A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm sure i'll see the same trend as time goes on. As someone who started diving later, i'm not sure that maybe i'm fortunate that my expectations were just set lower. I'm means its tragic and terrible and I wish I could have seen the reefs at full health and beauty but born like 20 years too late for that. Just means my expectations are lower.

I also wonder about the future of oceanic wreck diving. Feels like there are fewer and fewer new wrecks (which is good) occurring (or occurring in divable depths), and the ocean is really taking its toll on the WW2 and similar vintage wrecks.
I think there are some really nice wrecks around me that I have yet to visit. Unfortunately, the water is fresh and cold. It’s like expedition diving, but you don’t need a passport, everybody speaks a common language, and there is no need to exchange currencies. You might not even have to get on a plane! Shhhh!

My first few dives right out of OW were with buddy who get certified same time as me. We dove at the same place we were trained and we got lost, I panicked because I didn’t know where I was, rapidly moving my head around and looking up and down. Then slowly ascended from thirty feet or so and seen we were WAY of course, took a heading and went in towards shore. This was a lake.

You are correct. Hell, the amount of divers I’ve seen who are Advanced and can’t assemble their gear is mind boggling and wish PADI instructors could be more harsh and fail students more. Don’t get me started on PADI training or business model
While I am obviously not a fan of PADI, I feel your singling out of them is not fair. Having friends "living the dream" throughout the world observing or doing themselves various standards violations, I hear all sorts of stuff about a number of agencies. The absolutely most egregious reported issue one of my friends reported to an agency (not PADI) was completely ignored. There is an industry problem here, not a PADI problem. I do wish to be fair, so I do wish to point that out.

I think there are some really nice wrecks around me that I have yet to visit. Unfortunately, the water is fresh and cold. It’s like expedition diving, but you don’t need a passport, everybody speaks a common language, and there is no need to exchange currencies. You might not even have to get on a plane! Shhhh!
Where do you live? 😂

Isn’t part of the reason why scuba is less popular that just hobbies shifted to other interests and scuba is relatively expensive in a period where young people can’t afford to buy assets or save for retirement (on average)?
It's not just that training and gear is expensive, it's that local diving in frequently boring (local reservoirs, for example), and dive travel is really expensive.

I suspect a part of the feeling that "things aren't what they used to be" is that one gets used to all the fish and perhaps a bit jaded. It is hard to go back to that feeling of amazement you had 20-30-40 years ago. Yes, the reefs and fish populations are changing, but so are we.
I dove recently on Roatan with a bunch of new divers. They were astonished at the display of underwater life. My advice to them was "enjoy it while you can". From my perspective, a panorama of green tinged "reef" and sparse fish life was not a pretty picture. Between elevated water temperatures and the devastation brought on by Lionfish things are not looking good.
I'm off to Indonesia in February after numerous recent trips to the Caribbean. Someone who thinks their perceptions have drifted should do the same.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

MSD gives one a goal to reach for if one is not going the Divemaster route. AND it requires Rescue, which is valuable to the individual, but also - and more importantly and altruistically - to the diving community. I personally would be thrilled if my insta-buddy had taken Rescue, wouldn't you?

When I started diving, people asked, "Are you going for Dive Master?" Well, I already have a great career, as do many of us. But I wanted to continue learning and improving. So, AOW, then Nitrox, so I could use it on a dive. But MSD requires Rescue, which is more difficult, but it encourages one to do it. So, I girded my loins and signed up for it. It wore me out, but I was so glad I took Rescue! Then, more certs for doing and learning more about the types of diving I enjoy, check. More dives required, so more dive trips and more great experiences and situational learning. The highlight so far was my Galapagos Liveaboard trip. Everyone should know that dubious yet profound joy of suiting up at O-Dark-thirty and somersaulting backwards from a Zodiac into the middle of the Pacific Ocean, only to be continuously wowed by incredible, beautiful, and rare marine life.

The MSD is a carrot on a stick which one can work toward if one is not going to eventually teach. And, no, I didn't sew the patch on my jacket or my dive bag, but I sure wouldn't fault anyone for doing so if that floated their boat.

Keep diving and learning and having fun doing the kind of diving you enjoy!

I dove recently on Roatan with a bunch of new divers. They were astonished at the display of underwater life. My advice to them was "enjoy it while you can". From my perspective, a panorama of green tinged "reef" and sparse fish life was not a pretty picture. Between elevated water temperatures and the devastation brought on by Lionfish things are not looking good.
I'm off to Indonesia in February after numerous recent trips to the Caribbean. Someone who thinks their perceptions have drifted should do the same.
I was pretty disappointed in Belize last February. It appears the lionfish have really devastated the fish stocks in the Caribbean unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom