After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill once bubbled...
The tank recently passed visual but that's an interesting thought. It could explain things too.

Dr. Bill

I recall a thread a while back about someone who found a dead mouse in a tank. I would definately check it before another dive. You may want to pull that valve & check before eating. Might cut your losses.

drbill once bubbled...
I will be back to regular use of my pony bottle on dives below 50 ft from now on.

Because you never know, perhaps a pony bottle on EVERY solo dive. Can't hurt, and can only help. Think of your situation at only 30 feet, but being caught up in mono line or a net....not pretty.

scubamax

Glad you are ok. Heres to staying calm under a normally stressful situation!

I take my 30 cf pony with me regardless of depth, and, on more than one occassion, needed to switch to my bottle!

diver_paula once bubbled...

Second, a buddy of mine had a similar experience earlier this year. We were both diving stell 95's and have similar air consumption rates. On our second dive one day she starts indicating she's out of air about 2/3 through the dive. We immediately started sharing my air.

Then looking at her gauge we realized her tank was more than half full. It took a bit but we realized her tank was completely on. Doh!

What I thought was quite interesting was how long she was able to breathe before not getting air. We were probably at 80' or so and had already done one full review of the schooner we were diving. I never realized that could happen before.

Paula

Hi Paula

I am correct to understand that the cause for the malfunction has never been found?

Scary...

Jean

Kaos once bubbled...

Hi Paula

I am correct to understand that the cause for the malfunction has never been found?

Scary...

Jean

Hi Jean.

Yes the reason was found. A TYPO on my part. Sorry. I can't edit my post given it's been more than an hour since I wrote it but what I meant to say was.... '

It took a bit but we realized her tank was NOT completely on.

I'm not sure how it happened given we were diving with my club and the unofficial procedure is for another person to doublecheck each person's tank before that person jumps in.

Paula

awap once bubbled...
Link has changed to a members only board. I registered but they must not like Texans.
Actually I believe the thread itself was locked down... but I though it would still be accessible through that link since I can get in.

Basically it is about the recent (June 03) death of a DM candidate (experienced diver, 18years old, just graduated from high school, bright future, well know and liked) here at what is a very benign dive site used for OW classes through deeper stuff.

He was diving a partially full HP80 and a pony bottle on the third dive of the day. They bounced to 93' and began working back up the sloping bottom. 5~6 minutes into the dive he signalled that he had 1330psi. Separated from his buddy on ascent he was found later floating on the surface dead with 0 psi in the HP80. The pony reg was caught behind him.

Went out today and did two dives with the same equipment. No repairs on it yet as I wanted to test it. First dive I went to 45 ft (easy ascent from that depth) and it worked like a charm. Then I put my pony bottle on and went back down to 70 ft, repeating yesterday's dive. Again it worked like a charm- breathed easily. Go figure. Will still have it checked but I wanted to test it first.

The idea of a particle in the debris tube sure makes some sense given today's performance. I might add I was clutching the reg on my pony bottle the whole time I was at depth today!

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
I might add I was clutching the reg on my pony bottle the whole time I was at depth today!

Dr. Bill

I'll bet you were. Sounds like the first time I got back on a horse that had bucked me off. Wanted to trust him, but couldn't...

Glad you weren't hurt, but next time - call DAN: 919-684-8111, or 800-446-2671. Store those in your cell phone... :D

don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom