A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that it is fundamentally unhealthy that there is no level of recreational certification that is generally recognized by the community , at least on SB, as worthy of recognition and a significant indicator of skill. The message seems to be unless you are GUE Fundies or AN/DP you are just a peon, and I really don't think that is good for anyone.

I think that it is fundamentally unhealthy that there is no level of recreational certification that is generally recognized by the community , at least on SB, as worthy of recognition and a significant indicator of skill. The message seems to be unless you are GUE Fundies or AN/DP you are just a peon, and I really don't think that is good for anyone.
My informal summary of all the comments is that if you don't have MSD, you say it is worthless, and if you do have MSD, you say you got a lot out of it. Hmmm.

OW - > A(spiring) Level Diver
AOW-> B(asic) Level Diver
RD-> C(onfident) Level Diver
MSD-> D(ivine) Level Diver

I could see getting the MSD thing at some point but not because I’d set out with the goal of getting it. Take enough classes and Rescue and you’re a “master” scuba diver with, presumably, all the benefits, accolades, and prestige that comes with it.

Because certificates don’t, and never will, equal skill. I mean, yes, ideally if you’ve taken all the classes you’ve learned something and are a “better” diver than you were before. But there’s also no getting around the fact that the guy bouncing around the coral on his knees might have every rec certification in the book but very little actual experience, or hasn’t actually spent the required time to get good at what he’s doing.

It‘s like the people who fill out the application and pay the fee to be in the “Superlawyer” and “Top 40 under 40” publications. Some of them have also put in the time and effort to be good attorneys. Some could’t find the courthouse with a map and a compass.

They all give you a (virtual, non-existent) card just for taking courses? Roll up, roll up, pay us for a card and be called a Master without any additional training…

My point is they all have the same name, for those that are only offended by PADI using that name. And regardless of the agency the card is given (sold) only to those that complete requirements above OW. It's recreational diving, I'll save my outrage for something useful.

Somebody’s gotta be the baiter.
I was waiting for someone to chime in with that!

OW - > A(spiring) Level Diver
AOW-> B(asic) Level Diver
RD-> C(onfident) Level Diver
MSD-> D(ivine) Level Diver

(E) Experienced Diver …. When we humbly realize that despite the courses there remains a lot to be learned :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom