Affordable Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinpleong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I believe the best practice is to purchase two dive computers so that if one dies you have the other one just in case so that you can still do more dives. I was wondering how to decide what two dive watches I can purchase together. I would like to buy two DIFFERENT "affordable" dive watches but my understanding is that the watches have different dive computer algorithms.

I disagree, I think you're better off buying one good computer than 2 budget ones. If it fails before a dive, you rent or borrow one. If it fails during a dive, you abort the dive.

If I were on the market today, I would be looking at a Deep6 Excursion ($350) or a Shearwater Peregrine ($530). I think the Excursion is overall better value... but if I'm being perfectly honest, I would probably end up doing the mental gymnastics to justify the extra $$$ on the Shearwater, cuz it's just really nice.

I have dc failure underwater twice so I am diving with two. They are all no frill budget dc and one is at least 25 yrs old. I have a third one as back up.
User change of battery and ease of getting the respective battery and O-ring.

I just got a used Oceanic OCi with 47 dives on it, it looks new. When I sold my waY to conservative Cressi Lombardo. It cost me 188 dollars!
I am beyond overjoyed to say the least.

If you need a good used computer in AsiA, see Carl Johan- Nilsson on Facebook. He has them all the time. He is a stand up guy, and gas a good rep in my local Philippines dive community.

I was wondering how to decide what two dive watches I can purchase together. I would like to buy two DIFFERENT "affordable" dive watches but my understanding is that the watches have different dive computer algorithms.
As for deciding which ones, post them up here, and/or let us know the budget you are working with.

One of my personal requirements is that the computer must have at least 2 buttons. Single button computers are maddening to me. Two buttons or more doesn't guarantee a good UI, but it's a start.

If you are planning to buy two, I'd look for computers running the same algorithm. It seems more and more computers are running Buhlmann ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors. Sometimes with just presets, sometimes allowing custom GFs. Using two different algorithms can be done, but the more conservative one should control the dive. The more conservative computer could change from dive to dive.

I'd also recommend looking into whether the computer will lockout for certain discrepancies, and to make sure you are OK with the lockout duration and reasons for lockout.

For alarms, I'd highly recommend vibratory alarms over audible. Audible alarms are annoying to other divers, and tough to pinpoint the source underwater.

I will disagree with the OP as well. A single good computer is better. In recreational limits you are not pushing a ceiling that will force you to stay in the water. And you do have a backup computer, where is your buddy?

I have never had a computer fail in my 17+ years of diving. I have dived with a PDC that entire time ... Aeris Atmos 2, Nitek Duo, Shearwater Petrel 1, Perdix AI, and Peregrine. 750ish dives. Not one failure or dive missed because my dive computer failed.

With that said and in full transparency, I typically dive with two computers these days. It is a personal preference and I am lucky enough that I can afford it, but I do not see it as a necessity. One good, reliable dive computer will work just fine for recreational diving.

One good, reliable dive computer will work just fine for recreational diving.
Unless one is on a liveaboard, or at an expensive resort somewhere.

If your computer fails on a dive, and you have no backup, then you do not know your nitrogen status, and the only safe thing to do is not dive for 24h and then revert to tables or rent another computer. [You might be able to reconstruct your last few dives and still be on tables (if you remember how to use them :)), but with modern multi-level diving it is not a sure thing.]

Staying out of the water for 24h on a liveaboard or expensive resort is costly. Having a backup computer in your pocket or other wrist means you DO know your nitrogen status and can keep on diving.

Unless one is on a liveaboard, or at an expensive resort somewhere.

If your computer fails on a dive, and you have no backup, then you do not know your nitrogen status, and the only safe thing to do is not dive for 24h and then revert to tables or rent another computer. [You might be able to reconstruct your last few dives and still be on tables (if you remember how to use them :)), but with modern multi-level diving it is not a sure thing.]

Staying out of the water for 24h on a liveaboard or expensive resort is costly. Having a backup computer in your pocket or other wrist means you DO know your nitrogen status and can keep on diving.

That's not how I dive, but a backup computer would definitely be advisable in that situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom