After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I wouldn't want to interupt your "Zen".

Uhggg, Californians :D

You'd better vote for Arnie at least!!!!!

CNIDAE: Now THAT's a BURNNNNN :fire:

Must admit I'm now getting more worried. Just heard the inspection of my tank revealed nothing in it. A rebuild of my first stage indicated nothing wrong. And we have shark week starting Saturday so I'll be blue water diving for a (gulp) week. Time to pull out another reg and tank.

Cnidae- I have at least 800 solo dives to my credit. Only one serious incident (this one, although one is more than enough). Probably another 600 buddy dives with several incidents, all buddy-related and none directly involving me or my equipment except the first stage blow out in Thailand (rental equipment) and the unfilled tank back in 1969 (DM error). Based on that statistic I feel safer diving solo (although I really prefer a good buddy to share the dive with during and after- maybe I need my ultimate dive buddy more than I realize).

Coberry7- Yes, I was diving the same equipment the next day but with a pony bottle on the 70 ft dive. My reg has functioned flawlessly since I surfaced after the experience.

DeepScuba- no question I knew I'd done something wrong, and on my first empty breath from the reg at 65-70 ft.

Otter- believe me, I did not discount the possibility of either a CDS or embolism hit after the dive. I stayed close to the air station and paramedics for several hours after the dive. I would always counsel others to err on the side of caution (as I did with the instructor with the embolism).

Lragsac- if you and your hubby or Jen would come out more often, I'd be diving with a buddy far more than I do now. As you know, there would be no way to get my work done if I waited for buddies to appear when I needed to dive. Almost everyone who dives here is doing it professionally and therefore busy.

Definitely have to find out what caused this. If there was nothing in the tank, and it is impossible for the first stage to seize up closed, maybe this was all a nightmare. Hmmm... but why was iI in my wetsuit and very wet when I "woke up?"

Dr. Bill

DrBill:

Did they take apart the valve too??

Probably not,.......too lazy.

But hey if I'm wrong.............

Including the dip-tube as well. May as well go over the whole thing, as it probably needs cleaning anyways.

Do-it-right....not to be confused with DIR.

Regards.

P.S. As a "repairer" of sorts, from my experience, the problem is there if you want to find it, and when you do, there is usually little doubt.

The problem is, finding someone with enough gumption to spend the time required to give it a total and thorough going over from tip to tail.

I understand perfectly. In the warm water, I am an underwater photographer as is the LDS owner here. We were dive buddies for one reason, it made the roster look good. The minute we hit the water he went one way to take video and I went the other to burn up a roll of film. We both wanted "virgin areas" and chance to get our pictures, then we met back under the boat and finished our photography.

I didn't want other divers stirring up the wildlife for my photos anymore than Dr. Bill wants other divers stirring things up for his video. Sometimes it is easier to do these things alone. His work is far more valuable than mine at that.

I hope that he remembers his "horsey" the next time :) as I would like to hear more from him later. So, Dr. Bill, is that surgery that you were referring to earlier in the thread complete :) ?

lragsac once bubbled...

He doesn't need a pony. He needs:
a) a single tank and a buddy (team diving); or
b) double tanks and a buddy (team diving)

End of story.

Thank God you're okay, Bill.

Well thats your opinion, Im not about to tell him not to dive solo as he is gonna do what he is gonna do. He has probably been diving longer than i have been on this earth and has way more dives than i probably ever will. I may not agree with his diving style and obviously i know you dont, at least have some sort of redundancy for solo dives and make sure its effective. A bad buddy could potentially be worse than his pony bottle. But this has been beat to death several times and will leave it at that.

End of story

DiverBrian- Although I will continue to use my pony (even most dives when I'm buddied up), it seems an occasional dive buddy of mine has strongly suggested another option- using a permanent buddy. She knows that is impossible most of the time, but it is an idea worth pursuing.

So I'm now looking for a permanent buddy. Qualifications: Active diver whose passion is SCUBA; strong interest in marine ecology and underwater video or still photography a plus; skilled in Adobe Premiere editing; highly intelligent; good sense of humor; financially secure to ensure support of starving marine biologist's research and international dive needs (he contributes permanent land base on Catalina); interest in global dive travel; preferably long dark hair; Asian ethnicity a plus but not required; slender and fit; and of the female persuasion.

Apply through PM! Soon... I'm diving Friday!!

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
...So I'm now looking for a permanent buddy. Qualifications: Active diver whose passion is SCUBA; strong interest in marine ecology and underwater video or still photography a plus; skilled in Adobe Premiere editing; highly intelligent; good sense of humor; financially secure to ensure support of starving marine biologist's research and international dive needs (he contributes permanent land base on Catalina); interest in global dive travel; preferably long dark hair; Asian ethnicity a plus but not required; slender and fit; and of the female persuasion.

I thought I qualified...until the female thing ;-0

Dr Bill, I may be mistaken but from my experiances a pony bottle would be much simpler to manage. Buy a new reg and put all this other stuff out of your mind. A cylume stick would be a lot cheaper but it probably wouldnt have the same net effect on your psyche.
Bill

drbill once bubbled...
Must admit I'm now getting more worried. Just heard the inspection of my tank revealed nothing in it. A rebuild of my first stage indicated nothing wrong. And we have shark week starting Saturday so I'll be blue water diving for a (gulp) week. Time to pull out another reg and tank.

Definitely have to find out what caused this. If there was nothing in the tank, and it is impossible for the first stage to seize up closed, maybe this was all a nightmare. Hmmm... but why was iI in my wetsuit and very wet when I "woke up?"

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Hello!

Please keep us posted with developments in your regulator malfunction.

Its likely you did not spend enough time at depth to worry about expanding inert gas and your ~60fpm ascent rate is high but not a problem if you exhaled as you surfaced. The probability of generating microbubbles or bubbles to account for lighheadedness is possible, but without a buildup of inert gas to sustain the bubble growth, they would soon collapse.

In general, DCI worsens as time progresses on the surface, while barotrauma improves.

Since lightheadedness could be due to many reasons beyond bubbles, including simply being short of breath, possibilities are too numerous to speculate.

Two users made this comment on divingaccidents@yahoogroups.com:

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:33:15 -0400
Subject: RE: [divingaccidents] MK10-G250 Scubapro regulator failure at depth
Reply-To: divingaccidents@yahoogroups.com

Not so, first stage failures are common, several years back we had an
incident while diving the Doria. Keith Wippert was using a high end
ScubaPro regular "Brand new" only 4 dives to set up his equipment. He
was part of a team of four going down the stern to the third class
area for cups and saucers. I was going to film the event after someone
had place a gate over an earlier found hole so we located a different
area for china, when we got to the hull @ 175' my camera flooded so I
motioned I would untangle the down lines and wait for there return, as I
untangled the lines Keith returned early having a problem and on his
pony I got him to the anchor line and up, he still had 2500 psi when the
reg stopped working.
Keith sent the regulator back to Scuba Pro and detailed the depth and
water temperature and pressure left, Scuba Pro duplicated the dive and
said the first stage failed because of the material the high pressure
seat was made under the depth/temp and pressure conditions and sent him
an upgraded new regulator he sold it and bough a different regulator.

I have also seen manifolds fail when the seat cement fails and the seat
comes lose from the brass insert on the on/off value and stop the gas
flow, this fellow wasn't as lucky he died.

Captain Steve Bielenda
email@wahoo.org

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 1:21 AM
To: divingaccidents@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [divingaccidents] MK10-G250 Scubapro regulator failure at
depth 9.27.03

The problem might not be the first stage. What kind of valve was on the
cylinder? I have seen faulty "J" valves produce the same problem. Was
the
interior of the cylinder inspected? I have serviced hundreds of MK-10s
and
have yet to find one that failed to supply air after it was properly
serviced. Two things come to mind that will lock up a first stage. One
is a
cracked spring that broke during the dive and the other is a blocked
relief
hole (on the HP seat cap) with a bad HP seat face o-ring which allows
air to
get behind the HP seat. However, both of these faults should have been
detected during the service that was recently performed.

George
----- Original Message -----
To: <divingaccidents@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 11:12 AM
Subject: [divingaccidents] MK10-G250 Scubapro regulator failure at depth

> [ this is particularly puzzling as the MK10 piston regulator is
supposedly
> bullet proof; the failure described is in the 1st stage -mg]
>
>
> Scuba Board (http://www.scubaboard.com/index.php)
> - Ask Dr. Decompression
(http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=15)
> -- After 41 years I almost bought it today...
> (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=37780)
> Posted by drbill on 09-27-2003 06:41 PM:
>
> After 41 years I almost bought it today...
>

Dr Bill,

Scary, I am glad you made it. It's been a month+, did you ever figure out what caused the failure?

RJ

Back
Top Bottom