After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrBill's incident happened a while ago. I am sure he would feel better if someone had found something wrong. I know I would.

For you people that keep pounding others that dive solo, remember this: Solo diving is a personal choice. You have no right to criticize. I don't dive solo for one reason, my wife asked me not to. DrBill has enough experience and is proficient enough to make his own decisions.

I only wonder if the people that inspected the tank were truly certified to perform tank inspections. Most dive shops aren't. NetDoc is, I am getting certified this month.

DennisW:
DrBill's incident happened a while ago. I am sure he would feel better if someone had found something wrong. I know I would.

For you people that keep pounding others that dive solo, remember this: Solo diving is a personal choice. You have no right to criticize. I don't dive solo for one reason, my wife asked me not to. DrBill has enough experience and is proficient enough to make his own decisions.

I only wonder if the people that inspected the tank were truly certified to perform tank inspections. Most dive shops aren't. NetDoc is, I am getting certified this month.
I don't have a problem with him diving solo, but this incodent clearly demonstrated the hazzards involved in solo diving. There are a lot of people that might feel that they have pleanty of experience and are ready for solo diving, unfortunately they overlook the fact that Murphy has way more experience than all of us combined.

DrBill, from what I have gathered while I've been on this board, is one of the most experienced divers on the board. He solo dives, and he is an experienced solo diver. But despite his experience, he almost bought the farm. If there had been another diver present, all that would have been needed would be the use of an octopus. The dive would still have been blown, but the potential for a fatal accident would have been almost nil.

I do however agree that it would take a consientious and observant dive buddy to help out in this or any emergency. Way too many people try to take off on their own and depend on others to catch up. To those people, let me just say, "This is diving, not hide and go seek, and not follow the leader. The person you left behind may have saved your life."

Let me put it another way, I smoke. I like to smoke. I know the risks. I do not encourage others to smoke.

ScubaPro says it is impossible for my 1st stage to have frozen closed. While it is possible I may have made SCUBA history (and almost not lived to tell about it), I am leaning towards something in the tank. My LDS is looking at it again tonight.

Hi all

I say this with the most respect.
We never like to admit the silly things we do in life but Scuba Pro knows there equipment very well.

I talked to some others a second or two ago. And are you sure your air was on all the way.

I know you have loads of respect from your peers but still pony bottle only on dives past 50' why ?

The training did you good you came from 70' on a breath that was not full I am guessing as you where taking a breath.

At four or six dives a day I would guess you see equipment fail all the time why again would you dive without your pony bottle?.

Solo diving is excellent I dive loads alone. I never go with out air because a nasty fisherman may have left his line in the water. Worst of all a farm net may be lurking out in the depth.
Solo diving has it's draw backs and this is it. I would love to have people feel it is safe but when this happens it puts that black light on it.

Dive with your pony bottle and I agree in your case every first dive of the day take the two second to scoop up your pony reg and replace it . training. Only takes a second.

Cheers
Derek

DeepScuba:
Oh I get what yo mean about the smoking somehthing.

heheheh.

It was just an expression, and not meant to mean that you really were smoking pot :D

WHICH by the way is Legal in Canada (Well so I've heard).

On that front, it seems as if we Cdn's are in a head on collision course vs. the USA when it comes to the pot issue. One i hope America wins.

We have some dumb-a$$ed politicians up here who don't listen to the majority, so don't blame us for our idiots, please.

Now back to the program............

Arnaud..what personal attacks?? Meat-head was like the Smoking Pot thing, not meant with too much malice.....the rest are just facts, which are neutral by nature. Facts is facts, so to speak.

What does this have to do with diving. And the majority? do you not read the papers. i am not saying pro or con but give it up. Democrecy is what it is the people choice. And I hope the peoples choice is what they get even if some drunks get in there way.
Thanks keep it to diving or at least be fair a joint is nothing compared to a beer before diving and i have seen loads sitting on boats drinking just before and after so come on be real.

I was in my LDS yesterday, when a guy brought in a tank to be filled. When the employee went to open the valve on the tank after attaching the tank to the filling station, the hose pressure didn't climb. After moving the knob back and forth, he found a spot where it would open. He drained the tank and removed the seat from the valve. The seat was worn, but didn't look too bad. He put a new seat in the valve and tried again to fill the tank. Still the valve would not open to let air out.
They had the guy leave the tank for a tech to look at.
The employee told me that the valve is not serviced or inspected during either a VIP or a hydro (except for a superficial look over).
I don't know what the outcome was, but it scares me to think that a tank valve could just decide not to open or not to stay open.

TT :11:

wolf eel:
a joint is nothing compared to a beer before diving l.

I suspect this isn't true. But to paraphrase what you said - what is this doing in this thread? For that matter, why has this thread ben resurrected?

You are right but after reading it I just wanted to make my comment.

Because I for one are sick of all the lies either side. The people's choice is the people's choice. And I do not feel the world would be wrong in going after the real problems crack and so on and spend our hard earned tax dollars doing so. Remember prohibition good thing they changed that for some. Bad for loads of others. And if you have science on your side then fill us in because the data you holed would really help.
Cheers
Derek

You guys are hijacking this thread, beat it and take this conversation off-line...........

wolf eel:
Hi all

I say this with the most respect.
We never like to admit the silly things we do in life but Scuba Pro knows there equipment very well.

I talked to some others a second or two ago. And are you sure your air was on all the way.
Try this, open the bottle, with the regulator attached. Now, shut it down. Now, breath of of it. If you're like me, you'll get a breath, maybe a breath and a half.

Do you think this would take you all the way to the bottom? Now, I admit, there would be som more air comming in from a valve that was just cracked open, but if that were the case, then it would get harder to breath, but I doubt it would shut off completely.

I am inclined to believe in equipment failure in this one. It might have been the regualator, or it might have been debris in the tank, but I don't se this as forgetting to open the valve all of the way.

drbill:
So I'm now looking for a permanent buddy. Qualifications: Active diver whose passion is SCUBA; strong interest in marine ecology and underwater video or still photography a plus; skilled in Adobe Premiere editing; highly intelligent; good sense of humor; financially secure to ensure support of starving marine biologist's research and international dive needs (he contributes permanent land base on Catalina); interest in global dive travel; preferably long dark hair; Asian ethnicity a plus but not required; slender and fit; and of the female persuasion.

Apply through PM! Soon... I'm diving Friday!!

Dr. Bill

I guess a broke, short haired, overweight white guy is out of the question eh? :wink:

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom