After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only way I can see a piston reg failing shut, other than having the piston freeze into the closed position, is for the HP seat to come out of it's retainer and stick to the end of the piston knife edge.

The SP MKV used a separate chunk of plastic as a HP seal, but that was retained as a structural stop part of the reg closure. I haven't had a MK10 apart, but I understand the design is similar to the V. Check the HP seat for tightness and structural support.

I seem to remember on of the SP pilot operated firsts had a problem with a part that could easily be installed backwards, causing a similar intermittent problem, most probably when the diver went sharply head down.

It's time to chase this gremlin to death!

FT

The seat would have to break up a bit to come loose and that is really reaching.

Seat problem is out of contention on this reg then.

I've seen a few regs with smaller seats that weren't well supported. I was hoping this wasn't one of them. I think the 15 was the one with the backward part issue? When "upgraded" at the next annual it became a MK 20. It's been a while...

FT

Changes to that new "cup" seat like all newer SP BP and it becomes a Mk 10 Plus.

drbill once bubbled...
<snip>

Otter- correct that one could be asymptomatic prior to a life ending embolism. One can also exhibit symptoms (see following). As for how I felt, I am a pretty good judge of my physical condition. I had a stroke in the mid-80's while working on the Cousteau's Alcyone. I know the symptoms (when they appear in a non-fatal situation). I have also diagnosed a number of other divers and instructors when they had problems (including an embolism suffered by an instructor a month ago... I diagnosed it within a minute while the paramedics and hospital doctor did not. He had to wait 6 hours until he got to his VA doctor on the mainland to find out I was right... and the wait may have killed his dive career)....<snip>

Dr. Bill

I appreciate the clarification on the possiblity of being asympotmatic and I am sure that you would agree that others, who are less experienced , would be better served not to dismiss the possibility of some form of DCI following a CESA from 70 ft. and at least contact DAN.

I meant no disrespect.

Otter

lal7176 once bubbled...
Next time dont forget that pony bottle. :D

He doesn't need a pony. He needs:
a) a single tank and a buddy (team diving); or
b) double tanks and a buddy (team diving)

End of story.

Thank God you're okay, Bill.

Oh I get what yo mean about the smoking somehthing.

heheheh.

It was just an expression, and not meant to mean that you really were smoking pot :D

WHICH by the way is Legal in Canada (Well so I've heard).

On that front, it seems as if we Cdn's are in a head on collision course vs. the USA when it comes to the pot issue. One i hope America wins.

We have some dumb-a$$ed politicians up here who don't listen to the majority, so don't blame us for our idiots, please.

Now back to the program............

Arnaud..what personal attacks?? Meat-head was like the Smoking Pot thing, not meant with too much malice.....the rest are just facts, which are neutral by nature. Facts is facts, so to speak.
I for one am NOT against solo diving,........at all. But it is wrong to do any amount of solo diving without redundancy. It's just not a wise thing to do.

And using the "I can do a CESA from 100ft" doesn't cut it either. (DrBill didn't say this, I'm just using it as an example of how far dilluted people can be about safety).

Could you? Sure you probably could 100 times out of 100. You could also dive a "J"valve, no inflation, and no presssure guage too!

Still don't make it a smart thing to do does it?

I can have the utmost respect for someone, yet still tell him he did a very stupid thing, if in fact he did. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The best thing about that is, if the guy is really that good, he already knew what he did was wrong WAY before anyone told him! (There again, I'm not speaking directly to DrBill on this).

Regards

Dr. Bill,

I'm glad that you are alive! I'm glad to see that you acknowledge your mistakes as well.

DeepScuba had some good points that concern me regarding diving the same equipment without knowing what the problem was. Experience level or not, I find that foolhardy. Then again, you are more than welcome to make your own decisions on your diving, especially solo. It is up to us as divers reading your info to figure out what to do with the information you give us.....

And it is definitely not mature for any of us to deride you for your decisions, nor is it professional. I like to think that you submit posts like your original post much like you would submit a paper to a professional journal. Upon doing so, you never know what will come out of it, but that any criticism will be respectful and backed up with data, not supposition.

Name calling and derision is unacceptable.

Dr. Bill, when you find out what happened please let us know. I know I am curious, and also do not have enough knowledge of the internal workings of a reg to comment on what might have happened.

Take care,

Colin Berry

drbill once bubbled...
Any precautions suggested from the Doc or others would be welcome since I plan to dive tomorrow and Monday

I read this thread and got a great laugh out of it:giggle: Let me get this straight your diving SOLO and mounting a pony to your back and looking for advice, am I correct? My advice would be to take out a large life insurace policy.:drown:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom