After 41 years I almost bought it today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was coming up from a Key Largo wreck with my boat-pick buddy when we came upon a solo diver at 70 feet - pointing at his first stage. I checked it, finding it open, and then - I saw his pony, and turned it on. :drown:

I've learned from reading this board to take 2 breathes from each of all 3 regulators before jumping off - watching the SPG as I do.

Good luck, don

As per my last post, Don.

Don't mount them that way. Sling it.

But hey, to each his own. This is just one good example of why it's wrong, just the same.

Good thing he came across you. (Or you came across him). And he was solo you say?

Just what DO they teach people these days?

Regards.

DeepScuba

In response to yours, do you know anything about the type of diving I do? Do you know anything about my experience level, physical condition, the dive profiles I did to 45 ft or 70 ft, etc?

I didn't think so. While your comments would certainly make good sense in many cases, I don't find them applicable in my case for the following reasons.

1. Given the fact that the reg functioned fine at the surface AFTER my problem dive, and the possibility that it was not the regulator that malfunctioned, I had no qualms about diving the profile I did to a max depth of 45 ft. Most of that profile was at 20 ft in both directions. I had absolutely no concerns about an ascent from those depths. None.

2. Diving the 70- ft second dive with my pony bottle, given my air consumption, was likewise no problem. A 13-cu ft pony would give me PLENTY of time to make a safe ascent with safety stop. Had all three of the regs on my primary first stage gone out AND the reg on my pony bottle too, I might have been up sh*t's creek. I don't play lotto because of the odds, but felt perffectly safe on that one. And of course I put the pony bottle on for that dive... why wouldn't I? I certainly wouldn't llie about it!

3. I probably stopped smoking anything before you were born.

4. The need for redundancy is QUITE different at 50 ft vs 150 ft IMHO. One, I almost never go to 150 ft in the first place with or without a pony bottle, with or without a buddy. I know my capabilities and a 50 ft dive while "borderline" is one I could recover from. This does not suggest redundancy isn't a good thing at almost any depth, but the need for it is quite different under different dive scenarios.

5. Although you may not agree with it, my pony is strapped to my main tank. I used to carry it slung but for the kind of diving I do (something you didn't ask about) it is in the way when slung. I practice deploying it on at least one dive every day.

6. Finally, I agree that it is probably a tank problem and I had my LDS re-inspect the tank last night. Of course if it is a tank problem, diving with the reg wouldn't matter, would it.

My advice to you is to get a better understanding of the diver you are critiquing before you let loose. I will readily agree I was not smart to leave my pony bottle behind on the dive in question. However, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with diving the regh and tank the next day the way I did it... consider that I was gun-shy and not ready to duplicate the previous day's experience.

DiverBrian- no problem on the suggestion of oxygen. It might have been good for me to breathe it for a while.

Otter- correct that one could be asymptomatic prior to a life ending embolism. One can also exhibit symptoms (see following). As for how I felt, I am a pretty good judge of my physical condition. I had a stroke in the mid-80's while working on the Cousteau's Alcyone. I know the symptoms (when they appear in a non-fatal situation). I have also diagnosed a number of other divers and instructors when they had problems (including an embolism suffered by an instructor a month ago... I diagnosed it within a minute while the paramedics and hospital doctor did not. He had to wait 6 hours until he got to his VA doctor on the mainland to find out I was right... and the wait may have killed his dive career).

In short, I suggest before you jump to conclusions, you get more information. I readily acknowledge I should have done my "first" dive safer but I had few if any qualms about the subsequent ones. My profiles are almost always very conservative, especially in comparison to some of those in their 20's and 30's that I know out here.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
.. I had also wondered if something might have clogged the filter since that might have been consistent with the way it failed, and then worked topside...

Dr. Bill, Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Given the worked for two dives, then not, then worked again when you reconnected, I too wonder about a bit of rust or other debris in the tank clogging the valve. Let us know what you find out.

DR Bill, sounds like you passed your first test...........congrats on keeping a way cool head and coming back to share it with us. My guess would be a particle from your tank possibly altering the way the piston worked perhaps until you even inadvertantly hit the first stage with your hand or who knows what. The long and short of it is you were cool and it wasnt your turn. Maybe I should find my pony, I know its in the dust somewhere out side, LOL.
Bill...........dive safe guys and of course girls

DeepTechScuba- Not sure I understand your post??? Nothing wrong with my pony reg. I just didn't take it and the bottle with me (something wrong with my brain).

Dyno Bill- sure is nice to be alive and kicking! Actually wasn't my first "test." Had a near OOA experience at 90 ft. in 1969 (both my buddy and I- before SPG's, tanks on wrong rack, J-valves pulled) and a first stage blow in 2001 at Chumphon Pinnacle in Thailand (the correct way... it delivered LOTS of air for me to surface). Neither of the other incidents were really life threatening though.

Dr. Bill

Denial is a scary thing Dr bill, but lets bang themoff one at a time:

your post:

....DeepScuba

In response to yours, do you know anything about the type of diving I do? Do you know anything about my experience level, physical condition, the dive profiles I did to 45 ft or 70 ft, etc?

DS Response: So what?? I know the two profile you posted....so what?

I didn't think so. While your comments would certainly make good sense in many cases, I don't find them applicable in my case for the following reasons.

1. Given the fact that the reg functioned fine at the surface AFTER my problem dive, and the possibility that it was not the regulator that malfunctioned, I had no qualms about diving the profile I did to a max depth of 45 ft. Most of that profile was at 20 ft in both directions. I had absolutely no concerns about an ascent from those depths. None.

DS Response: So you DON"T know yet what is the problem, you say you've learned your lesson, and THEN YOU DO THE SAME THING before you find out what was really wrong.

Brilliant!

2. Diving the 70- ft second dive with my pony bottle, given my air consumption, was likewise no problem. A 13-cu ft pony would give me PLENTY of time to make a safe ascent with safety stop. Had all three of the regs on my primary first stage gone out AND the reg on my pony bottle too, I might have been up sh*t's creek. I don't play lotto because of the odds, but felt perffectly safe on that one. And of course I put the pony bottle on for that dive... why wouldn't I? I certainly wouldn't llie about it!

DS Response: Read my last response, AND my last post.

3. I probably stopped smoking anything before you were born.

DS Response: So WHAT!!! Are we now going to compare other irrelevant things in the future?? I don't care if you have 42 years experience, you obviously can still be wrong, and still make mistakes...Brilliant!

4. The need for redundancy is QUITE different at 50 ft vs 150 ft IMHO. One, I almost never go to 150 ft in the first place with or without a pony bottle, with or without a buddy. I know my capabilities and a 50 ft dive while "borderline" is one I could recover from. This does not suggest redundancy isn't a good thing at almost any depth, but the need for it is quite different under different dive scenarios.

DS Response: The need for redundancy while solo diving is ALWAYS required. Brilliant

5. Although you may not agree with it, my pony is strapped to my main tank. I used to carry it slung but for the kind of diving I do (something you didn't ask about) it is in the way when slung. I practice deploying it on at least one dive every day.

DS Response: Slinging it is the best way, you of course can do it any way you want, just DO IT. Just wear the damn thing!

6. Finally, I agree that it is probably a tank problem and I had my LDS re-inspect the tank last night. Of course if it is a tank problem, diving with the reg wouldn't matter, would it.

DS Response: SO continuing with your silly unlearned mistakes, all the while NOT KNOWING YET FOR SURE, what it is.....Brilliant!

Yes my frined, 42 years has certainly ingrained some well earned errs in your diving, so why would I attempt to fix what is obviously in err??? I won't, its your life.

Like I've said, you SAY you learned something through this, evidently not enough in my opinion.

You have become quite complacent, and if this didn't scare you for more than 1 day into making things safer for yourself, then not much will.

This ain't 1969 anymore. And you certainly don't have to "understand" a "specific" diver to understand how diving should be done, period.

If you don't want sound advice, then don't take it, but please stop with the childish excuses for your short comings.
I'd have more respect for someone that just said, "I was dumb, I've learned, and I will be a better diver tomorrow".

What more could you want but that?

Bottom line in all this: Wear your stupid pony while soloing, Meat-head :wacko:

Regards.

DeepScuba... you raise some good points from your perspective, and make some errors as well (from mine). I readily acknowledge two possible mistakes (the initial dive w/out a pony and possibly not taking O-2 afterwards). My initial posting was to make other divers aware of complacency. However, I find your attitude not worth engaging further.

Dr. Bill

PS - YOU raised the issue of smoking something, I was responding to YOUR comment. Brilliant.

DS, you're entitled to disagree with Dr. Bill, but the personal attacks are simply unacceptable.

Dr. Bill is a respected scientist, not only on this board... He is not advocating solo diving or a particular style of diving, but merely describing a diving incident for everyone's benefit. I personally know Bill and he has quickly earned my deepest respect. Most of us will never have a 1/10 of his knowledge. I know most of his dives are shallow and short in a site that usually has the best possible conditions . What the hell he was doing at 70ft without a pony beats me, but he's already acknowledged that mistake.

Even though I certainly don't support solo diving, I know that many, if not most, UW photographers or videographers dive solo. And all of them adapt their diving to their photographing needs, not the other way around.

So, please if you're training to become an Internet GI3, take it somewhere else. This here is not a good fight to pick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom