Aeris vs Mares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN Traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in a position of being able to upgrade my regulator. My LDS carries Aeris and Mares and I am trying to decide which one to purchase. I want to buy what he can service, so leave the ScubaPro, Aqualung, Apex, etc out of it.

My choices are between:

Aeris Atmos Pro
Mares Abyss
Mares Proton Metal/Ice

The costs are close enough that price is not the dertmining factor.

I would appreciate any feedback and real world experience with these regulators - especially where there is a direct comparison from personnal use.

Pros and Cons are welcomed.

I would say the difference should be based on what features you want. The aeris will be environmentally sealed, have a swivel and adjustments. The mares are non-sealed diaphragms without adjustments or swivels.

I really like the Aeris Pro - probably the best reg for $300... for recreational diving.

I know a lot of people like the Mares as well, and with the trade in progam, you can get an abyss for about the same - and they are nice if you don't want adjustments.

So I wouldn't worry about the brands as much as the features.

My experience with my Mares, MR22/Abyss has been nothing but positive. Over the last 5 years, from 20 to 200 feet I would not trade it for another reg.

Just my $.02

Mares lack adjustments are are more prone to free flow if out of your mouth. That said, they breath really well and I dive the Abyss.

wreckedinri:
My experience with my Mares, MR22/Abyss has been nothing but positive. Over the last 5 years, from 20 to 200 feet I would not trade it for another reg.

Just my $.02
i second that, you cant go wrong with the abyss

Mares Abyss.
It always performed flawlessly for me regardless of how cold or how deep.
The downside to it is that it's heavy.
The upside is that it's heavy and therefore very solid build. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom