After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Went down to the Dive Park, geared up and dropped down solo to the wrecks at 70 ft. looking for the black sea bass. About three minutes into the dive my reg starting sucking hard... immediately. Full breath one minute, no breath the next. Tried my octo... no air. Inflator... same.

At 70 ft. and I'd been too lazy to attach my pony bottle. Instinctively I started towards the surface, trying to keep it as slow as I could but getting no air from my reg I couldn't be too slow.

After what seemed like minutes during which I remained calm and faced what I thought might be my death, I reached the surface out of breath. I was surprised at how calm I remained (although I don't panic in emergencies, at least to date).

At first I thought the air fill station had failed to properly fill my tank. Then I realized I had checked my gauge (such an instinctive thing I had forgotten I did it) and ther had been 3200 psi at the start.

My reg had been rebuilt 2-3 weeks ago, but had been functioning fine. Did two dives with it yesterday, one to 60 ft. with no problems. All I can gather from the incident was the first stage abruptly stopped delivering air. When I reconnected it later at the surface, it worked fine (although I didn't dive again today).

Other than feeling a little lightheaded after the dive, I notice no symptoms. Was only at depth for about two minutes so the bends seems highly unlikely. Initial light headedness may have been microbubbles. I exhaled what little I had in my lungs as I ascended so should be safe from embolism.

I've attached the dive profile from my computer.

Any precautions suggested from the Doc or others would be welcome since I plan to dive tomorrow and Monday. First time anything really serious has happened in 41 years of diving. My pony bottle is being surgically attached to my thorax as I write.

Thanks.

Dr. Bill

Dang?! What brand of First Stage? My Oceanic failed while still on the boat, scaring the crap out of me. It was one of the failures that forced the recall last spring. It'd only been a few days since a boat-pick buddy let his air get to 500 at 80 feet. I thought then: "What if I needed air from you, sucker?" That's when I started thinking Pony Bottle; then I won a reg!

So you were solo diving without a Pony?! I really thought more of you as a diver than that. Can I start again now?

Did you talk with a dive doctor about this? I'd like to see you on Oxygen until you do!!

don

drbill once bubbled...
Went down to the Dive Park, geared up and dropped down solo to the wrecks at 70 ft. looking for the black sea bass. About three minutes into the dive my reg starting sucking hard... immediately. Full breath one minute, no breath the next. Tried my octo... no air. Inflator... same.

At 70 ft. and I'd been too lazy to attach my pony bottle. Instinctively I started towards the surface, trying to keep it as slow as I could but getting no air from my reg I couldn't be too slow.

After what seemed like minutes during which I remained calm and faced what I thought might be my death, I reached the surface out of breath. I was surprised at how calm I remained (although I don't panic in emergencies, at least to date).

At first I thought the air fill station had failed to properly fill my tank. Then I realized I had checked my gauge (such an instinctive thing I had forgotten I did it) and ther had been 3200 psi at the start.

My reg had been rebuilt 2-3 weeks ago, but had been functioning fine. Did two dives with it yesterday, one to 60 ft. with no problems. All I can gather from the incident was the first stage abruptly stopped delivering air. When I reconnected it later at the surface, it worked fine (although I didn't dive again today).

Other than feeling a little lightheaded after the dive, I notice no symptoms. Was only at depth for about two minutes so the bends seems highly unlikely. Initial light headedness may have been microbubbles. I exhaled what little I had in my lungs as I ascended so should be safe from embolism.

I've attached the dive profile from my computer.

Any precautions suggested from the Doc or others would be welcome since I plan to dive tomorrow and Monday. First time anything really serious has happened in 41 years of diving. My pony bottle is being surgically attached to my thorax as I write.

Thanks.

Dr. Bill

Did you look at the SPG when it wasn't delievering gas?? did you try a breath after you ascended a bit... there are a few things I oculd think of that would cause what you describe... One thing that is a slight possibility is that the valve was only cracked.. given time on the boat it would have read full pressure, and given you several breaths.. I try and teach my OC students to take a few test breaths on the surface WHILE looking at their spg, a valve thats only partially open will see the needle dip a bit then rebound.. Its usually the old salts that tend to get complacent, but as in your case your experience that also saved your butt.

I would also check your IP, if it is seriously off you can get some strange problems.. if its too low some regs are very hard to get gas from...

I was on a boat where a diver was complaining his reg "didn't feel right" I took a breath and it seemed very hard, same with his octo.. I hooked up an IP guage and it was 25psi, thats not a typo 25psi....

Appears you survived OK and that's great. You always think you can handle an emergency and not you know for sure.

My only concern is what is going to keep that regulator out of the scrap metal bin? At this point, the only thing should be a clear understanding of what failed and why.

Based on your past posts, I'm assuming this was your Mk10/G250. I'm hoping I'm wrong because, short of a seat breaking up, I can't imagine how the reg could do that. Maybe something in the tank blocked the dip tube.

Here pony, pony, pony.

Please keep us posted.

First off, I'm glad you are alright Dr Bill. Events like yours today always make a person look at life a bit differently.

Second, a buddy of mine had a similar experience earlier this year. We were both diving stell 95's and have similar air consumption rates. On our second dive one day she starts indicating she's out of air about 2/3 through the dive. We immediately started sharing my air.

Then looking at her gauge we realized her tank was more than half full. It took a bit but we realized her tank was completely on. Doh!

What I thought was quite interesting was how long she was able to breathe before not getting air. We were probably at 80' or so and had already done one full review of the schooner we were diving. I never realized that could happen before.

Lesson learned on our part. Was just wondering if something similar happened in your case.

Once again - I'm glad everything turned out alright.

Paula

Dang, that's why there is nothing better than a spare reg whether it be on a pony, H valve or manifold setup.....glad you made it back to tell us we all get complacent at times.
Rob

Ok, I gotta ask a stupid question...

Was your tank valve ON all the way????

Makes Uncle Pug's comments even more appropriate...

Glad your o'kay....

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

being able to reach your valves.

Handy skill that, as well as having an attentive buddy or independent gas supply, as I recently found out the hard way by not turning on my gas all the way:(.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom