advanced kicks with splits...the video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birdman

Contributor
Reaction score
Me and another scubaboarder (PnL, videographer) got motivated to video tape a frog kick and backward kick with splits due to this being a recent topic of discussion. We used Apollo biofins and Atomic splits. The Apollo's are an old pair that I have long since stopped using (if you like them they are for sale), and the Atomics were on loan for this pool exercise (and were on the small side). Please ignore that one of those pesky fin straps is flopping around on the Atomics during the backward kick -- when I owned a pair I found they did the quick-releaso-matic thing on me regularly and inopportunely (spring straps rule). [We think we could be a contender for the standing 10 buck "split fin reverse kick video challenge" :D if only for effort and not utility.]

Apollo Biofins
& Frog Kick

Atomic Splits &
Reverse Kick

Good video thanks. Mind if I use it to show students?

Birdman,

Please don't take these as criticism of you. I'm just pointing some things out, and asking for feedback.

Neither of those videos appear to show efficient kicking at all.

I think your forward propulsion in the frog kick is more a function of your legs kicking back a little during the kick, and the speed of the kick cycle versus the reset cycle. When I frog in my quattros just "tooling along", I have my ankles turned much more towards each other and almost kick my heels together. It's actually a pretty slow kick, and can practically feel myself push water behind me, nice and lazy. When I want a surge of power, I use the full leg, much like a real frog actually kicks.

Now going backwards.... wow. I didn't think that was possible... nice job at being able to. But my question always has been "why?" I could back up much faster using my hands to fin in front of myself. Is this bad form? Who cares? I wanna go backwards! Someone please help me see past my ignorance.

Comments/flames welcome.

Perhaps you can make some videos of hinged fins (e.g. Volo) and Force Fin's as well?

Regarding Allen42's comment about backing up with your hands: usually if you want to back up there is an obstruction in front of you (a wreck, rock, reef etc.) and there may not be enough room to fin with your hands. As a photographer I frequently find myself backing up to get a better distance to the subject and since my hands are holding the camera, I have to use my fins. "Hand-finning" one foot from a hungry moray is not a good idea anyway...
:snorkel:ScubaRon

ScubaRon once bubbled...
"Hand-finning" one foot from a hungry moray is not a good idea anyway...
:snorkel:ScubaRon
First, I'd like to point out you are a large chicken:D....

Second, thanks for the videos Birdman...it shows that backing up and frogs are possible with splits, but I have to agree with allen when he says that neither appear to be very efficent....especially the reverse kick...no offense, just constructive criticism.

Great video Birdman. If you watch the fin tips, you can see how worthless that fin is for both types of kicks. Where it should be pushing the water, it's being pushed BY the water. Or one tip is going one way, and the other one is going the other way!

No efficiency here.

Thanks.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Second, thanks for the videos Birdman...it shows that backing up and frogs are possible with splits, but I have to agree with allen when he says that neither appear to be very efficent....especially the reverse kick...no offense, just constructive criticism.

Skydiving without a parachute is possible too. Just not very efficient:D

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

I think by now everyone knows splits are designed for shorter, faster kick cycles. So wouldn't it make sense the same would apply for frog kicks and backwards?

How do you measure effiency? The amount of work the diver LOOKS likes he is doing compared to how far he goes, or the amount of work ( measured in say fatigue ) that the diver actually does in comparison to how far he goes.

Rapid kick cycles may look less elegant and look like more work, but is it really?

BTW I love the way the argument is changed to a matter of effiency after its been proven that it can be done.

The kicks looked like the would be stirring up some silt. Can you do the same videos on a silty bottom and see if a silt out occurs?

Wendy once bubbled...
The kicks looked like the would be stirring up some silt. Can you do the same videos on a silty bottom and see if a silt out occurs?

Of course they would. I think that's the point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom