A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would also be completely arbitrary based on meeting requiremets. Give us an example of diver level 1, 2, and 3. OW, AOW, and Rescue, or what?
I think CMAS has already done the heavy lifting on that for me.
A little consistency between agencies couldn't hurt.

I think CMAS has already done the heavy lifting on that for me.
A little consistency between agencies couldn't hurt.
the consistency is at the WRSTC level. After that, it is all about marketing. There is a reason why PADI has so much marketshare. Love them or hate them, you must agree that their marketing is incredibly effective.

OW to Hapless Scuba Diver
AOW to Dilettante Scuba Diver
RD to Tank Humping Scuba Diver
MSD to Second Vacation Scuba Diver
SD to Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver

Gardening.
Angler: Master Angler Awards
Bowling.
Beekeeping.
I can't find the criteria for bowlers, but the others all require significantly greater effort and/or demonstrated skill in the craft than the MSD cert.

I don't have a problem with bestowing the title Master for non-military professions or activities. I do have a problem with bestowing it to someone who has not necessarily demonstrated superior skills and dedication to that avocation.

Master Beekeeper
Requirements:
Must have three years of beekeeping experience.
Must have held Journeyman rank at least one year.
Must pass a written test (over Institute lectures) and practical documentation.
Complete 10 units of public service work beyond that required for Journeyman (see public service requirements).
Practical documentation must include subspecialty #1, plus four others from this list for a total of five. Evidence for each must be presented in a portfolio as with the Public Service Credits (see public service requirements).
Demonstrating theoretic knowledge of Integrated Pest Management, practical competence in its application, and personal commitment to its precepts.
Winning 1st or 2nd place in any class in an authorized honey show (not to exceed 2 subspecialty credits).
Winning 1st or 2nd place in an authorized competition in beeswax.
Publishing article in beekeeping publication (excluding newsletters).
Publishing article in a non-beekeeping publication (with at least state-wide distribution).
Being recognized as a beekeeping authority in your local area by appearing on radio, TV, or other public medium.
Documenting training in life-saving treatment of persons suffering from allergic reactions to insect stings from a recognized certifying entity such as the American Red Cross or American Heart Association.
Attending at least three regional (multi-state), national or international beekeeping meetings.
Conducting a program or workshop at a state, regional, national or international meeting or convention.
Demonstrating competence in small-scale queen rearing.
Completing a course on queen artificial insemination.
Acquiring private pesticide applicator’s license.
Documenting legally-licensed honey processing facility.
Participating in a beekeeping research or extension project at an approved institution.
Acquiring other certified bee-related training as approved by Review Board.
Serving two or more years as officer of regional, national or international bee organization (need not be consecutive nor in the same organization).

To become a certified University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener you must do the following:

Complete ten weeks of University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener training
Complete 60 hours of approved volunteer service

Annual recertification requirements:

30 hours of program-approved volunteer service
10 hours of approved education updates

The admirable ranking of “Master Angler” is bestowed upon individuals with talent enough to land trophy-size fish of different species. When an angler catches 5 trophy-size fish of different species (see Trophy Freshwater Fish Size Chart), he/she is automatically recognized as a Master Angler I. There are 4 successive levels of Master Angler recognition. To ascend in rank the angler must catch 5 different trophy-size fish for each level of recognition.

All agencies on the list have Master Scuba Diver programs. The last two on the list use the name beside the agency acronym on their card. There may be others, but I got tired. It is not just a PADI thing.

PADI
NAUI
SSI
SDI
NASDS
PDIC
NASE
ACUC Master Diver
IANTD Elite Diver

To throw yourself headfirst further into diving through courses for betterment is the realm of smart people

I wish "Advanced" open water was called something like intermediate open water.

With NAUI, it was appropriately called "Openwater II Scuba Diver" and the first course was called "Openwater I Scuba Diver" many blue moons ago. The "Advanced Diver" course was the third course in the sequence and the NAUI "Master Scuba Diver" course was the 4th level course. The names were changed circa 1994 when NAUI had to address the substantial market confusion created by PADI and for NAUI to remain competitive in the market unfortunately and changed the name of the courses to: Scuba Diver, Advanced Scuba diver, the old Advanced Diver rating was eliminated. The Master Scuba Diver remained as is with the same training and knowledge standards/requirements.

Back
Top Bottom