A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All agencies on the list have Master Scuba Diver programs. The last two on the list use the name beside the agency acronym on their card. There may be others, but I got tired. It is not just a PADI thing.

PADI
NAUI
SSI
SDI
NASDS
PDIC
NASE
ACUC Master Diver
IANTD Elite Diver
They all give you a (virtual, non-existent) card just for taking courses? Roll up, roll up, pay us for a card and be called a Master without any additional training…

They all give you a (virtual, non-existent) card just for taking courses? Roll up, roll up, pay us for a card and be called a Master without any additional training…

Nope, that isn't true for NAUI. NAUI Master Scuba Diver rating is a course on its own involving LOTS of academics in classroom, confined water and openwater work (minimum of 8 dives).

Nope, that isn't true for NAUI. NAUI Master Scuba Diver rating is a course on its own involving LOTS of academics in classroom, confined water and openwater work (minimum of 8 dives).
That list needs updating to exclude NAUI

That’s factually incorrect.

-There is extra training on top of Rescue Diver. I had to pass UW Nav, Wreck, Dry Suit, Enriched Air and Deep as elective specialty courses with eleven dives (and did an extra 25 dives or so to get my log book up). If I’d done it with NAUI I would have had to pass a five day course with eight dives covering
rescue, deep, night and navigation (and apparently Dive Theory, although that’s not mentioned on the website; I’ve also just done the PADI Dive Theory course, which is optional for amateur divers but which counts towards DM/Instructor exams if you take the assessments)

-PADI gave it to me for free, so it didn’t cost anything for me or my LDS.

So I will be shunned and avoided in a buddy pair with most of you because i am a MSD.
Lovely.
I did Naui in the 90's in the OW1-2 days, it really was better than a DM and up to Instructor level without the social interaction and the being poor part.

One thing I would say, title aside, is that MSD feels like the end of ‘initial training’ for Scuba rather than my Open Water course, just in terms of all round skill, breadth and competence.

Somebody’s gotta be the baiter.
I have always compared Master " divers " to Master " baiters "
In fact it's how I refer to them.
In construction trades a Master is rarely conferred on anyone with less than 10 years experience and demonstrable mastery.
They are also normally able to teach, so maybe instructors would better be suited for the title and we call all use baiter or equivalent for novices with a couple of hours underwater.

Back
Top Bottom