Ah the insane procedures involved in returning home...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM:
Don't your breakfast rolls from Texas get a bit stale after a while? :eyebrow:

I couldn't finish all the cookies Jeremy gave us on the boat, and since it's very impolite to put a half-eaten package back :shakehead , I'd just throw the rest in my dive bag for a snack on my way home. Trail mix - well, I spent $2 at the grocery store for almonds and dried fruit instead of hauling food from home. I have to say - dried fruit you buy at the groceries in Coz is far superior to what I can get here at home - it's a whole lot "moister". Now THAT is a great after dive (or between dive) snack. :D
Hehe, I don't know what additives they had, but unopened they last for weeks. We were there only a few days as usual, and I kept them sealed in a big ziplock.

I was on a cheap boat. The DM had bottled water, but we shared cookies with him.

I never have tried the big market there, but then I'm only there for days - not weeks. You do sound like a better shopper. :wink:

Geezzzz,
Man....Can't a girl just have her picture taken......I just had my hair done....

CheddarChick:
Geezzzz,
Man....Can't a girl just have her picture taken......I just had my hair done....
You have hair in that pic? :confused:

DandyDon:
Yeah, I carry a lot of stuff: my BC is a beast in itself, a few times I have been happy to have my pony, many at the hotel envied us having our own 12 cup coffee maker & real cups, it was handy having breakfast rolls, after dive cookies, trail mix, I carry a lot of spare parts, and my first aid kit was used twice by others in 4 boat trips.
Well if you decide to bring the pantry with you I can understand it :)
Next time you are there checkout one of the supermarkets. There are also a couple of really good bakeries. You can stock the hotel room with much better snacks than you would bring from home and it is all extremely inexpensive. My girlfriend and I kept a nice little stock of pasteries, cookies, cheese and fresh fruit that put the stuff you can find in the US to shame.

~Jess

:rofl3: You are not looking at the right part of the picture...:rofl3:

:no :no :no :no :no

lawofgravity:
I'm so glad they got rid of hand checking your check in. It's not pleasant having someone go through your dirty unmentionables. I found it curious how they make you take the batteries out of your dive light, put them in again and then turn it on to make sure it is actually a light and not some cleverly designed ray gun.

Have you SEEN some of the output of those can lights???

Speaking of food...can anyone explain why you can't take food onto the plane anymore? Nothing like taking a 3 1/2 hour flight over the dinner hour with only the prospect of a choice of chips or pretzals to eat. I can understand the concerns about produce and meat but I don't see the threat from food purchased from the grab n go at the airport to be consumed on the plane. Any thoughts about who has created this rule?

lawofgravity:
I'm so glad they got rid of hand checking your check in. It's not pleasant having someone go through your dirty unmentionables.

We were coming back from Cozumel one time, and I had some frozen fish packed in the bottom of the rolling cooler that I use for a suitcase. I piled two weeks worth of dirty underwear on top of the fish for insulation; packing this way usually results in the fish still being frozen when I get home to Austin. This time, unfortunately, our flight was delayed for several hours, and my luggage sat in the sun for a while. Also, one of the freezer bags with the fish had a leak in it. When I got home and opened it up (whew!!), there was a slip of paper showing that it had been randomly chosen for inspection in Houston. I imagine some poor guy in Customs was thinking "I don't get paid enough for this..."

manitou diver:
Speaking of food...can anyone explain why you can't take food onto the plane anymore? Nothing like taking a 3 1/2 hour flight over the dinner hour with only the prospect of a choice of chips or pretzals to eat. I can understand the concerns about produce and meat but I don't see the threat from food purchased from the grab n go at the airport to be consumed on the plane. Any thoughts about who has created this rule?
I'm not aware of this? I didn't this trip. My bud was supposed to bring subway sandwiches for the trip down, but blew it. We were in First Class on the way back with a nice hot sandwhich snack. :D

ggunn:
We were coming back from Cozumel one time, and I had some frozen fish packed in the bottom of the rolling cooler that I use for a suitcase. I piled two weeks worth of dirty underwear on top of the fish for insulation; packing this way usually results in the fish still being frozen when I get home to Austin. This time, unfortunately, our flight was delayed for several hours, and my luggage sat in the sun for a while. Also, one of the freezer bags with the fish had a leak in it. When I got home and opened it up (whew!!), there was a slip of paper showing that it had been randomly chosen for inspection in Houston. I imagine some poor guy in Customs was thinking "I don't get paid enough for this..."
:rofl3:

manitou diver:
Speaking of food...can anyone explain why you can't take food onto the plane anymore?

You CAN still take food on the plane. If your food has any part that could be considered a liquid or a gel it might not be allowed due to the new liquid restrictions. Because of this there were a number of notices sent out warning about many pies, etc not being allowed as carry ons. This has caused some confusion but as long as your food doesn't consist of a liquid or gel you should be allowed to carry it on. There is one other reason that you might be told you can not take your food through security and that is if they think it is going to make a mess in the x-ray machine. As long as you don't try to put your unpacked sandwhich on the conveyor belt you should have no problem.

I have recently taken fresh fruit, pastries, and cliff bars on planes with out any problem.

~Jess

Back
Top Bottom