Affordable Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one has suggested the most simple setup yet. Purchase a good mid price dive computer that you can afford. Then buy a nice cheap Casio dive watch and keep a set of dive tables in your BCD pocket.
My primary is a Shearwater Perdix AI. Watch is a Citizen Hyperaqualand Promaster and US Navy dive tables in my pocket. Dive tables don’t have batteries so nothing to fail.

I have two Terics. Easier than keeping tables in my pocket. I think @lexvil does the same thing.

You could go with a console puck and a wrist mounted puck. The console puck could be AI or not AI as desired. Two of the same computer solves the matching algorithm issues.

Unless that one computer has a flaw in the algorithm. Running 2 different computers in a recreational setting they should be pretty close to each other anyway. If they don't match by a lot, something is wrong with one of them. If they both match, and are both wrong, you will just keep convencing yourself that nothing is wrong. How could something be wrong? You have 2 separate computers that are both telling you the same information.

For years I ran a 1-button Oceanic computer (that I pretty much hated as soon as I got it). Eventually got a Shearwater and still love it to this day. For a time I had both. They never matched, but were close enough. The Shearwater was actually a bit more conservative. Eventually ditched the Oceanic (that reminds me I need to check it. It is tossed in the boat as an anchor recovery rig. I bet the battery is dead. And should probably check the regs for function. I'm sure the bottle is out of hydro as well.

Surprising everyone is suggesting to buy tope range computer. Shearwater computers are a lot of things, but by no means do they qualify as affordable.

I have dove many year on a cheap computer, that did everything I needed, on an RGBM algorithm. I was very happy with it, and would still be using it as main computer if I did not go towards the tech dive side.

If you want affordable, buy a zoop or a puck pro. They both do everything you can need. They are both bullet proof and tested many times over. A lot more reliable imo than any of the fancy computer you can get from any brand.

The only catch is that you won't be able to use your computer to show off...

If your computer fails on a dive, and you have no backup, then you do not know your nitrogen status, and the only safe thing to do is not dive for 24h and then revert to tables or rent another computer. [You might be able to reconstruct your last few dives and still be on tables (if you remember how to use them :)), but with modern multi-level diving it is not a sure thing.]

Staying out of the water for 24h on a liveaboard or expensive resort is costly. Having a backup computer in your pocket or other wrist means you DO know your nitrogen status and can keep on diving.
Thank you and that is EXACTLY why I am asking. I only plan on really diving on vacations and would rather not waste a day having to make sure that I know what my nitrogen status is. I would rather not buy two dive computers that are each $1 grand or more but two computers that are about $500 as I am not doing any tech diving. It would be nice to be able to have a dive computer that integrates with a nitrox mixes but besides that I just want a computer that is easy to read ie. has a decent screen display so it is easy to read the numbers and is intuitive and relatively easy to use. I would like to purchase two computers under $500 that are not the exact same computer. Preferably I would like two computers that I can easily replace the batteries quickly if it dies between dives and are on the same dive algorithms.

Thank you and that is EXACTLY why I am asking. I only plan on really diving on vacations and would rather not waste a day having to make sure that I know what my nitrogen status is. I would rather not buy two dive computers that are each $1 grand or more but two computers that are about $500 as I am not doing any tech diving. It would be nice to be able to have a dive computer that integrates with a nitrox mixes but besides that I just want a computer that is easy to read ie. has a decent screen display so it is easy to read the numbers and is intuitive and relatively easy to use. I would like to purchase two computers under $500 that are not the exact same computer. Preferably I would like two computers that I can easily replace the batteries quickly if it dies between dives and are on the same dive algorithms.
Maybe a Peregrine and an Excursion for your backup.

Get any cost effective computer and back it up with an Oceanic B.U.D set to DSAT.
Even one of the RGBM type selling for peanuts these days like the Cressi Leonardo, Mares Puck or Suunto Zoop.
On the odd occasion the main computer thinks you have been naughty, get a second opinion on the Oceanic and make a call from there.
If you bend the BUD, seek medical help.

I only plan on really diving on vacations and would rather not waste a day having to make sure that I know what my nitrogen status is.

I realize what you're looking for, but I'll entertain another thought. Buy your lower priced computer (guessing you want a wrist computer), such as a Zoop - use it while you get more dives in and learn all of its features and alarms. Later, buy a more expensive DC - you can still be well below the $1000 mark. Not saying failures don't happen, because they do, but if I'm buying something new, I don't go into the purchase wondering if the item will fail or not.

You are really only diving on vacations, so I take that to mean you will wind up diving with some dive op that does recreational dives. Don't know how many dives you will do a day, but the op will plan NDL dives - you just need to make sure you keep an eye on your "no deco time" and adjust your diving accordingly (for me it's usually slowly moving up some) - or let the DM know you're short on time.

At this point in my diving, if I had a computer failure, I'd get to my buddy as we dive a similar profile and work off of his computer (or the DM.) My bigger fear would be my air as I have an air integrated DC - but we are generally within a few hundred PSI of each other in air consumption. I don't think you'd have to waste a day making sure of what your nitrogen status is.

I’m sometimes bemused by the attitude toward dive computers displayed by some, sometimes we see more worry over a plastic b/c buckle than toward the computer.

it pays to get quality on some things and save on others, drysuits have alternatives that can save you thousands yet keep you as dry as the top end ones.

regulators are another, there are probably only 4 significant design differences, there are some better examples of execution of those designs and various finish qualities but most are tunable for good performance.

computers are not a good place to scrimp just because you don’t grasp all of its capabilities nor do you need them but features that are available and unused or unneeded are less of a concern than features that are needed/wanted but are unavailable.

this is one of those cases where something like the Apple Ultra or Garmin decent would shine. Either one backed up by a puck or Deep 6.

as an alternative keep your vacation dives under 40 minutes and less than 60 feet with an hour between dives and 4 dives per day max and you don’t need a computer at all, you will limiting yourself from a lot of opportunities but only being a warm water vacay diver already does that, you live near some great diving, some (a lot) of people live inland and don’t have options but to travel.

I dive with two dive computers when I'm on a liveaboard trip. But I rent the second computer.

Otherwise I use one computer and carry deco tables in my pocket.

We just sold off our cheap RGBM computers and bought Shearwater Terics. On our last liveabord trip, we used Suuntos (set liberally) and rented AquaLung backup computers that use Pelagic Z+. The AquaLungs consistently gave us an extra 10 minutes of NDL time compared to the Suuntos.

Back
Top Bottom