Actual deaths involving suicide clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I was doing some stuff with my sidemount kit the other day and decided to add some suicide clips to the rear attachment point on my tanks to see if it would help make the attachment a little tighter to my body (at the advice of a reputable sidemount diver). As I was rigging it a dive buddy of mine walk in and starts giving me a hand, and by giving me a hand what I mean is throws a tantrum that I am going to kill myself using those clips.

Now, mostly amused and curious about my friends outburst, I decided to do a little research. So after reading old threads, some accident reports and "Deep Descent" The only instance that I could find where there was a death that may have been attributed to these clips was in the case of John Ormsby on the Andrea Doria in 1985.

So my question is this, is there any well documented instances where there was a death that was directly caused by the use of one of these clips, or is the "suicide clip" name simply a product of urban legend?

Thanks for your insight all.

-- nielsent

Last edited:
wouldnt worry about it for sidemount, the main problem is they are line traps, but going thru a tight squeeze you can pack a boltsnap full of mud such that it wont open, the boat clips seem to be the choice in this case for sidemount divers doing this kind of diving (ie jill heinerth and brian kakuk). If the clip is facing inward on the rear attachment point it wont even be an issue as a line trap.

If they are snapped onto a slack line they can unhook themselves.

Don't ask.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

There are other good hardware solutions. I use Spinnaker Shackles (pricey), Fixed-Eye Panic Snaps (much cheaper) and Swedish Snap Hooks with Panic Button (my favorite, when I can find them, but very expensive). These all beat the crap out of snap bolts, unless you're cool-aid inebriated.:D

wouldnt worry about it for sidemount, the main problem is they are line traps, but going thru a tight squeeze you can pack a boltsnap full of mud such that it wont open, the boat clips seem to be the choice in this case for sidemount divers doing this kind of diving (ie jill heinerth and brian kakuk). If the clip is facing inward on the rear attachment point it wont even be an issue as a line trap.

Also, this is why you should never have any metal to metal attachments.

There are other good hardware solutions. I use Spinnaker Shackles (pricey), Fixed-Eye Panic Snaps (much cheaper) and Swedish Snap Hooks with Panic Button (my favorite, when I can find them, but very expensive). These all beat the crap out of snap bolts, unless you're cool-aid inebriated.:D

Spinnaker Shakles are great and versatile. I use them a lot. What are swedish snap hooks with panic button ? never heard of them. obviously a sailing derived shackle of some sort ?

Though inebriated, it is definitely not cool-aid :D. Would you be willing to supply some picutres of what you are speaking of Thal. Google has a hard time telling me what you consider each type of clip.

Though inebriated, it is definitely not cool-aid :D. Would you be willing to supply some picutres of what you are speaking of Thal. Google has a hard time telling me what you consider each type of clip.

+1...For Swedish Snap hook , Google Image keeps pointing me in the direction of a Swedish blondshell standing at a street corner and flimsily dressed...:wink:

I wouldnt use spin shackles, if you want to its fine, but being a sailor for 27 years I wouldnt trust them to open for the type of attachment he is talking about, cant say I have experience with your other 2 options but I doubt they are better than what is already out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom