Dragging a flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsnorman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had my first experience trying to drag a dive flag (required by shop supposedly for safety .. I tried to argue that my DSMB was sufficient notice I could deploy when surfacing but got overruled and it is their shop so their rules). My hands are already busy (full DSLR system, sidemount reg switches at least a few times) so holding the flag as suggested by the rental shop was not a great option. I was also hesitant to clip it to my harness for safety reasons, in case a boater or jet ski decided it would be fun to take a run at the flag (it happens, I have seen this behavior). I think what I should do next time is create a leash with paracord I can attach to the handle of the flag spool, and then attached the leash to my harness some something that will break away easily (zip tie?) if a boater snags the flag. Thoughts?

I've never done it, but I wouldn't suggest using a zip tie as a "quick release" mechanism.

If I had to think of a way to do this, I'd probably fasten some kind of rectangular block with a small arm (similar dimensions to a regulator) to the spool and put it through one of those octo quick release rubber bands so that it would be pulled out via the same mechanism a regulator would be pulled out (at least you know it works). This way, you have two break points, the octo band, and the plastic. If you've got a 3d printer, you can print something like this really easily too. Maybe there's a better way, but this was my quickly thought DIY approach

I had my first experience trying to drag a dive flag (required by shop supposedly for safety .. I tried to argue that my DSMB was sufficient notice I could deploy when surfacing but got overruled and it is their shop so their rules). My hands are already busy (full DSLR system, sidemount reg switches at least a few times) so holding the flag as suggested by the rental shop was not a great option. I was also hesitant to clip it to my harness for safety reasons, in case a boater or jet ski decided it would be fun to take a run at the flag (it happens, I have seen this behavior). I think what I should do next time is create a leash with paracord I can attach to the handle of the flag spool, and then attached the leash to my harness some something that will break away easily (zip tie?) if a boater snags the flag. Thoughts?

Dive flags are often required by law but without knowing the extent of who was around and where the other flags were I can't comment further other than saying that one per "group" is sufficient.

Now, to the specific. The flag I don't mind towing is the one from @MAKO Spearguns I don't fly with mine and having been a lifeguard for most of my life I am used to towing the rescue cans and that one is very easy to tow as a diver though I just saw the new tow-behind floating cooler and may need to try one of those out which would do double duty for lazy river runs as a drink cooler.....
Anyway I do agree that you should never clip a DSMB or dive flag off to your body but if you have to then using something like a marine quick release shackle which is what we will put on jon lines for decompression would be a far better option. You have to pull it to release but far more reliable than zip ties to break away.
Not necessarily advocating for this one as it isn't the ones that I have but just an example

I don’t know where you’re diving, but local laws may require the diver down flag. I have actually seen divers just push the flag with one hand occasionally. They didn’t hold it constantly at all. A heavy reel was used, not a light plastic spool. The reel just hung there. Perhaps you could push with your elbow? Stupid idea but who knows, worth a try.

Add a small float to the end of the leash you describe so it hovers above you.
Careful which zip tie you choose, I have seen them break with not much force (in swells).

I use a large bungie loop on the reel that goes very loosely around my wrist. All I have to do is point my hand in the direction of the pull and it will slide off.... otherwise it just can hang there. I've been successful doing to keep my hands free while dealing with a camera platform, grabbing bottles, etc.

Hi @jsnorman

I do quite a bit of solo drift diving in Boynton Beach FL, where a flag is required for each solo diver or group. I don't have to drag my flag, it usually is pulling me to some degree. I have had my flag snagged twice by a boat. Luckily, I was able to quickly let out line until it was released and did not lose the flag/reel. I would not attach my flag to me. I have a compact camera and dive single backmount, so don't have the other complications you do.

Are you solo, could someone else take your flag? Do you know or did you ask how others deal with your circumstances? I have seen that some solo divers add a small float to their flag line and attach it somewhere when using a large DLSR unit. Sidemount diving is extremely rare here, wouldn't know how to add that activity to the others

Good luck, let us know how it works.

I hardly ever use a float... if I need I shoot a lift bag, probably the law, but the diving I do it's more of a liability, and could kill me on certain dives,
I dive knowing that I have to surface along the bank or blow my lift bag,
It's like knowing I don't really have a direct accent to the surface...
If people don't know I am there that's even better...
and it's not like you can't hear the boats...

Paint a flag on your lift bag,,, with an air leak,,, :wink::wink:

I hardly ever use a float... if I need I shoot a lift bag, probably the law, but the diving I do it's more of a liability, and could kill me on certain dives,
I dive knowing that I have to surface along the bank or blow my lift bag,
It's like knowing I don't really have a direct accent to the surface...
If people don't know I am there that's even better...
and it's not like you can't hear the boats...

Paint a flag on your lift bag,,, with an air leak,,, :wink::wink:
don't do that in Florida or anywhere near the US Coast Guard. They will straight up arrest you for that, they have pretty much 0 tolerance with failure to tow a dive flag.

don't do that in Florida or anywhere near the US Coast Guard. They will straight up arrest you for that, they have pretty much 0 tolerance with failure to tow a dive flag.
Would that be dependant on the body of water and local regulations? I'm not aware of any federal requirement to tow a flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom