Abby Sunderland possibly lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to agree with Jim. What parent would be crazy enough to let their child do that.

Apparently, she was trying to beat the record set by her brother when he was 17 as the youngest solo around the world sailor.

I (like everyone else) am grateful she has been found!!!

Yes, good news this morning that she was located. Heck, I couldn't even drive a car around the block at 16 (at least not legally).

Have to agree with Jim. What parent would be crazy enough to let their child do that.
I don't know the girl or her family well enough to decide if they were reckless or crazy to let her go.

I really don't see much difference between letting her go vs so much other risky things parents let the kids do. Heck, how many 16 YO are issued drivers licenses and hit the highways?

I do know she was a very experienced sailor in a very well equipped sailboat doing something that statistically is pretty safe.

I don't know the girl or her family well enough to decide if they were reckless or crazy to let her go.

I really don't see much difference between letting her go vs so much other risky things parents let the kids do. Heck, how many 16 YO are issued drivers licenses and hit the highways?

I do know she was a very experienced sailor in a very well equipped sailboat doing something that statistically is pretty safe.

I agree here, She was probably way more qualified to sail around the world than all those 17 and 18 year old kids taking the trip abroad and getting drunk off their azz. That, I will never understand.

Yes, it ranks right up there with letting kids scuba dive. :D

My point is there is a difference between allowing your kids to dive with you or someone else and letting them go around the world alone in a sailboat. And how many lives are possibly put at risk by the rescue effort that now must take place. Again big difference. I do nope that someone is getting a bill for this. I hope they make her pay for it out of the book and possibly movie deal she is almost guaranteed now. And her parents are still dopes as well as irresponsible and have way more money than common sense.

Parents are divorced. If I recall it was her father who wanted her to do it and her mother who sued her father to stop the trip. I'm with the mom.

Ah that may explain a lot. Dad sounds like typical twit living life through his kids. Why didn;t he do it himself. Mom would probably have supported that and even bought him the boat, drove him to the dock, and waved bye, bye. As she twirled one of the drain plugs in her hand!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom