After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[ShakaZulu]You guys are hijacking this thread, beat it and take this conversation off-line]

I am sorry for that response. I had read it awhile ago and just felt a response was needed but you are right it was not.

But you are looking better every time.

[
Do you think this would take you all the way to the bottom? Now, I admit, there would be som more air comming in from a valve that was just cracked open, but if that were the case, then it would get harder to breath, but I doubt it would shut off completely.

I am inclined to believe in equipment failure in this one. It might have been the regualator, or it might have been debris in the tank, but I don't se this as forgetting to open the valve all of the way.]

That would depend on how fast you are dropping also if the tank had crap in it then with the pressure from the tank it would have been rammed into any place it would fit and stay there. Because you are drawing on the reg and the air pressure from the tank it would make sense for it not to move.

The only thing I was thinking about as for equipment failure is it should not have worked after reaching the surface. The Scuba Pro people would reconize and deal with it as fast as they can. (I own nothing from Scuba Pro) i can not see how if it was a complete failure then how can it just work again the system is designed to fail and remain that way untill fixed. Also it would have failed open as it is made. What could have held the piston closed ? (that is not the point)

If the shop had done a proper Visual and Hydro and if the owner never let it go dry then nothing but bad air can corrode the tank. The idea that a foriegn piece cut off the complete first stage and then just fell out makes no sense. because it would have failed from the start. Unless it was something from the outside world like string or something but you would still have heard a leak and questioned that first.

As for Solo diving it's the best. May not be for everybody but it sure is calming.

Cheers
Derek

I would label crud in the tank as being an equipment failure.

Why it would start working after it reached the surface? Well, let's say something got in the valve enough to block it. Then upon reaching the surface, the tank was turned of and then dropped, jarred, or otherwise handled in someway roughly. Heck, imagine he bumped it on the dive ladder or on the deck. The garbage falls out or is busted into small enough pieces that it could fit through.

Suddenly it works, and no one ever really knows why.

[I would label crud in the tank as being an equipment failure.

Why it would start working after it reached the surface? Well, let's say something got in the valve enough to block it. Then upon reaching the surface, the tank was turned of and then dropped, jarred, or otherwise handled in someway roughly. Heck, imagine he bumped it on the dive ladder or on the deck. The garbage falls out or is busted into small enough pieces that it could fit through.

Suddenly it works, and no one ever really knows why]

I understand but where did all this crud come from?.

I just felt if you draw from your reg then have pressure pushing it further from behind would have it trapped. If it was big enough to break apart from a little bang on the side of the boat then it should have been found on the visual. This would happen all the time if a little bump on a tank did it. It also would have failed a hydro and eddy. You can not tell me that if somebody did a visual that they did not notice "crud in the tank". tanks as I know have been in use for years with out any "crud" ever. The owner does not seem like a guy that has his tank sucked dry very often. Also he seems like a guy that has his gear gone over often.

It also seems that he had his gear gone over several times since and nothing no crud or anything was found.

Nothing be bad about what I am about to say. After that happening at 70+ you may not go over your gear with full focus as a wee bit of what the .... may be present.

Complete failure is just that complete.

cheers
Derek

]

Hey, I can't explain it. I just gave the best annalysis I could. I know that there are LDS's out there that will cut corners with diver's gear. Perhaps they didn't bother to check it very well last time.

Perhaps this one will be a mystery, I really tend to believe more in equipment failure in this case then I do in DrBill making a simple mistake like not opening a valve far enough.

Damn ShakaZulu, I was about to invite you to be my permanent dive buddy until I looked at your profile! Whatever happened to "truth in advertising?"

Seabear70's assumption is probably the case. When I surfaced and returned to my spot, the tank was set down on the concrete gently. I broke the gear apart and took it over to the air fill station to have the pressure checked. They attached it to a wand and blew air into it which probably dislodged the particle.

As I have stated previously, despite the equipment failure, the ultimate failure was my brain. I should have followed my dive plan (no deeper than 40-50') or put on my pony bottle. As for my FORMER rule about diving with the pony only on dives greater than 40-50 ft, I feel quite comfortable that I can safely ascend from those depths (as proven by my ascent in this case). However, my pony bottle is always with me now. It is the most reliable buddy I know- just a twist of the wrist away.

Doc

[
They attached it to a wand and blew air into it which probably dislodged the particle.]

This is the key point I did not realize they had pushed air back through the system. What I still do not understand is what happened to the debry after the other visual was done was it too done by lackies not giving a rats *** or was it so small that nobody could find it ?. It must be of a size to have complete failure (first stage blocked completley). Nobody is above a simple mistake. I fully respect Doc bills abilities. And my own and I make mistakes every blue moon also.

Had they not pushed air back it could not have blocked and unblocked with out help. I also know loads of the in and outs. Never been to 280 on air mind you but close. My tanks die with so far nothing as in crud being in them.

Any LDS that acts like that should be sued. They are not doing there job and how hard is it really?

As for feeling safe that is your issue and only yours. the trouble people have is they need to blame some one. The dive buddy is there to save your bacon but is rarley with in reach or has a clue about you. ( this will be good) And normally can not dive as good as you. They can become the problem.

Truth be told you are on your own like it or not.
Cheers
Happy solo dives

Wolf Eel- I trust the LDS that did the visual implicitly. The owner took a fair amount of time to inspect not only my tank, but also broke down my regulator, contacted ScubaPro, etc. There was no charge for this- they were as interested in finding out the answer as I was.

Doc

drbill:
Wolf Eel- I trust the LDS that did the visual implicitly. The owner took a fair amount of time to inspect not only my tank, but also broke down my regulator, contacted ScubaPro, etc. There was no charge for this- they were as interested in finding out the answer as I was.

Doc

I was not realy cutting down anybody the thought of somebody not doing a visual when paid is not heard of where I live. That is why I put it that way. I have not heard of many dive shops cutting corners that badly.

I just do not understand where your piece of debry has gone ?
Unless it was just at where the first stage and the valve meet and when you removed the first then the piece fell out. For it to block the entire area is not a small piece at all. because you had said your BCD failed also and octo.

That tank had it had a eddy current and visual and Hydro ? if so then your tank has nothing in it. Also if you are the diver I think you are then you have not drained your tank of air in which case you should have no debry in the tank unless your air supply is fowled. As a working diver my tanks are not allways put down gently and I still have no debry in them but then again I have never had anything in my tanks including metal or mice.

Cheers
Derek

DA Aquamaster:
If you were diving a Mk 10, I cannot think of much that could have went wrong short of a valve that was only partially open or a sintered iron filter that was partially plugged. The piston design of the Mk 10 is really bullet proof and if an HP seat were to fail it would fail in a freeflow mode.
Really well done. Just like your instructor would have taught you so many years ago. Also, the filter is replaced during a normal regulator service.

I don't believe a partially plugged filter would cause this "out of air" experience. Suggest you have the regulator inspected by an expert. Because the regulator was recently serviced, it would be the first suspect. Have it inspected by somebody other than the re-builder. If that doesn't turn out, something floating around in your tank that plugged the tube is a plausable reason, although after 20 years of diving I have never seen it.

I'm really pleased to hear a happy ending on this board. It is so sad to hear of all the diver fatal accidents. I read this board to keep me humble and cautious. Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom