A few words about the real DIR guys...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malammon

Reaction score
I just got back from cave country, and while I was there I spent some time at Extreme Exposure. For those who don't know, this is a dive shop in High Springs that is kinda like the GUE's home base. All of this business about the DIR army, bungeed wings of death, dir approved masks???, etc...., did not come from the guys down there. It came from kids on this board who should be spending more time in the water and less time creating garbage on this silly message board. My gear is not DIR, and my training is not GUE (NSS-CDS - where the GUE instructors first learned), and you know what, the hardcore DIR guys could care less. They did not think I was DIW or doomed because I run my inflator off my left post, or clip my SPG to my left shoulder ring. They thought 'hey, whatever works for you, see you in the caves'. I found these guys to be exceptionally forthcomming with information to anybody, open minded, friendly, and generally enthusiastic about diving. I encourage all of you who obsess over DIR either pro or con to make the trip, and meet the real people, and quit buying in to the crap on this board. I applaud the GUE for attempting to raise the bar for technical dive traing, it needed it. By the way, I chatted with a GUE 'celebrity' while he pushed He into his 125cf bailouts for his breather. The tanks were (heavens no!) OMS - PAINTED!!!. One more thing, EE is now a Aqual Lung dealer so be sure to check out thier selection of DIVE COMPUTERS while you are there. Sorry Pug.

This has been my view as well, as I have stated often on this board.

Those that preach the loudest about DIR seem to be the ones that know the least about it.

I am far from an expert myself, but after meeting and talking with those that are, and taking the DIRF class, I have found that none of them display the "attitude" that has become so commonly associated with it.

Yes, there are a few notable exceptions. GI3 can come across as very abrasive, but as a whole, still provides a ton of good information.

It's rather amusing to see how little that those who argue so forcefully on both sides of the coin actually know about it...

Malammom, you are 100% correct. This is the exact same thing I found out when I took my cave 1 class in December and my subsequent trip to cave country since then.

Stacey

Thanks for this post.

I agree that GUE should be applauded for raising the bar. While I am a new comer to DIR, I have been researching some of the training foundation associated with it since I began my scuba career with PADI ( I felt there was something missing). I needed more of a challenge and went on to wreck and nitrox only to find I wanted more.

In my search for better training, I kept coming back to GUE. I agree with some of the training philosophy and question other things behind DIR.

My main hesitation to begin my DIRF course was the attitude of some DIRF'ers that you might see in board posts on other forums like quest-unsubscribe@gue.com. It's all about "Stroke" this and "Stroke" that. A quote from recent posts (censored to be polite) like the one below from Mr. G. Irvine himself don't make the DIR diving training appealing or even approachable for some.

"Apparently, there are some real p****ies on this list who think that they can read what is on here, and then go attack GUE on Tec diver since they obviously can't take me on with anything but bull****. If you are one of those people, I want to know who you are so I can call you out. Every time one of you weenies does this, I am going to not only make an ass out of you, I am going to gore every ox you have and trash everything you sell, teach ,
or hold dear with perfect logic reasoning and facts that will make it clear how full of s&&t you are, and I am perfectly willing to do what it takes and take the time to do it. I hate p****ies with a passion."

I can only say that I'm not going to let the attitudes of a few hinder or delay what I want out of diving. The people here is S.D. have been very helpful and approachable. The instructors I've spoken with have also been very helpful and free flow with info. I have also found people on this forum very helpful, knowledgeable, and good hearted.

So when it comes to DIR, I am a rock and admit it with pride. All DIRF'ers were at one point in time in their diving career. So all that said, I'm very much excited about my upcoming DIRF class and Cave 1 course. It's also good to hear from all of you that you can't always believe what you read. I hope that as my training continues, I don't develop an unapproachable attitude. If I do, somebody shoot me.

Thanks again,
Annie

malammon once bubbled...
I just got back from cave country, and while I was there I spent some time at Extreme Exposure. For those who don't know, this is a dive shop in High Springs that is kinda like the GUE's home base. All of this business about the DIR army, bungeed wings of death, dir approved masks???, etc...., did not come from the guys down there. It came from kids on this board who should be spending more time in the water and less time creating garbage on this silly message board. My gear is not DIR, and my training is not GUE (NSS-CDS - where the GUE instructors first learned), and you know what, the hardcore DIR guys could care less. They did not think I was DIW or doomed because I run my inflator off my left post, or clip my SPG to my left shoulder ring. They thought 'hey, whatever works for you, see you in the caves'. I found these guys to be exceptionally forthcomming with information to anybody, open minded, friendly, and generally enthusiastic about diving. I encourage all of you who obsess over DIR either pro or con to make the trip, and meet the real people, and quit buying in to the crap on this board. I applaud the GUE for attempting to raise the bar for technical dive traing, it needed it. By the way, I chatted with a GUE 'celebrity' while he pushed He into his 125cf bailouts for his breather. The tanks were (heavens no!) OMS - PAINTED!!!. One more thing, EE is now a Aqual Lung dealer so be sure to check out thier selection of DIVE COMPUTERS while you are there. Sorry Pug.

Yes, contrary to some people's opionions on the board DIR divers aren't Darth Vader/Nazi wanna be's.. haha...

Those who think DIR or GUE people are a bunch of Nazi's and run around telling people they are going to die are the ones who don't get what DIR is all about. Gear is a small part of the big picture.

I do guarantee you won't see any of those dive computers, "inflators on the left post" or spg's clipped off to a shoullder d-ring on any GUE/DIR divers. :wink:

Also, no one said OMS tanks were a no-no... use what's best for the job. In that case I'm sure OMS tanks were being used due to their buoyancy characteristics with the rebreather.

longraven once bubbled...
I hope that as my training continues, I don't develop an unapproachable attitude. If I do, somebody shoot me.

There is someone over in another thread who is claiming:
there's a new gunman in town, and his motto is: "one shot, one kill"...

So if you ever do need to be shot, mebbe we will just refer you over to him :D

And speaking of shots, judging from your profile pic, maybe you should submit a few shots of you to our Women of SCUBA Board Calendar :wink:

malammon once bubbled...
Sorry Pug.
I'm not sure what you are apologizing for... or why you are apologizing to me...

But for your peace of mind:

I forgive you... do not be filled with sorrow on my account... you have done no harm to me.

longraven once bubbled...

My main hesitation to begin my DIRF course was the attitude of some DIRF'ers that you might see in board posts on other forums like quest-unsubscribe@gue.com. It's all about "Stroke" this and "Stroke" that. A quote from recent posts (censored to be polite) like the one below from Mr. G. Irvine himself don't make the DIR diving training appealing or even approachable for some.

"Apparently, there are some real p****ies on this list who think that they can read what is on here, and then go attack GUE on Tec diver since they obviously can't take me on with anything but bull****. If you are one of those people, I want to know who you are so I can call you out...

<snip>

This, as you guys have found out, is an extreme "rightist" point of view, and not at all the common view in DIR diving.

What do you expect from GI3?? Your attitude changes when you 'roid rage, you know. :D

I hope ... I don't develop an unapproachable attitude. If I do, somebody shoot me.
The DIR topic is one where its perfectly acceptable to shoot the messenger. Be careful not to bury the message along with the body though.
:tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom