Actual deaths involving suicide clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have folks used these different types of hooks with thick neoprene gloves and/or dry gloves aka...cold or very cold water environment where you seem to lose most of your tacticle feeling and dexterity?

I have used bolt snaps with rubber mittens.

It then happened that the tank attachment failed: I had a boltsnap on a bungee that was run under a cam band. This bungee then failed/slipped. This was nothing unexpected so I had prepared a backup boltsnap for this very scenario. I was able to locate the backup boltsnap on the tank. Then I tried to clip it onto my harness. And retried. And retried.

I spent some ten minutes hovering and fighting a bolt snap that always rotated and slipped. Finally I had to admit that I would not be able to operate the bolt snap even if my life would have depended on it. It was just too small (largest one available) and unusable. I'm now looking for something else than boltsnaps - for obvious safety reasons.

ps. the DIR knife is a joke too, if you happen to dive with mittens - or get entangled in something else than line. Just try to cut a wire or a bicycle with it :wink:

BTW, here is the best source for stainless snap shackles and several types of marine hardware I have found. Good prices and no service or quality complaints. They run a lot of sales. I ordered a Stainless 2½" Clevis Pin Snap Shackle for under $10 today with free shipping.

Shackle Hardware

The panic snap Thal linked to is nickel plated iron I think. The only stainless steel variety I could find is barrel-twist to open, which won't work. Maybe go brass and change often?
Panic Snap: Solid Brass W Round Eye, Panic Snap, Brass, 3 / 4 X 3-1 / 2

Thal...those seem great when you want to release something in a hurry but how handy are they when you attempt to clip something singlehandly like we normally do with the bottom clip of a stage bottle for example?

Not very, I tend to use spinnaker shackles for lots of stuff, in part because I have a bunch. The panic button snap is great for release, harder to close. The ideal item, which I can't find, is that damn Swedish snap hook with panic button.

Not very, I tend to use spinnaker shackles for lots of stuff, in part because I have a bunch. The panic button snap is great for release, harder to close. The ideal item, which I can't find, is that damn Swedish snap hook with panic button.

Thanks...

Back to the original question, although technically not a suicide clip, it looks and acts and quacks like a suicide clip. And although not technically diving, two men died. Thal might have even known them.....

www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/docs/boards/johnsealink.pdf

The JSL accident really has little effect on my choice of clips on my diving rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom