accidents on DIR community

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David C R

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week I was talking with a friend about dir diving and the gue stuff, basically I was telling him that dir diving points you to a safer diving, and into this point he ask me if I'm sure about that, if there are statistics about accidents rates on the dir community that can be compared with the commercial diving or something like that.
I realized I got no idea about any accident in this point, but I do regular know about accidents specially in Cozumel on the commercial diving community.

Someone have any information about?

:popcorn:

How about this. There is never any DIR accidents, because if someone got hurt...means that they were Doing It Wrong. :wink:

P.S. The closest you might get is to examine the WKPP record vs other projects.

Yes but since the whole team was doing it the same way they all died so no one reported it....

Last week I was talking with a friend about dir diving and the gue stuff, basically I was telling him that dir diving points you to a safer diving, and into this point he ask me if I'm sure about that, if there are statistics about accidents rates on the dir community that can be compared with the commercial diving or something like that.
I realized I got no idea about any accident in this point, but I do regular know about accidents specially in Cozumel on the commercial diving community.

Someone have any information about?

I don't think it's worthwhile trying to compare DIR to commercial diving. Commercial divers have a whole support team working with them, onboard decompression chambers, full face masks with communication equipment - stuff that simply isn't affordable or practical in recreational diving. The question is, how does DIR compare to other ways of doing similar profile diving. The answer is: no-one collects those statistics. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better safety record than WKPP or EKPP though.

From the OP's line about "Commercial accidents in Cozumel" I'm not convinced he means "Commercial Diving".

Do you mean the non-DIR Recreational Community, or Commercial Divers (ie, hardhat divers)?

From the OP's line about "Commercial accidents in Cozumel" I'm not convinced he means "Commercial Diving".

Do you mean the non-DIR Recreational Community, or Commercial Divers (ie, hardhat divers)?

Yes you're right sorry for the missunderstanding, I mean the non-dir Recreational community

With precisely zero real information, it would seem that many of the accidents we see would likely be prevented if people were following DIR protocols.

With that said, I think the bend rates are higher than anyone would like to admit on the bigger dives.

Rachel

I don't think it's worthwhile trying to compare DIR to commercial diving. Commercial divers have a whole support team working with them, onboard decompression chambers, full face masks with communication equipment - stuff that simply isn't affordable or practical in recreational diving.

Or even impossible in the case of cave diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom