After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Bill mentioned to me that an analysis of the regulator was negative, it was rebuilt without anything specific found.

It has been some time since the icident that started this thread. To date no ill effects to my body, and still no definitive explanation for the failure.

As mentioned the tank and reg had been serviced within 3-6 weeks of the failure. The first stage and tank were inspected after the event.

I have continued to dive the tank and regulator with no further incidents. Have probably made 60-70 dives since then and no duplication of the event. Only difference is that I carry the pony bottle on all dives now.

Most probable cause is debris in the K-valve.

Dr. Bill

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

being able to reach your valves.

What hogwash. You don't know the valve was closed. This is why there is nothing better then having a buddy and if your going to dive solo having a pony or doubles.

Being able to reach your valve is the wrong solution.

Know you're responding to Uncle Pug, Chrpai. Just for clarification my valve was definitely wide open during the incident. The fact that the valve and reg functioned fine after the tank pressure was checked and the reg reattached suggests debris may have been dislodged or blown out of the valve when I got topside.

Do find that it is important to position the pony valve knob where it can easily be reached and have the pony secured so the knob doesn't move too far from where it should be. I practice turning the pony on and off each time I dive. It is attached to my tank because when I wore it slung it got in the way of my videotaping when on the bottom, especially when "wedged" in rock crevices. It also got banged up quite a bit.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Went down to the Dive Park, geared up and dropped down solo to the wrecks at 70 ft. looking for the black sea bass. About three minutes into the dive my reg starting sucking hard... immediately. Full breath one minute, no breath the next. Tried my octo... no air. Inflator... same.

At 70 ft. and I'd been too lazy to attach my pony bottle. Instinctively I started towards the surface, trying to keep it as slow as I could but getting no air from my reg I couldn't be too slow.

After what seemed like minutes during which I remained calm and faced what I thought might be my death, I reached the surface out of breath. I was surprised at how calm I remained (although I don't panic in emergencies, at least to date).

At first I thought the air fill station had failed to properly fill my tank. Then I realized I had checked my gauge (such an instinctive thing I had forgotten I did it) and ther had been 3200 psi at the start.

My reg had been rebuilt 2-3 weeks ago, but had been functioning fine. Did two dives with it yesterday, one to 60 ft. with no problems. All I can gather from the incident was the first stage abruptly stopped delivering air. When I reconnected it later at the surface, it worked fine (although I didn't dive again today).

Other than feeling a little lightheaded after the dive, I notice no symptoms. Was only at depth for about two minutes so the bends seems highly unlikely. Initial light headedness may have been microbubbles. I exhaled what little I had in my lungs as I ascended so should be safe from embolism.

I've attached the dive profile from my computer.

Any precautions suggested from the Doc or others would be welcome since I plan to dive tomorrow and Monday. First time anything really serious has happened in 41 years of diving. My pony bottle is being surgically attached to my thorax as I write.

Thanks.

Dr. Bill

did you not have a dive buddy? That seems almost suicidal to me.....

Well, I hate to rub this in, but this is just another reason not to dive Solo.

Is it possible that that light headedness was from lack of oxygen?

this is going to sound like an insane suggestion, and probably require some serious contortionism, but...

In an extreme situation where you are sure you have air in the tank, but your reg does not work, you can breath directly off the tank. Basicly it involves catching bubbles, do not attempt to wrap your mouth arround the opening. You'll burn a lot of air that way, but you might just make it to the surface.

Seabear70- Previously I have posted the rough statistics regarding incidents diving solo vs incidents diving with buddies. I find solo diving to be much safer for me personally. However, I do not recommend it as a general practice. The mistake I made was in not carrying my pony with me on a dive that I had expected to be shallow but turned out not to be. I carry my pony on ALL dives now (even those anticipated to be 30' or less) except when I travel and am buddied up.

Most buddy teams I observe in my neck of the woods are same day, same ocean. They would be about as much help as having no pony. I do dive with several "regular" buddies who are great divers and know how to be a good buddy, but since no one I know here can dive 300-400 times a year like I do it is difficult for them to dive with me on every dive.

As for breathing from the tank, you are quite correct. However by the time I got out of my BCD and removed my DIN reg, I'd be dead.

Dr. Bill

Ok, as for the buddy teams you are talking about, I didn't say dive with idiots. I dive with people who live by my #1 diving rule, "Everyone Comes Back Alive." Anybody who can't understand that need not come next time.

I won't say I have not gone solo, I have. I know I will again. I do not suggest that other people do it though. Just as I do not suggest jumping off the Helipad on an oilrig, though if you do, wear shoes.

As for breathing off the tank, I use standard K valves, I never really understood the need for DIN.

thank you for the interesting report; I'd be a bit thrown by the nature of the problem, and by not being able to locate the debris

As for a permanent buddy, good luck. I'm a graphic designer working in two fields, and looking to combine them into one focus. If only I could be a scuba graphic designer, and make recording underwater life/wrecks part of that. I've been thinking of the magazines. Lord knows our dive magazines really need a face lift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom