Affordable Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Alex_Garland

Your OCS runs both DSAT and PZ+, you chose to run DSAT. DSAT is a liberal decompression algorithm. PZ+ would be considered moderate or middle of the road.

The Aqua Lung i470tc runs just PZ+. It would control all of your dives due to its more conservative decompression algorithm. Looks like it goes for about $550

The Peregrine and Teric run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors. Both have 3 presets and a custom setting, if you know what you are doing. The preset of 45/95 matches DSAT reasonably well, a little more conservative on 1st dive, especially deeper, a little more liberal on repetitive dives, especially shallower. The 95 setting is the GF high and controls the NDL on no stop dives. The 45 is the GF low and controls the 1st deco stop depth in decompression, does not apply to no stop dives. As per @Belzelbub I have been diving an Oceanic VT3 running DSAT since 2010, an Oceanic computer running DSAT since 2002. I have been diving a Buhlmann computer since 2015, a Teric since 2019. I love my Teric, it is a great computer for me, see below. The Peregrine goes for $530, the Teric for $1170, without transmitter. The Teric and the Geo Air use the same transmitter. I run my VT3 and Teric off one transmitter.

The Geo 4 and Geo Air run DSAT and PZ+. My family still dives a Geo 2, a fine computer, I would imagine the Geo 4 is too. The Geo 4 goes for $440, The Geo Air goes for $549 without transmitter. Oceanic offers a Geo Air bundle with transmitter for $800, $150 savings on the transmitter.

You have several fine choices for your second computer, best of luck.

View attachment 773085

Hi Alex, sorry, forgot to tell you, turn off your audible alarms, p 21 of your manual :)
View attachment 773086
View attachment 773088

Thank you very much for that reminder, scubadada. If I decide to go the Peregrine or Perdix route, turning off the alarm on my Oceanic means I could continue to wear it for added redundancy, with the new console computer higher up on my forearm.

And a big Thank You! to everyone else who contributed to this thread in response to my inquiries.

Thank you very much for that reminder, scubadada. If I decide to go the Peregrine or Perdix route, turning off the alarm on my Oceanic means I could continue to wear it for added redundancy, with the new console computer higher up on my forearm.

If you're not aware, Silent Explorers is having an amazing sale on Shearwater dive computers (since they're going to be dropping Shearwater). Peregrine for $330, Perdix (not AI) for $549, Perdix AI for $695.

Silent Explorers Maple Grove Minnesot United States Online SCUBA

My first computer was a Cressi Leonardo. Not going to get into the 1 or 2 computer debate but the Leonardo lets you (and your buddies) know if you’re ascending too fast. and taught me not to wave my arms around. I would definitely recommend looking into it as a first computer. I have a perdix ai and a peregrine now but I still love it.

Back
Top Bottom