Affordable Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One good, reliable dive computer will work just fine for recreational diving.
Unless one is on a liveaboard, or at an expensive resort somewhere. ...
Staying out of the water for 24h on a liveaboard or expensive resort is costly. Having a backup computer in your pocket or other wrist means you DO know your nitrogen status and can keep on diving.
That is exactly what happened to me.

I was on a liveaboard (the Aquacat) and my Dive Computer failed at depth. I signaled to my buddy that I was OK but my DC was broken and that they should pair up with someone else and I was aborting the dive.

The crew from the boat lent me a dive computer to use for the rest of the trip, but I had to do a risk assessment as to whether I should stay out of the water and for how long since my "new" Dive Computer had no information on my N2 loading. Since this was the 1st dive of the day, and my DC had failed right at the start of the dive and I had been out of the water since about 4pm the afternoon before, I decided to continue diving but to deliberately stay shallow for the rest of that day.

That trip was the last time I ever dove with just one computer. Things fail; that is an unfortunate fact of life. Redundancy is not a bad thing. As "they" say: "Two is one and one is none."

An entry level computer, such as the Peregrine, will make a wonderfull 2nd to a perdix one day. Buy once, cry once. I use my Peregrine as a primary, to the used Zoop that came with my 1st reg set. Diff algo I know, but it is a redundant computer.

Unless one is on a liveaboard, or at an expensive resort somewhere.
If you are on a liveaboard or at an expensive resort, having two quality dive computers is a non-issue.

If I was really on a budget I would get two Scubapro 330 and dive tables. They are rock solid and reliable. I would even keep the backup dry on land if I had a semi-reliable buddy, as I could use my buddy’s computer as a backup in a pinch. The only drawback is the lack of backlight, but the simplicity is also what makes it so reliable and gives it great longevity.

I’m also of the opinion that learning to dive tables forces/teaches you to be more aware in both planning and executing dives, making you a safer/reliable/thinking diver. At first it might require some effort, but after a handful of dives it becomes second nature. I actually like using my Perdix in gauge mode (very expensive bottom timer) for the same reasons, even though I lately have been trying the tech mode.

I have had a computer fail on a dive...actually the same computer failed 3 times which is why I ended up throwing it in the trash.

I think the best budget DC on the market today is the Deep 6 computer. I use one as a backup computer. But I like to buy gear with "the end in mind" so if there are any thoughts of going tech, I would look at the Shearwater. I own a Perdix AI and it has never failed me.

If I was really on a budget I would get two Scubapro 330 and dive tables. They are rock solid and reliable. I would even keep the backup dry on land if I had a semi-reliable buddy, as I could use my buddy’s computer as a backup in a pinch. The only drawback is the lack of backlight, but the simplicity is also what makes it so reliable and gives it great longevity.

I’m also of the opinion that learning to dive tables forces/teaches you to be more aware in both planning and executing dives, making you a safer/reliable/thinking diver. At first it might require some effort, but after a handful of dives it becomes second nature. I actually like using my Perdix in gauge mode (very expensive bottom timer) for the same reasons, even though I lately have been trying the tech mode.
That's a bottom timer - not a computer. Limited life (once the battery dies, so does the device) and long past its prime. Using your buddy's computer is lousy advice “even in a pinch”. If your computer fails, your dive is over. And no one here is going to give up their computer and learn tables either. That horse has been overflogged many times.

I changed the battery(CR2450) of my Veo 180 Nx because of low battery after a trip a month ago. When I checked it again just before another trip couple of wks later. The battery was dead!

Scubapro 330 is a very good bottom timer but the cost has gone up substantially ie. same as basic dc. I really do not see any advantage of using it than dc beside changing the battery is not something that most people can handle. There is a way but why bother.

Am I the only person to have electronic failure(any form) over last 20yrs?

That's a bottom timer - not a computer. Limited life (once the battery dies, so does the device) and long past its prime. Using your buddy's computer is lousy advice even in a pinch. If your computer fails, your dive is over. And no one here is going to give up their computer and learn tables either. That horse has been overflogged many times.
Which is why I specified diving on tables, arguably not what OP asked for, but relevant as it would replace the need for a computer. Yes, battery is limited to a few thousand dives. Great value for the money. I would not plan to use my buddy’s computer, but I’m comfortable aborting a dive while leaning on my buddy for depth reference on the ascent - meaning I don’t necessarily need a backup gauge to safely end the dive. Yes, computers have some benefits, but pretending like you can’t enjoy diving safely with tables, while saving money, is misleading.

Which is why I specified diving on tables, arguably not what OP asked for, but relevant as it would replace the need for a computer. Yes, battery is limited to a few thousand dives. Great value for the money. I would not plan to use my buddy’s computer, but I’m comfortable aborting a dive while leaning on my buddy for depth reference on the ascent - meaning I don’t necessarily need a backup gauge to safely end the dive. Yes, computers have some benefits, but pretending like you can’t enjoy diving safely with tables, while saving money, is misleading.
Where are you buying this device?

No one has suggested the most simple setup yet. Purchase a good mid price dive computer that you can afford. Then buy a nice cheap Casio dive watch and keep a set of dive tables in your BCD pocket.
My primary is a Shearwater Perdix AI. Watch is a Citizen Hyperaqualand Promaster and US Navy dive tables in my pocket. Dive tables don’t have batteries so nothing to fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom