A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know, but something other than master diver. I meet all the requirements and I'm a master of nothing.
I will always recognise you as my spiritual guide … master

🙇🏽‍♂️

Diver level 1, diver level 2, diver level 3 etc.....technical diver level 1 etc...cave diver level 1 etc.....
Similar to my thoughts. I wish "Advanced" open water was called something like intermediate open water. Then after all requirements are met for the current MSD, you could call that "Advanced Open Water Diver". I'd be more okay with that naming convention.

Don't know, but something other than master diver. I meet all the requirements and I'm a master of nothing.
First of all, it is not Master Diver. It is Master Scuba Diver. A Master Diver is a Navy term.
Secondly, if people wish to read into a title more than it is intended to mean, that's on them
Thirdly, The name is at least 30 years old (not sure when it started, but pre 1994) and words and their meaning evolve with time. Advanced Open Water NEVER meant you were an advanced diver, it only has meant -- from the beginning -- that you had advanced beyond Open Water. MSD NEVER meant you were a master of all things, only that you had achieved the highest recreational rating.
Far too much angst on SB about titles of stuff, and far too little understanding of the practical consequences of trying to change a name of something that has been around far lponger than many of the complainers have even lived.

I've mentioned this before, but some people stay motivated to progress if they have a milestone recognition. For those people, hey go for it. If that helps keep you on track to make progress, do it. What motivates me enough is getting away from the work grind, getting in the water, having fun and learning something new. If I was independently wealthy, I would dive every week.

As a newbie with around 100 dives and 8 "specialties" done, I kind of have an issue with the name "master diver". Even though I have more than the requirements, when I hear that title, I think of the folks here that have been diving for 30 years and have 10,000 dives- not me. It's like taking a weekend kickboxing class at the gym and then getting a black belt 😎

So, I don't have a problem with the milestone, I have an issue with the title. At the end of the day, I'm libertarian minded and everyone can do there own thing, and this is just my opinion.
Hi @RobPNW

I got MSD in 2005 after 5 specialties. I have not done any PADI training since then. I did get my SDI Solo in 2013. So now I have about 20x your number of dives. You have chosen to invest in 8 specialties in your much shorter dive history. What was good for me was good for me. I hope you feel the same about your dive training. Some would say you might have spent less time training and more time diving in your 1st 100 or so dives. There are an infinite number of opinions on this topic, some expressed in this thread.

I have done the course but never ever regarded myself as master!!!
Nothing to be proud/shame or whatnot.
If the agency wants to sell more of their courses then so be it.
It is a recreational sport afterall. PERIOD.

Diver level 1, diver level 2, diver level 3 etc.....technical diver level 1 etc...cave diver level 1 etc.....

While I often use cave diver level 1 or intro despite the fact that NSS-CDS has the name apprentice, as the limits are pretty similar across agencies even if they names are different.

I don't think tech 1 etc is that useful. As what of agencies that still allow deep air vs agencies that don't allow them. Heck GUE Tech 1 would be at least tech 2 under the TDI system, as AN/DP would be tech 1.

Back
Top Bottom