or during another turn in the road doubles and lets not forget rebreathers. We all make the choices that suit us at any point leading onward and that is how it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom